The Student Room Group

Convincing Mum to let me go to a far away Uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xanimede
Just do it, if you're not counting on her for financial support, then simply be firm and tell her you're going to do it, regardless of her opinion.

Most kids/teenagers in 1st world countries don't realise that their parents don't have much authority over them.

Lol I know this much but I don't want to be a d*ckhead about it because I still love my Mum. She'll be fuming if I'm too firm about it.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Lol I know this much but I don't want to be a d*ckhead about it because I still love my Mum. She'll be fuming if I'm too firm about it.

I don't know her, I would say you have to be firm but keep reassuring her, telling her she won't be alone and you'll always be on her side.

But if she's a paranoid manipulative person, reassuring her will change nothing, in that case, you simply have to be firm and ignore any pleas.
She is probably just worried for your safety, It was probably hard for the first time you went to nursery, the first time she left you with a childminder, ext, now you are older she knows the dangers you could get into are even more, also she might be thinking if you are ready, independent enough to live by yourself without getting into arrears, addiction, pregnancy(fatherhood as well as motherhood) Prove to her that you are mature and responsible enough and that you are not going to abandon her once you leave.
Title.

Need good excuses to reason my Mum since she's pretty paranoid about me leaving the 'bird's nest' and leaving her with my Dad and other siblings who don't listen to her as much as I do...

She wants me to go Brunel or Royal Holloway and other (imo sh*tty) universities nearby/in London that don't provide the same opportunities as the university I got in mind (Kent). She even wants me to consider apprenticeships instead of university, so yh she's desperate.

Just so we're clear I'm quite serious about living out and away from family so any help is appreciated.

TL;DR - Excuses for going to a far away Uni compared to staying and going to the local ones.
Reply 23

if you don't want to go to London where do u want to go???

Quick Reply