What do you think Jussie Smolett was trying to achieve?

Watch this thread
Occitanie
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I’ve been watching this video on his body language during his ABC interview, which you can watch here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sH7IalJyMjk#

I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum since the “attack” happened, but I’m still curious about his motive.

I would go so far to call him a megalomaniac, narcissist or even a sociopath.
Last edited by Occitanie; 3 years ago
BenK64
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
I think it was just a way to make 'the right'/ republicans look bad. Politics in the US has become so vitriolic and so dividing that people are losing sight of what's meaningful in life. I mean really when did politics become so damn important. People let it define their lives, their friendships, their behavior etc. They treat the other political side like they're the evil enemy. Jussie like so many others has become possessed by politics and his ideology. Staging an attack on yourself to try to get one group of people to hate another group of people (even more) is disturbing and ****ed up in so many ways.
Jjj90
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hasn't it already been established that he did it to boost his notoriety?
username4349612
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Victim status/stir up racial tension.

He should be ashamed of himself.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
He’s made it worse for people who are true victims of racism.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I would go so far to call anyone making moral judgements on a criminal case which hasn't yet concluded, who have no connection or awareness of the case other than what is reported in the popular media, quite stupid.

So much for due process though.
BenK64
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I would go so far to call anyone making moral judgements on a criminal case which hasn't yet concluded, who have no connection or awareness of the case other than what is reported in the popular media, quite stupid.

The guys who did the ‘attack’ have literally admitted it was fake
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BenK64)
The guys who did the ‘attack’ have literally admitted it was fake
They also literally did so after being held for nearly 48 hours, and also literally before and after their confession have changed their story. Aside from that, regardless of whether they have or have not confessed to anything, that doesn't change the fact you are not part of that case, nor are any of the media outlets reporting it.

If the courts clear him of any wrongdoing, then what? You ignore this, and pronounce him guilty anyway? And even if they do find him guilty, that doesn't imply anything about why he did it, so...this is all still a pointless exercise.

At the very least if you waited for the case to finish, you might not appear to be a reactionary who just parrots the opinion of the news media you last consumed.
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Occitanie)
I’ve been watching this video on his body language during his ABC interview, which you can watch here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sH7IalJyMjk#

I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum since the “attack” happened, but I’m still curious about his motive.

I would go so far to call him a megalomaniac, narcissist or even a sociopath.
I think he is an idiot, if he indeed paid his attackers. He has ruined the discussion around racism and violence for the millions of people living in the US, whether white, black, African or Asian.

First, it appears that he tried to include himself into the anti-Trump narrative that did not require his inclusion.

Second, it creates a new narrative that victims of actual crimes or harrasments might be making it up or lying.

Finally, it gives firepower to the racists and bigots, who scream that racism does not exist and that it is in the heads of SJWs or “loony liberals”.

I think he should be reprimanded for this, but going to jail should be out of the question.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I think it was just a way to make 'the right'/ republicans look bad. Politics in the US has become so vitriolic and so dividing that people are losing sight of what's meaningful in life. I mean really when did politics become so damn important. People let it define their lives, their friendships, their behavior etc. They treat the other political side like they're the evil enemy. Jussie like so many others has become possessed by politics and his ideology. Staging an attack on yourself to try to get one group of people to hate another group of people (even more) is disturbing and ****ed up in so many ways.
“I mean really when did politics become so damn important. People let it define their lives, their friendships, their behavior etc”

it became that important to people, when the political class seized control of every part of a persons life. There was an interesting legal comparison of 2015, to 1915 in the UK on a website a while back (i'll see if I can find it) that showed how invasive politics was to the ordinary persons life.

Needless to say in 1915 for an ordinary individual it had little to no impact. The role of government in their life was pretty much:
- provide basic services
- protect the nation against threats
- collect taxes.
Done. Everything else beyond that was the role of the family, the church, the community, and the individual.

These days, if you tried to make a list of the areas of your life that the government intervenes in, it would take pages. You would make a much smaller list of the areas where the government doesn't actually have any control (if you can find any).

Now, not all of the increase is bad. Obviously there have been some great ways in which the government has more influence on your lives, workers rights, the NHS, public education etc. etc.

But equally there have been so many, that the government is replacing all of our other functions. For many, especially the elderly and single parents, the goverment is now your de-facto family.. local communities have lost most of their influence to councils and goverments.. church groups have had their influence diminished, and all of it has been sucked up into the centralised goverment. After all, its very easy for a goverment to take power... its very very hard to make a goverment give it back.

So multiple wars, terror threats, strikes, market events, recessions etc. Any time a bad thing happens, the government takes power. WW1 + 2 were the biggest examples. Pre-WW1 governmental britian was bassically a different legal and legislative country then post WW2 Britannia.

So now, its no longer a case that the goverment is just this political thing that you can only care a bit about...

Now the goverment is everything, they litterally control most of your life.. they will care for you if you are sick, they will take care of you when your older.. they will give you money when you can't work.. they will take care of your babies, and educate your children. The goverment is your family now, and the more the goverment gets in your life, the more you care about who the goverment is, and what they do.

So that's why people get so angry now... it matters so much more then it used to to actual tangable parts of their lives.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

I hope you are happy calling almost all of the liberal media in the US and UK, and the vast majority of liberal-leaning websites and financial individuals, stupid.

After all, they were the first to make a moral judgement, and leap to a conclusion - declaring it a fact that the had been attacked in a racist manner, before any facts or evidence were found.

As for the case, all you can say is that it didn't happen in the exact way he said it did. That much is abundantly clear, even if we still can't be 100% sure (can we ever?). The specific details, obviously we can't know yet until after the investigation.
Underscore__
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I think his ABC interview made his motivations quite clear. He’s so anti-Trump (and immature) that he won’t even say the man’s name. There’s also that he apparently thought he was getting from Empire?
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
They also literally did so after being held for nearly 48 hours, and also literally before and after their confession have changed their story. Aside from that, regardless of whether they have or have not confessed to anything, that doesn't change the fact you are not part of that case, nor are any of the media outlets reporting it.

If the courts clear him of any wrongdoing, then what? You ignore this, and pronounce him guilty anyway? And even if they do find him guilty, that doesn't imply anything about why he did it, so...this is all still a pointless exercise.

At the very least if you waited for the case to finish, you might not appear to be a reactionary who just parrots the opinion of the news media you last consumed.
There's enough damning evidence made public that it's pretty obvious Smollett faked this hate crime. The police made that clear in the press conference when they walked us through what they had discovered. There's even video and transaction records of the brothers buying the rope that Smollett had around his neck.

Even though he hasn't had the formality of a trial or technically been found guilty of anything yet, I really don't think we have to wait for that in order to pass judgement at this point.
Last edited by username521617; 3 years ago
Occitanie
Rep:

What?

Aren’t I entitled to form my own opinion?
Obolinda
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Don't know, don't care tbh. Only Jussie can explain himself
BenK64
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
“I mean really when did politics become so damn important. People let it define their lives, their friendships, their behavior etc”

it became that important to people, when the political class seized control of every part of a persons life. There was an interesting legal comparison of 2015, to 1915 in the UK on a website a while back (i'll see if I can find it) that showed how invasive politics was to the ordinary persons life.

Needless to say in 1915 for an ordinary individual it had little to no impact. The role of government in their life was pretty much:
- provide basic services
- protect the nation against threats
- collect taxes.
Done. Everything else beyond that was the role of the family, the church, the community, and the individual.

These days, if you tried to make a list of the areas of your life that the government intervenes in, it would take pages. You would make a much smaller list of the areas where the government doesn't actually have any control (if you can find any).

Now, not all of the increase is bad. Obviously there have been some great ways in which the government has more influence on your lives, workers rights, the NHS, public education etc. etc.

But equally there have been so many, that the government is replacing all of our other functions. For many, especially the elderly and single parents, the goverment is now your de-facto family.. local communities have lost most of their influence to councils and goverments.. church groups have had their influence diminished, and all of it has been sucked up into the centralised goverment. After all, its very easy for a goverment to take power... its very very hard to make a goverment give it back.

So multiple wars, terror threats, strikes, market events, recessions etc. Any time a bad thing happens, the government takes power. WW1 + 2 were the biggest examples. Pre-WW1 governmental britian was bassically a different legal and legislative country then post WW2 Britannia.

So now, its no longer a case that the goverment is just this political thing that you can only care a bit about...

Now the goverment is everything, they litterally control most of your life.. they will care for you if you are sick, they will take care of you when your older.. they will give you money when you can't work.. they will take care of your babies, and educate your children. The goverment is your family now, and the more the goverment gets in your life, the more you care about who the goverment is, and what they do.

So that's why people get so angry now... it matters so much more then it used to to actual tangable parts of their lives.
This is a fair and good point. I guess sometimes I can’t help but get bored of it all. Like if I meet a new person, the last thing I care about is their political leaning / the party they last voted for (providing its not some extremist position). I much more interested in them as an individual, their interests, likes dislikes etc. In the US I feel like your party defines who are and the social groups you’re ‘allowed’ to be in.
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
This is a fair and good point. I guess sometimes I can’t help but get bored of it all. Like if I meet a new person, the last thing I care about is their political leaning / the party they last voted for (providing its not some extremist position). I much more interested in them as an individual, their interests, likes dislikes etc. In the US I feel like your party defines who are and the social groups you’re ‘allowed’ to be in.
I think the UK is gradually becoming the same way, whether it is Brexit, Corbyn, transgenderism, feminism, religious or political extremism, social justice or any other pressing issue. You are required to support the majority, if you deviate or have no opinion you are labelled a scum, who supports an authoritarian system of oppression.

We now play so much identity politics that we pretend in public, whilst airing our views in private.
HighOnGoofballs
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

A student forum is not a court. We're allowed to put forth opinions and thoughts surrounding a case.
Occitanie
Rep:
(Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
A student forum is not a court. We're allowed to put forth opinions and thoughts surrounding a case.
+1

And calling me ‘stupid’ for having an opinion makes him a bigot.
Just my opinion
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
He’s made it worse for people who are true victims of racism.
Here is another 600+ making it worse for people who are true victims of racism.

ttps://www.fakehatemap.com/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (143)
40.51%
They're exactly what I expected (86)