Busting project fear - WTO £1.3 trillion market for UK Watch

PilgrimOfTruth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
WTO agreement means £1.3 trillion market for UK businesses

Even more great news for BrExit!

The World Trade Organisation (WTO) has approved future membership terms for the United Kingdom’s accession to the Government Procurement Agreement in its own right. This step is in preparation for the eventual UK departure from the European Union.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/w...sh-contractors

"The WTO has today confirmed that British businesses will be able to continue bidding for public sector contracts around the world after the UK leaves the EU.

"British businesses will be able to continue bidding for public sector contracts around the world worth more than £1.3 trillion a year after we leave the European Union."

"This is a significant step in the UK establishing its independent trade policy for the first time in more than 40 years. The UK has already submitted its own tariff schedules to the WTO and will take up its independent seat in Geneva after exit day.

The UK will join the GPA as an independent member as soon as possible if we leave the EU without an agreement, or will remain a member under EU schedules if we have an Implementation Period."

Project Fear has had its time and shown us that it is nothing but lame propaganda and lies. It's time to stop letting these anti-democratic idiots scare people with false fear-mongering and to realise that BrExit will be the best thing Britain has done for years.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Cool. That surely means that foreign companies will be permitted to bid for UK public service contracts. Now that is what Brexiteers wanted wasn't it?

Project fear = project reality.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Cool. That surely means that foreign companies will be permitted to bid for UK public service contracts. Now that is what Brexiteers wanted wasn't it?

Project fear = project reality.
Foreign (eu) firms already do.
Violet Femme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Fantastic news.

I'm sure British firms like Seaborne Freight will benefit immensely from this.
Moments
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
We already do build public infrastructure in other countries, so i'm assuming we have access to these contracts currently as an EU member? Isn't it merely keeping a benefit we already enjoy?

I know in the construction industry bidding =/= winning, so it remains to be seen whether we'll win a higher proportion of these contracts than we already do.
winterscoming
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The UK will be able to continue to do be able to do something that it is currently already able to do as a full member of the EU. "Nothing changing" is hardly an interesting matter for discussion.

In other news, the sun will continue to rise every day.

What's more interesting to discuss is fact that a lot of barriers will be going up between the UK and dozens of its other trading partners, including over 50 non-EU countries which it currently has trade agreements with as EU members (Including Japan, Canada, Switzerland, Norway, Mexico, South Africa, and many others) which will no longer apply to the UK after it leaves. And then of course the EU27 itself.
Last edited by winterscoming; 2 weeks ago
winterscoming
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Moments)
We already do build public infrastructure in other countries, so i'm assuming we have access to these contracts currently as an EU member? Isn't it merely keeping a benefit we already enjoy?
Yes, the wording in the original post is "will be able to continue". There's nothing at all significant here.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Foreign (eu) firms already do.
I know. So what we are basically saying is that we keep the status quo. Which begs the question as to why are we bothering.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
WTO agreement means £1.3 trillion market for UK businesses

Even more great news for BrExit!

The World Trade Organisation (WTO) has approved future membership terms for the United Kingdom’s accession to the Government Procurement Agreement in its own right. This step is in preparation for the eventual UK departure from the European Union.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/w...sh-contractors

"The WTO has today confirmed that British businesses will be able to continue bidding for public sector contracts around the world after the UK leaves the EU.

"British businesses will be able to continue bidding for public sector contracts around the world worth more than £1.3 trillion a year after we leave the European Union."

"This is a significant step in the UK establishing its independent trade policy for the first time in more than 40 years. The UK has already submitted its own tariff schedules to the WTO and will take up its independent seat in Geneva after exit day.

The UK will join the GPA as an independent member as soon as possible if we leave the EU without an agreement, or will remain a member under EU schedules if we have an Implementation Period."

Project Fear has had its time and shown us that it is nothing but lame propaganda and lies. It's time to stop letting these anti-democratic idiots scare people with false fear-mongering and to realise that BrExit will be the best thing Britain has done for years.
Why do you want to be in this cartel?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.69%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.3%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.47%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.91%
How can I be the best version of myself? (191)
30.03%

Watched Threads