Hollymacdonald
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have gotten myself into quite a lot. When applying to uni for 2019/20 I was stuck with what to apply for. I made a decision to apply for diagnostic radiography at GCU, QMU, and RGU - and I also applied for radiotherapy and oncology at GCU and QMU. I started googling about the courses and have not heard many good reviews etc and I started to get worried. I am still waiting on offers for my number one choices from GCU. So I started looking at other courses and I have found one that I would rather do as it more fits what I want to do and now I am in full panic mode !!!! If anyone has had this situation could you please contact and help me, it would be appreciated!!!!
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know of someone who arrived at uni, attended 5 minutes of lectures in her 'chosen' subject and changed course on the first day.

that certainly wasn't a planned thing, but it can happen.

More likely, what you should do in your situation, is choose the closest course to that which you now wish to do, based on your current UCAS application for the diagnostic courses, go through the firm/insurance situation such that you do at least have a university place (I had a friend who received no offers last year, but he had excellent grades, just wrongly applied)

Then, plan a lot for "The Glorious Fifteenth" (of August 2019) when you can launch yourself into UCAS Adjustment/Clearing day and talk yourself into your 'new' favourite course. You'll need several computers, iPad's, mobile phone, landline, spare mobile phone and all the numbers of all the universities that you might wish to change to, also the Daily Telegraph prints some Adjustment guidelines , and various apps can also help. Seriously, you might be on the phone for four hours that Monday, I have done it and it is a bit like "D"-Day
Hollymacdonald
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you for your help.
The course I would rather do is Physiology and the 5 unis that do this is University of Glasgow, University of Edinburgh, University of Dundee, University of Aberdeen and University of St Andrews. None of which I have applied to. So I still feel stuck!!
(Original post by LuigiMario)
I know of someone who arrived at uni, attended 5 minutes of lectures in her 'chosen' subject and changed course on the first day.
that certainly wasn't a planned thing, but it can happen.

More likely, what you should do in your situation, is choose the closest course to that which you now wish to do, based on your current UCAS application for the diagnostic courses, go through the firm/insurance situation such that you do at least have a university place (I had a friend who received no offers last year, but he had excellent grades, just wrongly applied)

Then, plan a lot for "The Glorious Fifteenth" (of August 2019) when you can launch yourself into UCAS Adjustment/Clearing day and talk yourself into your 'new' favourite course. You'll need several computers, iPad's, mobile phone, landline, spare mobile phone and all the numbers of all the universities that you might wish to change to, also the Daily Telegraph prints some Adjustment guidelines , and various apps can also help. Seriously, you might be on the phone for four hours that Monday, I have done it and it is a bit like "D"-Day
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So, OK, one thing that you can do now is phone, say, the University of Dundee physiology department - [as it isn't going to affect the smooth running of your current UCAS choice for what were your chosen application subjects] - and ask if they have any advice!

I toured Napier, Dundee (very nice Kirkcaldy campus), UWS, Stirling for a friend for Nursing application in 2019, then she chose a completely different subject to apply for (Psychology!). I think there will always be a few percent of people who need to change, but the current UCAS system is not really set-up for that. My friend was lucky that she had this moment of choice before sending off the UCAS. The Scottish universities are also very busy at present trying to balance the needs for the 'home' students versus the 'free EU' students and the paying 'rest UK' and the 'outside EU', I think most/many courses have already allocated a basic 'home' offers - and are moving on to the rest of their customers...

can you check some sort of historic data and see if the new set of excellent universities that you have mentioned did offer clearing in 2018 or perhaps 2017 for your specific (possible) choice of Physiology, certainly the Telegraph.co.uk used to print long lists of which colleges and which courses were available in previous Clearing days. Clearing/Adjustment Day really does work well as a 'backup', but if there's another path that someone can suggest, you might have more options?

Exeter university even had Clearing for A100 Medicine in 2018, so popular courses do (rarely) crop up. I've no idea about Physiology!
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
from https://www.timeshighereducation.com...rses-available

still has some aggregate 2018 adjustment place availability information

University of Edinburgh had 6 courses available including agricultural science and divinity
University of Glasgow had 410 courses available including Celtic studies, genetics, sociology and zoology
University of Dundee had 220 courses available including civil engineering and European politics
University of Aberdeen had 384 courses available including immunology, natural philosophy and sports and exercise science

Quote: Some of the top universities in the UK are notably missing from the clearing catalogue including the University of St Andrews. However, many of the top universities in the UK have plenty of clearing places available for a range of courses. Students must contact universities directly in order to secure a place through clearing/adjustment.

looking further, and considering that you seem to be "trading up" in course terms - nothing wrong in that

QMU Radiography courses require about UCAS Points 96-102,

whilst Physiology at University of Aberdeen requires about UCAS Points 120-152,
114-192 at UoGlasgow,
114-136 at UoEdinburgh,
114-136 at Dundee,
and St. Andrews didn't give me any of that info.

I'd say, from my focus - which could be entirely different from your perspective - that it would be worth trying to do your best at your Highers, then try at least Aberdeen, Dundee & University of Glasgow for Clearing/Adjustment.

I did notice whilst looking for facts that Stirling on their website already mention Clearing/Adjustment

Quote: UCAS Clearing will open on 5 July 2019 – but it's always smart to get a head start! Register your interest in Clearing 2019 now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (260)
33.9%
No (507)
66.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise