The Student Room Group

Pension Contributions

I am a Parent
Filling in the finance info & it asks for pension contributions.
Do I put in the amount before or after Tax relief?
NB. I do not earn enough to pay tax.
Original post by Diane1969
I am a Parent
Filling in the finance info & it asks for pension contributions.
Do I put in the amount before or after Tax relief?
NB. I do not earn enough to pay tax.

It should be the amount listed on your P60 for the 17/18 tax year.
Reply 2
It is a private private pension & isnt linked to my employment & P60. I get a seperate tax statement from the pension company.
The amount I have to put on my Tax credit renewals is after tax relief
It is a private private pension & isnt linked to my employment & P60. I get a seperate tax statement from the pension company.
The amount I have to put on my Tax credit renewals is after tax relief

The instructions say “Complete section 5 in the same way you completed section 3 giving gross financial details for the tax year from 6 April 2017 to 5 April 2018.”

Does the statement from your pension company state a gross contribution?
Reply 4
My pension statement says: your contributions, tax relief, total contributions
I contacted Student Finance & they said to put before tax relief which is the lesser figure

Original post by PQ
The instructions say “Complete section 5 in the same way you completed section 3 giving gross financial details for the tax year from 6 April 2017 to 5 April 2018.”

Does the statement from your pension company state a gross contribution?
My pension statement says: your contributions, tax relief, total contributions
I contacted Student Finance & they said to put before tax relief which is the lesser figure

Hi Diane, when providing figure from your private pension which receives tax relief, and this is portable if you change job then this would be taken into account when carrying out the assessment, therefore we would need to see it. Thanks, Aaron.
Reply 6
Part of the confusion is people understanding that my Private Pension is in no way connected/linked to any job that I may or may not have. Nor does it matter if I changed jobs.
I had a message from Stuart SFE this morning. He gave me the answer I needed & why.
I put in the higher figure which includes Tax Relief. This is the gross figure. I will also need to provide my Pension Statement from the appropriate tax year when requested.

Original post by SFE Aaron
Hi Diane, when providing figure from your private pension which receives tax relief, and this is portable if you change job then this would be taken into account when carrying out the assessment, therefore we would need to see it. Thanks, Aaron.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending