crusting on water pump advice Watch

OutKast
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Just had my MOT and they've noted some coolant crusting on water pump- told me to keep an eye on it for now and see how it goes. I tried looking after and couldn't see any crusting (guess they must have cleaned it up?)

Is it worth biting the bullet and getting the pump replaced now and avoid any risks of it failing or do you reckon I should just see how it goes?

*Quoted at £300 odd for pump and fitting :O guess I better get saving*
Last edited by OutKast; 2 weeks ago
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd follow their advice, check the coolant levels regularly and carry probably 5L of water in the boot for topping up.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by OutKast)
Just had my MOT and they've noted some coolant crusting on water pump- told me to keep an eye on it for now and see how it goes. I tried looking after and couldn't see any crusting (guess they must have cleaned it up?)

Is it worth biting the bullet and getting the pump replaced now and avoid any risks of it failing or do you reckon I should just see how it goes?

*Quoted at £300 odd for pump and fitting :O guess I better get saving*
Begs the question.. when was your timing belt last replaced?
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Water pump's lifespan is usually double than that of timing belt.
If the pump is giving up it is likely the timing belt can go off at any moment and you'll end up with blown engine. Costs of repairing an engine after such failure can be much bigger than replacing entire motor for another one.
OutKast
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
Begs the question.. when was your timing belt last replaced?
Not at all as far as I know- it’s a 15 plate AYGO with only 20,000 miles .
OutKast
Rep:
?
(Original post by PTMalewski)
Water pump's lifespan is usually double than that of timing belt.
If the pump is giving up it is likely the timing belt can go off at any moment and you'll end up with blown engine. Costs of repairing an engine after such failure can be much bigger than replacing entire motor for another one.
It’s a 4 year old car with 20,000 miles- am I being super naive to think that a timing belt should be working for much longer than this?
OutKast
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
I'd follow their advice, check the coolant levels regularly and carry probably 5L of water in the boot for topping up.
I’ll be sure do that!
appletango24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Could be the water pump gasket causing it to leak, especially if it was done up too tight causing the gasket to not form a proper seal. Had this happen to me a few months ago, white crusty stuff forming around and under the water pump. Managed to fix the problem with a £4 replacement rubber gasket and an afternoons work. My car was a lot older and has many more miles.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not at all as far as I know- it’s a 15 plate AYGO with only 20,000 miles .
Ah, it's chain driven, not belt.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s a 4 year old car with 20,000 miles- am I being super naive to think that a timing belt should be working for much longer than this?
Hmm, should last more than twice more.
However I'm surprised there is any leaking issue at that age or mileage.

Then I advice just to monitor the coolant level. If it doesn't lower in a month or two, then just ignore that incompetent MOT guy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads