Education Tripos at Cambridge - Undergraduate - Advice : ) Watch

bemily17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi!! Has anyone here applied for the Education Tripos at Cambridge - especially the Education with Psychology Track and could lend any advice? GCSE grades, A-level choices and grades, what work experience you did, application etc ?? Thanks so much !
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I believe 04MR17 applied to Cambridge Education, although I don't know what college or track. He might be able to off some advice though

My understanding is, as with other courses at Cambridge, the Education course focuses much more on the academic stuff and less on e.g. teacher training preparation and consequently I'm not sure if work experience is that important. They apparently will no longer require school experience for applicants to their PGCE courses which are teacher training courses, and I can't find any reference to work experience on the education faculty site for the BA, so...
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 months ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by bemily17)
Hi!! Has anyone here applied for the Education Tripos at Cambridge - especially the Education with Psychology Track and could lend any advice? GCSE grades, A-level choices and grades, what work experience you did, application etc ?? Thanks so much !
Didn't do Psychology track, I opted for the international/policy one I think.

Magdalene College gave me an offer for 2017 entry.

A Levels: English Lit, History, Maths, AS Further Maths, EPQ, (already had C grade in AS General Studies :rofl: )
GCSEs: A*A*A* (Eng, Maths, Span.) AAAAA (Geo, Hist, Bio, Chem, Phys) BB (Eng Lit (yr10), Drama)
Work Experience: Jobs working with local authorities looking at young people and policy. 0 classroom work experience.

Happy to answer any questions you may have, thanks for the tag artful_lounger.
Last edited by 04MR17; 3 months ago
bemily17
Rep:
?
Thanks so much for replying - hugely appreciated!

I have a few questions, if you don't mind answering...
1. Are you studying the course now? If so what do you think of it?
2. Do you have any advice for what to include in your personal statement?
3. Do you think that these a-level choices are suitable - for the education with psychology track? Maths, Sociology, Psychology, EPQ
4. What A-level grades did you get?
5. What other uni courses did you apply for?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Didn't do Psychology track, I opted for the international/policy one I think.

Magdalene College gave me an offer for 2017 entry.

A Levels: English Lit, History, Maths, AS Further Maths, EPQ, (already had C grade in AS General Studies :rofl: )
GCSEs: A*A*A* (Eng, Maths, Span.) AAAAA (Geo, Hist, Bio, Chem, Phys) BB (Eng Lit (yr10), Drama)
Work Experience: Jobs working with local authorities looking at young people and policy. 0 classroom work experience.

Happy to answer any questions you may have, thanks for the tag artful_lounger.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks so much for replying - hugely appreciated!

I have a few questions, if you don't mind answering...
1. Are you studying the course now? If so what do you think of it?
2. Do you have any advice for what to include in your personal statement?
3. Do you think that these a-level choices are suitable - for the education with psychology track? Maths, Sociology, Psychology, EPQ
4. What A-level grades did you get?
5. What other uni courses did you apply for?
I am doing Education Studies at the moment, but not at Cambridge.

My advice would be to look at the modules on the course website, read up on those topics, decide which you are most interested in. Then your personal statement becomes "I am particularly interested in [this policy area] where the issue of [this] is crucial to both the development of individual children and the growth of society."

3. I think that those subjects are perfect. Sociology gives you an excellent perspective on policy, psychology fits of course, Maths A Level will come in handy when dealing with statistics during data collection and research. What are you thinking about for EPQ? We have an Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) forum if you want to ask more specific questions to do with that.

4. ABC (BCA*) (as and epq in brackets)

5.Education and History - Keele
Education and History - Birmingham
Education (History) - Durham
BA Combined Honours - Newcastle
bemily17
Rep:
?
So I'm doing my EPQ on the relevance of the United Nations today - it has nothing to do with Education with Psychology. Should I maybe change my topic? I just chose it because it is something that I am interested in.

Thanks so much for all your help!!!

(Original post by 04MR17)
I am doing Education Studies at the moment, but not at Cambridge.

My advice would be to look at the modules on the course website, read up on those topics, decide which you are most interested in. Then your personal statement becomes "I am particularly interested in [this policy area] where the issue of [this] is crucial to both the development of individual children and the growth of society."

3. I think that those subjects are perfect. Sociology gives you an excellent perspective on policy, psychology fits of course, Maths A Level will come in handy when dealing with statistics during data collection and research. What are you thinking about for EPQ? We have an Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) forum if you want to ask more specific questions to do with that.

4. ABC (BCA*) (as and epq in brackets)

5.Education and History - Keele
Education and History - Birmingham
Education (History) - Durham
BA Combined Honours - Newcastle
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
So I'm doing my EPQ on the relevance of the United Nations today - it has nothing to do with Education with Psychology. Should I maybe change my topic? I just chose it because it is something that I am interested in.

Thanks so much for all your help!!!
That's quite a broad topic but you're wrong to dismiss it - the UN does a lot on Education.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (256)
32.24%
The paper was reasonable (388)
48.87%
Not feeling great about that exam... (89)
11.21%
It was TERRIBLE (61)
7.68%

Watched Threads