The Student Room Group

Is a suit and tie too dressy for a PG interview?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You will be fine.
Reply 21
Original post by StriderHort
Never been to a post grad thing, but I'd go with the suit, esp if it's what I felt confident in, why not?. Don't worry about what the interviewer wears as they're on home turf. Whether a suit is appropriate for role/subject or not, it demonstrates you're taking things seriously and showing respect to the interview process. (IMO)

Very true.

I do quite want to go here so pressures on to make a good impression and succeed. :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by Bang Outta Order
blue?! thought ravenclaw was purple...nah Im gryffindor!

yeah just lace up the tie in the toilets or right outside the door in the car park if you get your conscience telling you to pop it on. just make sure you match, dont wanna look like Willy Wonka or Dr. Who lol.

aye. go brogue, or go home.

Welcome back, man.
Original post by CTLeafez

Tbf I have another decent formal tie, I'd just wear that if needbe.

Up to you OP, but, fwiw, I'd never wear a suit without a tie to an interview. It looks as though you wanted to go for businesswear, but hedged.

If you don't want to be as formal as suit + tie, go for some manner of smart casual dress. Something that looks like a complete dress code/ choice of its own, rather than not-quite-complete businesswear.
Have you never watched Kingsman? 'Oxford, not brogues'.

but is ravenclaw really blue?? lol

nah oxfords are boring
Original post by gjd800
Welcome back, man.

lol cheers, you're a good lad, but not really, it's just my rare day off. still hate this minging place :smile:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Up to you OP, but, fwiw, I'd never wear a suit without a tie to an interview. It looks as though you wanted to go for businesswear, but hedged.

If you don't want to be as formal as suit + tie, go for some manner of smart casual dress. Something that looks like a complete dress code/ choice of its own, rather than not-quite-complete businesswear.

I agree, much as I like an open neck shirt/suit combo it's not for interviews, more for cocktail bars and football managers.
Reply 27
I did all my postgrad stuff (and my job interview, ha) in torn jeans and band t shirts :laugh:
Original post by gjd800
I did all my postgrad stuff (and my job interview, ha) in torn jeans and band t shirts :laugh:

:toofunny:
Be yourself is my advice. If your personality matches the suit and tie, then it would make perfect sense to wear one. Like with most things in life: own it. This is your interview, you do you.

It is still a widely accepted standard amongst people over 30, that a suit and tie is always appropriate for interviews. You won’t be laughed at for wearing one, but yes, you might well be the only one wearing one. Hold you head high, wear your suit with confidence, and no one will bat an eyelid. If you look and feel embarrassed and uncomfortable in a suit, then don’t wear one - chinos and a blazer might do.

Otherwise, call the department up on the phone, old school style, and ask what the dress code is for PG interviews, you needn’t even say your name.

You sound like you are putting a great deal of thought and care into this, which will come across in your interview and you are bound to be successful!

Best of luck, Lucy
Original post by StriderHort
football managers.

:toofunny:
Reply 31
Original post by gjd800

I wouldn't dare even risk that :laugh:

From our previous threads conversations it seems like you've had an interesting academic experience.
Original post by gjd800

Makes me more confident about me studentship interview haha
Reply 33
Original post by Notoriety
Makes me more confident about me studentship interview haha

Oh good luck! I'm sure you will breeze it.
Reply 34
Original post by LucyDee1
Be yourself is my advice. If your personality matches the suit and tie, then it would make perfect sense to wear one. Like with most things in life: own it. This is your interview, you do you.

You sound like you are putting a great deal of thought and care into this, which will come across in your interview and you are bound to be successful!

Best of luck, Lucy

Thanks Lucy, I really appreciate your response. I am indeed putting a lot of thought into this. Maybe a lil' too much :biggrin: Interview is 11 days away and I've been practising interview questions for the last couple.

I definitely think my personality goes with a suit. I always seem to dress more on the shirt/formal side in day to day life. My friends think I should audition for the next Kingsman film with one of my suits. (Imagine Eggsy's orange blazer but in blue).
Reply 35
I wouldn't dare even risk that :laugh:

From our previous threads conversations it seems like you've had an interesting academic experience.

I went to my viva in a battered pair of jeans and a Behemoth t shirt as well. I don't really take seriously the focus on 'looking' academic, and I think you can get away with that more in philosophy departments. Everyone I know and have worked with just expects it from me now, so the job interview was pretty funny -- they just laughed and said 'we expected this, surprised you didn't bring a guitar' :laugh:
Original post by gjd800
Oh good luck! I'm sure you will breeze it.

Cheers, pal.
Reply 37
Original post by gjd800
I went to my viva in a battered pair of jeans and a Behemoth t shirt as well. I don't really take seriously the focus on 'looking' academic, and I think you can get away with that more in philosophy departments. Everyone I know and have worked with just expects it from me now, so the job interview was pretty funny -- they just laughed and said 'we expected this, surprised you didn't bring a guitar' :laugh:

You know you're iconic when your interviewer already knows about you :biggrin:

What was your doctorate viva in?
Reply 38
You're the one trying to make a good impression, so if they see you in a smart suit and tie, even for a job where you'll be in a Polo and Cargo trousers, go for it. Don't let them pick you up for anything, appearance is a deciding factor, if you don't want to do that, a jacket, smart chinos, smart shoes and buttoned shirt (Always have a tie, you can take it off later).

When I was working for John Lewis, I walked by the potentials with a cage of products, on the other side were a couple interviewers that pulled me over to ask for anyone that stood out for any reason, good and bad.
Reply 39
You know you're iconic when your interviewer already knows about you :biggrin:

What was your doctorate viva in?

I guess they just googled me!

Philosophy, specifically Indian philosophy. So lots of Sanskrit and Pali interspersed with some arguments, basically :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending