AQA A Level History: Religious conflict and the Church in England,7042/2D-5 June 2019

Watch
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Exam thread for depth paper
Usxyd1999
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any predictions of what can come up?
Fonzworth
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any predictions?
Fd4AL
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fonzworth)
Any predictions?
Having seen the paper from last year, it covered Edward in the sources and the church in 1529, Mary and Elizabeth in the essay questions, no Henry at all. So if I was gonna make any bet on what may come up Henry would be top of the list by far. I also think Elizabeth may come up in some form. I'd hazard a guess and say Mary and Edward are less likely as they've come up a lot recently, but do not take my word for that. And also subjects such as factions and Rebellions (except for 1569 northern rebellion in one of the 2017 papers) haven't come up much so maybe something on them. But as I said, don't take my word on this as I maybe wrong, although I'm absolutely convinced Henry will turn up in some capacity since he wasn't on last years paper at all.
Fonzworth
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fd4AL)
Having seen the paper from last year, it covered Edward in the sources and the church in 1529, Mary and Elizabeth in the essay questions, no Henry at all. So if I was gonna make any bet on what may come up Henry would be top of the list by far. I also think Elizabeth may come up in some form. I'd hazard a guess and say Mary and Edward are less likely as they've come up a lot recently, but do not take my word for that. And also subjects such as factions and Rebellions (except for 1569 northern rebellion in one of the 2017 papers) haven't come up much so maybe something on them. But as I said, don't take my word on this as I maybe wrong, although I'm absolutely convinced Henry will turn up in some capacity since he wasn't on last years paper at all.
Thank you this gives me some hope! Also can I ask what resources you have used to study this course? I have the new textbook but I feel it doesn't give a lot of detail
Fd4AL
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fonzworth)
Thank you this gives me some hope! Also can I ask what resources you have used to study this course? I have the new textbook but I feel it doesn't give a lot of detail
Maybe a bit late but aside from the textbook I have generally used old past papers to go over topics in an exam format, youtube videos on the subject and the get revising website which has some really good revision materials.
Fd4AL
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So how did everyone find it? I wasn't expecting those questions. The sources were ok but aside from the Edward one, the essay questions were quite vague and hard to find enough points to make a full answer I found.
geo123lyn
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wow it's interesting you found the sources okay - our entire year HATED them and thought it was unfair to ask about bishops. I quite liked the essay questions - i answered the Edward and Mary ones. I get what you mean about quite vague though.

For Edward - I argued it was completely protestant in doctrine but not completely protestant at its roots due to his early death and continuation of Catholicism.

For Mary - I argued she got hostility from parliament who voted against her and from exiles and martyrs who burnt. Then I argued ultimately this hostility was not due to religion - but over church land. Then I argued that some people were not hostile and embraced Catholicism.

I flopped the sources but think the essays went okay
(Original post by Fd4AL)
So how did everyone find it? I wasn't expecting those questions. The sources were ok but aside from the Edward one, the essay questions were quite vague and hard to find enough points to make a full answer I found.
Chloee_M
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The sources were good, but you had to think hard to fit in context. I ended up talking about Royal Supremacy/Wolsey's titles and actions etc.
I agree the questions were vague. For the Edward one I talked about how the doctrine was Protestant and fitted in the second Prayer book, but how not everyone was.
I chose the monastery question but almost chose Mary.
Overall feel happy

(Original post by Fd4AL)
will_the_latic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wrote 5 pages for the Edward question but 3 pages for Mary because I had more to put on Edward. However, I kind of wish I'd done 4 for each because I missed out a few points on Mary due to not having enough time. Do you think 3 pages is enough for the absence of say 3/4 extra points not to make a difference, assuming that the stuff I wrote was expanded on/both sides of the argument/relevant?
Fd4AL
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by geo123lyn)
Wow it's interesting you found the sources okay - our entire year HATED them and thought it was unfair to ask about bishops. I quite liked the essay questions - i answered the Edward and Mary ones. I get what you mean about quite vague though.

For Edward - I argued it was completely protestant in doctrine but not completely protestant at its roots due to his early death and continuation of Catholicism.

For Mary - I argued she got hostility from parliament who voted against her and from exiles and martyrs who burnt. Then I argued ultimately this hostility was not due to religion - but over church land. Then I argued that some people were not hostile and embraced Catholicism.

Tbh most of my source answers were about the ability to check and criticise the bishops and how by 1529 it was acceptable to openly speak out against them (enter robert hunne examples), as well as their position in regard to the king and the pope,plus wolsey, lots of wolsey.
Essays i did same as you. For Edward I spoke about changes in doctrine and liturgy, the composition of church leadership (cranmer as archbishop) and how that drove religious change within the church, and also how he died early and couldn't sort out outstanding issues like the 42 articles and the devise against Mary, plus the fact most of England was catholic.
for Mary I talked the opposition of landowners to hand over former monastic land, stuff surrounding persecutions, and religious undertones in Wyatt's rebellion because i was running out of ideas. against the view i talked about the succession crisis and Mary's success, the marriage and how she saw fairly few rebellions compared to the others.
Last edited by Fd4AL; 2 years ago
Fd4AL
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Chloee_M)
The sources were good, but you had to think hard to fit in context. I ended up talking about Royal Supremacy/Wolsey's titles and actions etc.
I agree the questions were vague. For the Edward one I talked about how the doctrine was Protestant and fitted in the second Prayer book, but how not everyone was.
I chose the monastery question but almost chose Mary.
Overall feel happy
What would you put for the monasteries question? all I could think of was pilgrimage of grace/lincolnshire rising and the impact on communities who relied on the monasteries. Maybe about education as well or something?
Fd4AL
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by will_the_latic)
I wrote 5 pages for the Edward question but 3 pages for Mary because I had more to put on Edward. However, I kind of wish I'd done 4 for each because I missed out a few points on Mary due to not having enough time. Do you think 3 pages is enough for the absence of say 3/4 extra points not to make a difference, assuming that the stuff I wrote was expanded on/both sides of the argument/relevant?
I think 3 pages would probably be enough. I think I did about 4 on each essay question
ashleyawosika
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by geo123lyn)

Spoiler:
Show
For Edward I said that it wasn’t Protestant in doctrine because the 42 articles were never passed due to his untimely death and most of the country weren’t Protestant either. Therefore it was easy for the Marian parliament to repeal all the laws. Most people didn’t really listen to the acts that were made in parliament
syllie19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
is anybody selling the textbook for this course?
anonymous1943
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what were the questions on the paper?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.23%
Uncertainty around my education (67)
11.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.5%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.75%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (30)
5.23%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (61)
10.63%
Financial worries (36)
6.27%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (23)
4.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.92%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.61%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (57)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.19%

Watched Threads