The Student Room Group

applying to north America Ivy League unis

hi! im interested in applying to the top universities in North America
however does anyone know the in depth process?
like where do sats take place?
and what is the criteria to apply?
if anyone has any advice that would be great
thank u
Reply 1
Original post by hellohellohey
hi! im interested in applying to the top universities in North America
however does anyone know the in depth process?
like where do sats take place?
and what is the criteria to apply?
if anyone has any advice that would be great
thank u

Hi, I've moved this to the Studying in North America forum. Have a look at the stickied threads at the top of the forum for some initial advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Look on The Fulbright commission website and visit their uk/us college day if you can as they run some useful talks and lots of us colleges are there- and the collegeboard website can tell you where SATs are being run (mostly posh private schools). You need to register at least 2 months before to get a seat so the sooner the better. Khan academy has some free preparation resources. After that the Ivy League colleges have good websites that also help with application deadline schedules too. You also need to get your school on side as they have to complete some info and references on the applications and my daughter’s school had never done it before so needed some time and encouragement to do it! You can do it all by yourself so don’t be daunted as you just need to follow all the steps - but need to be determined to get it all done. My daughter did in 2016/17 and is now a sophomore at an ivy and really glad she persevered. Good luck!
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi!

1) The very first step you need to take is defining what you mean by 'top' universities in the US. Top 35? (equivalent to top 3/4 in the UK, in terms of the intelligence of the student body). top 20? top 10? From here you will be able to determine the level are currently at relative to where you need to be to have a realistic chance of gaining admission, therefore how hard you will need to work. You need to check to see if you are 'qualified'
2) I was born n raised in the UK and am at Columbia. I had offers from MIT, other Ivies, and Stanford. hit me up for advice, or just ask here for input from others.
3) Standardized testing takes place all year round. there are loads of testing centres in the UK. Pick one test (the SAT or the ACT) and check websites for where and when the tests will be, and for registration. some colleges will have requirements for testing, so check the websites of the colleges you are interested in first. some elite colleges like the Univ of Chicago dont require the ACT or SAT for admission. This by no means makes admission easier.
The full criteria to apply is on the Fulbright website, but a GREAT first step would be to make a start on the Common Application, the system used to submit your academics etc to all the colleges you will be applying to. Here: https://www.commonapp.org/

Original post by Ivymaybe
Look on The Fulbright commission website and visit their uk/us college day if you can as they run some useful talks and lots of us colleges are there- and the collegeboard website can tell you where SATs are being run (mostly posh private schools). You need to register at least 2 months before to get a seat so the sooner the better. Khan academy has some free preparation resources. After that the Ivy League colleges have good websites that also help with application deadline schedules too. You also need to get your school on side as they have to complete some info and references on the applications and my daughter’s school had never done it before so needed some time and encouragement to do it! You can do it all by yourself so don’t be daunted as you just need to follow all the steps - but need to be determined to get it all done. My daughter did in 2016/17 and is now a sophomore at an ivy and really glad she persevered. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending