The Student Room Group

AQA A Level History: Democracy and Nazism: Germany, 1918–1945, 7042/2O - 5 June 2019

Exam thread for depth paper

Scroll to see replies

I'm studying for the paper in May, since i tried taking it in JAnuary, and unexpectedly got a D. I supposed it was due to the fact that our teacher, who isn't qualified, was teaching us a really OFF essay structure and was pretty bad and teaching the material. Either way, i really want to get an A in History since i'm capable of it.
Is anyone else unable to find past papers for it? The Edexcel website just deleted them all..
any predictions for this years paper??
Reply 3
Any predictions??? Anyone???
Reply 4
Original post by Crazy26
Any predictions??? Anyone???

Looking at last years paper, there could be an essay question on social stuff (at anytime in the period) as there wasn’t last year, neither did anti-semitism feature- though it was in the 2017 paper.

In a perfect world i would like wartime opposition, and perhaps something economic based, though I think it could be a tough paper overall and I’m quite nervous for it...
Reply 5
These are some topics that I don't think have come up much on the AQA 2014 specimen papers and the 2017 and 2018 papers:

- German Revolution, 1918-19
- Social/Cultural Stability, 1924-29
- Foreign Policy, 1924-29
- Nazi Popularity and Collapse of Democracy, 1928-33
- Terror State, 1933-39
- Economy, 1933-39
- Radicalisation, 1933-41 (including anti-Semitism, 1933-39)
- Social Impact of War, 1939-45

The German Revolution and the Nazi Party's electoral successes especially haven't come up before. Then again, my predictions for the Stuart Monarchy paper were mostly wrong so... :s-smilie:
What could they ask about the German revolution?
Original post by luke.ah
These are some topics that I don't think have come up much on the AQA 2014 specimen papers and the 2017 and 2018 papers:

- German Revolution, 1918-19
- Social/Cultural Stability, 1924-29
- Foreign Policy, 1924-29
- Nazi Popularity and Collapse of Democracy, 1928-33
- Terror State, 1933-39
- Economy, 1933-39
- Radicalisation, 1933-41 (including anti-Semitism, 1933-39)
- Social Impact of War, 1939-45

The German Revolution and the Nazi Party's electoral successes especially haven't come up before. Then again, my predictions for the Stuart Monarchy paper were mostly wrong so... :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by sophie.jane
What could they ask about the German revolution?

It could be about the nature of the German Revolution - whether it was from above, from below, or even much of a revolution at all - though, this would focus only on late 1918 to mid-1919, which would be tough. Alternatively, could be a source question?
Is there a time scale required for questions like in the breadth paper or can it be any time because it's a depth paper?
Original post by luke.ah
It could be about the nature of the German Revolution - whether it was from above, from below, or even much of a revolution at all - though, this would focus only on late 1918 to mid-1919, which would be tough. Alternatively, could be a source question?
Reply 9
Is there a time scale required for questions like in the breadth paper or can it be any time because it's a depth paper?

I think the essay questions usually specify a time scale ranging from around 2 to 6 years. For example, these were on the 2018 Paper:

'To what extent was the Nazi consolidation of power in the years 1933 and 1934 achieved by legal means?' (1-2 years)

‘The German economy was adapted successfully to meet the demands of war before 1945.’ (more open-ended but would usually discuss years 1938-45)
Thanks so much!!
Original post by luke.ah
I think the essay questions usually specify a time scale ranging from around 2 to 6 years. For example, these were on the 2018 Paper:

'To what extent was the Nazi consolidation of power in the years 1933 and 1934 achieved by legal means?' (1-2 years)

‘The German economy was adapted successfully to meet the demands of war before 1945.’ (more open-ended but would usually discuss years 1938-45)
How do we structure answers? I feel like a lot of the essay questions in the past have been quite restrictive, e.g. last year's ‘The impact of the Treaty of Versailles on the new Weimar Republic between 1919 and 1924 was more damaging economically than politically.’
Would I do two paragraphs on economic impact and one on political? Or do I bring in another factor?
Reply 12
How do we structure answers? I feel like a lot of the essay questions in the past have been quite restrictive, e.g. last year's ‘The impact of the Treaty of Versailles on the new Weimar Republic between 1919 and 1924 was more damaging economically than politically.’
Would I do two paragraphs on economic impact and one on political? Or do I bring in another factor?

If you find it restrictive, you can broaden it out to more a question concerning overall issues that faced the Republic, 1919-24, and how responsible the Treaty of Versailles was for this - though, make sure you keep referring back to the question to stay focused. You could do more than one for economic and/or political, or use evidence as points (which might be less restrictive).

Examples could be:
- The immediate reaction in Germany (mostly political/social rather than economic).
- Left-wing and/or right-wing reaction (political, compare how directly unrest was linked to anti-Versailles or more just anti-Weimar).
- Inflation and, after the Ruhr occupation, hyperinflation (economic, compare whether it was the Treaty itself or the Republic's reaction to it).

Particularly as the date range is up to 1924, you could argue that the economic impact was clearly not that damaging as it was partially resolved in late 1923 / 1924 (such as with Stresemann's cutting expenditure, the Rentenmark, the Dawes Plan, etc).

Hope that makes sense, not the best explanation :biggrin::s-smilie:
Thankyou!!! (again :biggrin:)
Original post by luke.ah
If you find it restrictive, you can broaden it out to more a question concerning overall issues that faced the Republic, 1919-24, and how responsible the Treaty of Versailles was for this - though, make sure you keep referring back to the question to stay focused. You could do more than one for economic and/or political, or use evidence as points (which might be less restrictive).

Examples could be:
- The immediate reaction in Germany (mostly political/social rather than economic).
- Left-wing and/or right-wing reaction (political, compare how directly unrest was linked to anti-Versailles or more just anti-Weimar).
- Inflation and, after the Ruhr occupation, hyperinflation (economic, compare whether it was the Treaty itself or the Republic's reaction to it).

Particularly as the date range is up to 1924, you could argue that the economic impact was clearly not that damaging as it was partially resolved in late 1923 / 1924 (such as with Stresemann's cutting expenditure, the Rentenmark, the Dawes Plan, etc).

Hope that makes sense, not the best explanation :biggrin::s-smilie:
Reply 14
In stress accidentally referred to Hitler as ‘President’ instead of ‘Chancellor’ in the Chancellorship question... facts and figures were right for the most part do u think they’d care abt this
Did you do it all the way through the essay or did you get chancellorship in a couple times?
Original post by ujabri
In stress accidentally referred to Hitler as ‘President’ instead of ‘Chancellor’ in the Chancellorship question... facts and figures were right for the most part do u think they’d care abt this
Can anyone remember the wording of the 4th question, regarding Hitler's policies towards Jews and other minorities. Was it consistent or contradictory??
It was something along the lines of Nazi persecution of Jews and other minorities between 1933-1941 was consistent.
Original post by emilina1999
Can anyone remember the wording of the 4th question, regarding Hitler's policies towards Jews and other minorities. Was it consistent or contradictory??
Hitler's policies for Jews and other minorities were consistent between the years 1933 and 1941 something like that
Original post by emilina1999
Thank you, I came out and someone in my class said it was 'contradictory' not consistent and I panicked !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending