st andrews reputation

Watch this thread
dmedicb
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hiya.. so i've got an offer for st andrews but am a bit apprehensive about the reputation.

i know st andrews will have a LOT of v posh people, and it has a reputation of being pretty daddy's money, rah type thing (prince wills probably didn't help this!). I also know st andrews works hard to get contextual data people in from the local area.

However, i was wondering if theres still a scene of middle class people?

Im from a pretty upper middle class, london commuter town in sussex, and whilst i feel it's a bit posh sometimes and get annoyed at the tory mp, i don't want to feel completely out of place in st andrews.

Also, whats the scottish opinion of st andrews? like is going to edinburgh or glasgow much more aspirational as st andrews has such a posh english reputation?

finally, does st andrews do any sort of questionnaire before sorting people into apartments in halls so that you don't end up with people completely different to you? (my sister's uni didn't and now a term and a half in only ever sees 1/7 in her apartment)

i'm sorry if any of this sounds offensive at all - i really don't mean to be and i know when i get there i'll be friends with anyone of all backgrounds/classes - just would be nice to properly get the low down being quite frank
Last edited by dmedicb; 3 years ago
thomas4044
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
I'm off to St Andrews and feel the same. I'm from a lower/working class background myself. There is a lot of money at St. Andrews from what I've heard, but there shouldn't be any issues for people to fit in. At the end of the day, university is filled with adults, even if most are young adults. The maturity is higher than in school, or so you'd expect. I don't think someone from a middle class background will have trouble fitting in.

As for the Scottish opinion, I'm English myself but live in Scotland and have done for a few years. Everyone in Scotland treats St. Andrews how English people would treat Cambridge/Oxford. If you get a place at St. Andrews you're considered to be intelligent. A lot of people try and fail to get in, and many do not apply simply because they feel they would never get a place. It's highly regarded by Scots, and rightfully so being the best university in Scotland. It does have a posh English reputation, but that doesn't make people think negatively of it.

I can't comment on the halls process, but I've heard it matches people based on hobbies and interests.
Roses555
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by beddall01)
Hiya.. so i've got an offer for st andrews but am a bit apprehensive about the reputation.

i know st andrews will have a LOT of v posh people, and it has a reputation of being pretty daddy's money, rah type thing (prince wills probably didn't help this!). I also know st andrews works hard to get contextual data people in from the local area.

However, i was wondering if theres still a scene of middle class people?

Im from a pretty upper middle class, london commuter town in sussex, and whilst i feel it's a bit posh sometimes and get annoyed at the tory mp, i don't want to feel completely out of place in st andrews.

Also, whats the scottish opinion of st andrews? like is going to edinburgh or glasgow much more aspirational as st andrews has such a posh english reputation?

finally, does st andrews do any sort of questionnaire before sorting people into apartments in halls so that you don't end up with people completely different to you? (my sister's uni didn't and now a term and a half in only ever sees 1/7 in her apartment)

i'm sorry if any of this sounds offensive at all - i really don't mean to be and i know when i get there i'll be friends with anyone of all backgrounds/classes - just would be nice to properly get the low down being quite frank
I visited the uni to see my friend and met some people who studied there, and, they said they hadn't really encountered many "rah" types. It's not as much of a problem as they'd thought it would be which reassured me a lot.

And St Andrews is considered the best uni in Scotland, when I got in everyone was really surprised. (mood:lol:) It does have that posh English rep though, but, probably wrongly, people go there from all over the place.

And I checked about this cause I wondered too since I'm starting this year as well, there is a questionnaire everyone fills in but it's more geared towards people sharing rooms, it doesn't really apply to single rooms, they're done more based on age. Still, I'll answer the form anyways, cause they could change their policy.
JainaRose
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I'm a second-year American studying here. There's certainly a subset of people who have a LOT of money, but to be honest most people are very pleasant. Just because people have money doesn't mean they're automatically unpleasant snobs. I have some friends who are very normal, down-to-earth, etc., and then out of the blue they'll mention their family's second house or something and I realise they have a lot more money than I'd have thought. It just isn't much of a big deal most of the time, and there are certainly also a lot of people here (most of the people I know, in fact) who are not exorbitantly wealthy or posh. The subset who are, you can avoid if you really can't stand them. The really snobby ones are easy to avoid since they ignore most people anyway.

The bottom line is that there's quite a bit of social mixing here. No one (or at least very few people) cares how much money you have or what your background is. It's really just about you and how you behave and treat other people. I don't recommend worrying too much about what boxes you think people here will fall into, because it's not really a boxes sort of place. (That goes double for nationalities, there are so many people who have very complicated international backgrounds.)

As for Scottish outlook on St Andrews, I might be biased but I agree with Roses555 that St Andrews is known as the best uni in Scotland. It's totally valid to choose to go to Edinburgh instead, but everyone seems to have a baseline knowledge that St Andrews is a very stellar uni. There probably are people who look down their noses at it for being too "English", but not the people I've met here.

When you apply for accommodation you answer questions about whether you're an early or late riser and what sort of hobbies you have. You can also choose alcohol-free accommodation if that's something you're interested in requesting, and I believe there's a new green-living setup in one of the DRA buildings that you can request to be in. Other than that, you just choose what sort of room you want (catered, shared, en-suite, etc.) and they allocate you a place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.15%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
25.25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (55)
55.56%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.04%

Watched Threads