Salaried or Non-Salaried teacher trg ? Watch

anged
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am fortunate enough to have been offered, and I accepted, a non-salaried route in to teacher trg starting Sep 19. I have just left the armed forces after 22 years and find the prospect of no salary pretty daunting as I still have a mortgage, bills and 2 children still in primary school. A salaried vacancy has come up, albeit 18 miles away (current place is half a mile away). I would be extremely grateful for any views on which route would be best as I think I may apply for the salaried vacancy - although checking on my original UCAS application, I'm unsure how I can apply! Thank you very much in advance!
LucyDee1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello Anged,

I am in a similar position and totally understand your conundrum.

Firstly, it is my understanding that once your applications are sent, they are sent. My recollection is that you cannot then add to your list of ‘options’. So, you may well be umming and ahing over a total non-starter. But this is worth more research.

However, I have also been offered a non-salaried, local course. A long term, big benefit is that they hire almost all of their trainees, and I want a local job.

Alternatively, if I was to accept the salaried route, which for me is 20 miles away, I would be likely to receive a job offer 20 miles away, (12 months down the line).

In fact, I am thinking of accepting the non-salaried route, even if I am offered the salaried one, after my interview next week.

Can you get a student loan? A maintenance loan of £8k might not be THAT much worse than a £17k salary after fuel and tax etc. Also, are you truly going to feel fairly treated earning £17k for doing the role of a full time teacher? Because, from my understanding, that’s what you’re going to get in a salaried route. I fear that I would feel too hard done by, and taken advantage of, being paid so much less than the other teachers, for the same work.

Also, with the non-salaried option, you get the benefit of feeling part of the local community, and you can build your reputation and relationships amongst local, relevant schools (who will all be talking about and arguing over who gets to hire the best of the new pool of trainees!).

I wouldn’t feel that all is lost if you can no longer apply to the salaried route. The non-salaried route may well be your best option.

Hope this helps,
Lucy
anged
Rep:
?
Hi Lucy, Thank you so much for your reply. Everything you said definitely made me think about it even more.I had a sleepless night, and checked out the school's latest OFSTED at silly o'clock. And that pretty much made the decision for me. I won't be applying! As much as I love a challenge, and it would be great to make a difference to the children in an
anged
Rep:
?
sorry, don't know why there is half a reply - I did it on my phone! inadequate setting, the current staff will be under enough pressure as the school is under monitoring. I don't feel that would be the right environment for training. Also, one of the recommendations is that no NQT should be employed there, so it wouldn't matter how hard I worked, there would be no job at the end of it. Thank you again for your reply. Good Luck with the interview next week too!! And all the best with your new career, whichever route you choose to follow in the end :-)Ange x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
15.77%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (47)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (88)
19.01%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (65)
14.04%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (49)
10.58%
How can I be the best version of myself? (141)
30.45%

Watched Threads