Do universities look at your GCSE grades?

Watch
bella.ii
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I know GCSE's are important but do universities even look at your GCSE grades or do they only care about A-levels?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bella.ii)
I know GCSE's are important but do universities even look at your GCSE grades or do they only care about A-levels?
Yes they certainly look. As to their importance that will depend on the course and the university.

I know this is a bit early, but what sort of university courses are you thinking about?
bella.ii
Rep:
?
I know it sounds ambitious but either maths or economics at oxbridge?

(Original post by Doonesbury)
Yes they certainly look. As to their importance that will depend on the course and the university.

I know this is a bit early, but what sort of university courses are you thinking about?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know it sounds ambitious but either maths or economics at oxbridge?
Well for Maths at Cambridge or Oxford your maths is by far the most important thing. For Oxford the MAT is more important than GCSEs, and for Cambridge there's no GCSE requirements and STEP plays a big part of the process.

Also, I noticed your other thread asking about doing 5 A-levels... what are your predicted GCSE grades? Having 3 (or at most 4) good A-levels are much more important that attempting 5...
bella.ii
Rep:
?
My predicted grades are all 7s or higher except English which is a 6. I was asking about 5 A levels because the sixth form I want to go to makes you take 5 A levels if you want to do further maths because they require all students to do 4 A levels anyway but count maths and further maths as one option
Well for Maths at Cambridge or Oxford your maths is by far the most important thing. For Oxford the MAT is more important than GCSEs, and for Cambridge there's no GCSE requirements and STEP plays a big part of the process.

Also, I noticed your other thread asking about doing 5 A-levels... what are your predicted GCSE grades? Having 3 (or at most 4) good A-levels are much more important that attempting 5...
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the sixth form I want to go to makes you take 5 A levels if you want to do further maths because they require all students to do 4 A levels anyway but count maths and further maths as one option
That's sounds daft. Are you sure you have got that right? Usually the only time you would consider doing 4 is if you are doing Maths & FM. But that doesn't mean you have to do 5.
bella.ii
Rep:
?
Yeah I'm sure as I've already had an interview with them and asked about it. But I would be able to drop 1 subject at the end of year 12 and just do it as an As, which I would probably do

That's sounds daft. Are you sure you have got that right? Usually the only time you would consider doing 4 is if you are doing Maths & FM. But that doesn't mean you have to do 5.
LoyaltyAb0veAll
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A level's play a bigger role of course since they are more difficult.
I believe Universities have a glance over your GCSEs and use that as a piece of information on whether an individual should be offered an unconditional offer along with other factors
Spoiler:
Show
I have seen many stories of people with dreadful GCSE's that manage to secure exceptional university offers too.
x.emilye
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I'm sure as I've already had an interview with them and asked about it. But I would be able to drop 1 subject at the end of year 12 and just do it as an As, which I would probably do
Exactly the same as my school - everyone starts with 4 and drops one or start with 5 (you can only do 5 if one of them is further maths) and drop 1. A Levels are more important but having good GCSEs mprove your chances of getting into top unis. Do your best & good luck
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by x.emilye)
Exactly the same as my school - everyone starts with 4 and drops one or start with 5 (you can only do 5 if one of them is further maths) and drop 1. A Levels are more important but having good GCSEs mprove your chances of getting into top unis. Do your best & good luck
Does your school allow you to include an EPQ in your 4? That would be a more useful qualification than a spare subject.
x.emilye
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does your school allow you to include an EPQ in your 4? That would be a more useful qualification than a spare subject.
No - EPQ is an extra thing done in year 13 if you choose to do it
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by x.emilye)
No - EPQ is an extra thing done in year 13 if you choose to do it
As I said earlier, daft. Especially when the Y13 workload is higher than it used to be because you have Y13 *and* Y12 to revise.

No university requires 4 A-levels, nevermind 5.
Last edited by Doones; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.57%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (843)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads