The Student Room Group

Isolation at university

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has any tips to help counter isolation or being lonely at university?
Original post by LondonGers
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has any tips to help counter isolation or being lonely at university?

It really depends on your personality and what specifically is worrying you, whether it's meeting people in the first place, making lifelong friends or just not being on your own in your room all day. Ultimately some people are quite happy being relatively isolated, whilst others feel they need to be as involved as possible.

Things like joining clubs and societies is usually an easy way to meet people, but there will also be course meets and you'll meet people in your accommodation. You will probably meet a lot of people who will only be your friend for a short period. Going to university is an adjustment period for most people, so you can expect to have a lot of short-term friends. Most universities have things in place to help students feel involved.

Have you tried to be pro-active and get yourself out there and meeting people? It can be all too easy to stay in your room but making the conscious effort to join societies, attend events, introduce yourself to course mates, flatmates and other students in your accommodation will help to increase your confidence and your chances of making friends. You won't be expected to be friends with everyone you meet (in my first few weeks, I met a lot of people, most of whose names I forgot and never really talked to again for the rest of the year) but there will be people who you click with.

My biggest recommendation for this is societies and meetups - even if you don't click with anyone there, having a bunch of people around who like the same things as you is a good way to spend a couple of hours, and can really help to ease off loneliness. I'd also suggest trying to strike up a conversation in a tutorial or similar, if you have any - a quick question about a piece of work can open more conversation than you might expect.
i went to the gym a lot to get out the house for a couple hours. get bigger stronger it feels good, boosts mood and transcends into other areas. i also studied most nights and went to the library. i was abit like u really felt lonely and isolated most of the time. but i did have friends and went out. but it was like once a week at best so it was 6 days on own mostly
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi @LondonGers

I am sorry to hear of the difficulties that you have been experiencing with isolation.

I would encourage you to go and speak to your universities Student Union, who will run various clubs and societies relating to your interests. This is a great way of meeting new people that you already have something in common with.

I would also advise you to spend as little time as possible alone in your room. Sitting in your room alone is likely to make you feel lonelier than you are. Try going to the library or to a cafe to work anywhere where there are people around.

If you are finding the loneliness and isolation to be overwhelming I would encourage you to speak to your universities well-being department who can support to to make a plan going forward.

Please let me know if there is anything further I can help you with :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending