Frododontgo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I need to choose my a levels soon, but I’m hesitant on whether i should pick Physics as a subject. I don’t currently like the subject very much now, but I think this is due to my teacher, as it was my favourite science last year.

I would rather choose history, but it is quite a useless topic as I’m thinking I either want to be a doctor or an astrophysicist, and I know Physics is needed for this.

If anyone is doing physics at a level, could you tell me your experience of the subject, and if you enjoyed it, as I think it would help me choose the right subject for me.
liamlarner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Frododontgo)
I need to choose my a levels soon, but I’m hesitant on whether i should pick Physics as a subject. I don’t currently like the subject very much now, but I think this is due to my teacher, as it was my favourite science last year.

I would rather choose history, but it is quite a useless topic as I’m thinking I either want to be a doctor or an astrophysicist, and I know Physics is needed for this.

If anyone is doing physics at a level, could you tell me your experience of the subject, and if you enjoyed it, as I think it would help me choose the right subject for me.
Physics A Level is bloody hard its a lot easier when it's taken with maths my school makes you if you choose physics study maths a level along side it i would say if it's just your teacher and you think you will work hard at it for a level pick it
susu6679
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
maybe take physics, maths, chemistry and biology or physics, maths and further maths
Last edited by susu6679; 6 months ago
Frododontgo
Rep:
?
(Original post by liamlarner)
Physics A Level is bloody hard its a lot easier when it's taken with maths my school makes you if you choose physics study maths a level along side it i would say if it's just your teacher and you think you will work hard at it for a level pick it
Thank you, I am planning on doing maths as well as Further Maths next year. I will definitely consider this.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Select the A-levels that are required for what you want to do for uni or your career. Physics for A-Level is a huge step up form GCSE, it was probably my hardest A-level. You mention that you like the subject due to your teacher, but what happens if you get a different teacher for A-Level? If you are not interested in the subject itself, what makes you interested in a career as an astrophysicist?

If you are looking to go into medicine, you may wish to select A-levels required for a medicine degree, i.e. Maths, Chemistry, Biology or Physics.

What made you consider History as an A-Level?
Frododontgo
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
Select the A-levels that are required for what you want to do for uni or your career. Physics for A-Level is a huge step up form GCSE, it was probably my hardest A-level. You mention that you like the subject due to your teacher, but what happens if you get a different teacher for A-Level? If you are not interested in the subject itself, what makes you interested in a career as an astrophysicist?

If you are looking to go into medicine, you may wish to select A-levels required for a medicine degree, i.e. Maths, Chemistry, Biology or Physics.

What made you consider History as an A-Level?
I currently dislike physics because of my teacher. Last year when I didn’t have her, I actually loved it.

The only reason I want to take history as an A-level is because it is my favourite subject, but I would never consider getting a degree in it.
Pastelx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey there! I started Year 12 with Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry (dropped Chemistry at the start of Y13), and I’ve currently got offers to study Maths at uni.

I definitely encourage studying Maths and FM alongside Physics- if nothing else, it makes mechanics quite a bit easier in both since there is a large overlap there.

Personally (as an aspiring maths student!), Physics is my toughest A Level right now, but it doesn’t feel that different to GCSE. You do learn a lot more Physics, such as particle and quantum, but it’s the same idea of writing what’s required on mark schemes, with a bit more maths and problem solving. I don’t really like either of my Physics teachers but they get the job done and it’s no worse than I found Chemistry!
Dulciebr
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

I don't take physics but I seriously regret not doing so - I'm in lower sixth and most of my friends who take physics say they enjoy it. If you're interested in medicine or astrophysics, make sure that you take at least two science A levels, possibly even 3 if you want to keep your options open and stand out on application forms. Hope this helps
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I currently dislike physics because of my teacher. Last year when I didn’t have her, I actually loved it.

The only reason I want to take history as an A-level is because it is my favourite subject, but I would never consider getting a degree in it.
I think I misread your opening post a little! If medicine or astrophysicist are the two career paths you are currently interested in, as I mentioned, taking maths, biology, chemistry, physics is probably the way to go. You do mention that you have an interest in history but don't necessarily need it as an A-Level. Perhaps it is something you can read around in your free time as a hobby?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (35)
7.26%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (285)
59.13%
No (162)
33.61%

Watched Threads