Jademorgan1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I’m hoping to study at Hull in sept and was wondering if anyone have any experience in living at the Kexgill partnership student houses in Hull?
Was wondering how they compare with halls?
What the rooms are like ? And the area?
Many thanks,
Jade.
TSR_Ollie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
Neilos
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I can't help much as I'm local and have never been inside any of the houses, but I know that very few first-years seem to stay in partnership housing. Don't think anyone on my course does, they're all either local or in the halls.

(I replied before and suggested finding a specific Hull student group and asking there, but it got deleted because links to other social networks aren't allowed.)
Jademorgan1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Thankyouu
(Original post by Neilos)
I can't help much as I'm local and have never been inside any of the houses, but I know that very few first-years seem to stay in partnership housing. Don't think anyone on my course does, they're all either local or in the halls.

(I replied before and suggested finding a specific Hull student group and asking there, but it got deleted because links to other social networks aren't allowed.)
ShutUpImEvil
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi, I've lived in a Kexgill house for 2 years now. Their accomodation is really nice, on level with the rooms at The Courtyard but half the price 🤣. Any problems I've had have been fixed by the maintenance team within 2 days.
Rosieac194
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hiya,Im going to be living in the student houses in september, do you know if the room numbers are in the same place in each house? Like room 1 and 2 downstairs in each house for example?ThanksRosie
ShutUpImEvil
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think so. In all the student houses I've been to its that way
Laura896
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I lived in a kexgill house in my first year (last year) and it was okay to be honest. The rooms were pretty good (in a non-refurbed property at first) and a decent size. We had a few issues with the company as they didn't respond to maintenance problems very quickly; our boiler didn't work properly and they kept turning the pressure up rather than fixing it properly - they fixed it just before we were moved to another property (4 weeks before the end of our tenancy). We were also moved into a refurbished property just before the exam period; we had no internet at all! They kept saying we weren't connecting to it properly when there wasn't actually a router in the house... once they realised it was their fault it took them 3 weeks to sort it, so everyone had to increase their data allowance on their phones to be able to revise (the library is always full so), they did reimburst us for the extra data though!

My rent was pretty cheap at £86 a week. I think it varies a little bit more now as most of the houses are refurbs. In the refurbed house it was LOVELY. The ensuites were stunning and it was so nice to have a double bed. I would 100% go with kexgill again (and nearly did when booking my third year accomodation). The rooms varied in size; (in the refurb) the smaller rooms were downstairs, but they were all decent sizes! Think they all have double beds. Most of the houses are ensuite and the bathrooms are lovely! The kitchens are pretty impressive as well. In the non-refurb bedrooms they have single beds, a sink and also vary in size. Our kitchen was okay... pretty standard and could have been a lot better but for £86 a week it was good. The living room was also joint with the kitchen and it was small. If you get the purple sofas you'll experience a true kexgill house XD (You'll know if you see one).

Coutryard is EXPENSIVE. A few of my friends either lived there last year and they live there now. They both have said that it is expensive and they are very strict on how the bathrooms are kept... they said to me if they had the option they wouldn't live in courtyard again as it was so annoying with the first alarm testing etc. It is on campus which is a good thing and there is someone always on the front desk to help if needed.

The kexgill houses are a 5 - 10 min walk from university, the area is okay.. a few problems but you'll have that no matter where you live; as long as you lock the house up properly you should have no problem. It is more homely in a kexgill house for sure.

Personally I would go for a kexgill house as you have more independence and aren't bothered a lot by the landlord compared to the courtyard/westfield court. It is cheaper and you get more for your money. They are pretty secure and not far from the uni.

Pros for Courtyard - on campus, good security
Cons - EXPENSIVE, hardly any independence as they are constantly checking in, not a lot for your money.

Pros for kexgill - close to uni, cheap, good standard, more homely
cons - sometimes don't respond quickly for repairs, less security (but if you're not an idiot by leaving the door/windows open when you're not in you'll be fine).

If you want any more info just message me
Rosieac194
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Ahh thats great thanks so much for that Laura! Ive been offered an extra large room but they weren’t able to offer an ensuite which I’m quite disappointed about but I’m hoping the bathroom sharing situation is alright. My room number is 3, do you know if these room numbers are usually upstairs?

Thanks again

Rosie
(Original post by Laura896)
I lived in a kexgill house in my first year (last year) and it was okay to be honest. The rooms were pretty good (in a non-refurbed property at first) and a decent size. We had a few issues with the company as they didn't respond to maintenance problems very quickly; our boiler didn't work properly and they kept turning the pressure up rather than fixing it properly - they fixed it just before we were moved to another property (4 weeks before the end of our tenancy). We were also moved into a refurbished property just before the exam period; we had no internet at all! They kept saying we weren't connecting to it properly when there wasn't actually a router in the house... once they realised it was their fault it took them 3 weeks to sort it, so everyone had to increase their data allowance on their phones to be able to revise (the library is always full so), they did reimburst us for the extra data though!

My rent was pretty cheap at £86 a week. I think it varies a little bit more now as most of the houses are refurbs. In the refurbed house it was LOVELY. The ensuites were stunning and it was so nice to have a double bed. I would 100% go with kexgill again (and nearly did when booking my third year accomodation). The rooms varied in size; (in the refurb) the smaller rooms were downstairs, but they were all decent sizes! Think they all have double beds. Most of the houses are ensuite and the bathrooms are lovely! The kitchens are pretty impressive as well. In the non-refurb bedrooms they have single beds, a sink and also vary in size. Our kitchen was okay... pretty standard and could have been a lot better but for £86 a week it was good. The living room was also joint with the kitchen and it was small. If you get the purple sofas you'll experience a true kexgill house XD (You'll know if you see one).

Coutryard is EXPENSIVE. A few of my friends either lived there last year and they live there now. They both have said that it is expensive and they are very strict on how the bathrooms are kept... they said to me if they had the option they wouldn't live in courtyard again as it was so annoying with the first alarm testing etc. It is on campus which is a good thing and there is someone always on the front desk to help if needed.

The kexgill houses are a 5 - 10 min walk from university, the area is okay.. a few problems but you'll have that no matter where you live; as long as you lock the house up properly you should have no problem. It is more homely in a kexgill house for sure.

Personally I would go for a kexgill house as you have more independence and aren't bothered a lot by the landlord compared to the courtyard/westfield court. It is cheaper and you get more for your money. They are pretty secure and not far from the uni.

Pros for Courtyard - on campus, good security
Cons - EXPENSIVE, hardly any independence as they are constantly checking in, not a lot for your money.

Pros for kexgill - close to uni, cheap, good standard, more homely
cons - sometimes don't respond quickly for repairs, less security (but if you're not an idiot by leaving the door/windows open when you're not in you'll be fine).

If you want any more info just message me
Laura896
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey,

I think you'll be upstairs! By the sounds of it you'll be in a similar house I was in for first year, the room 3 in my old house was absolutely massive and at the front of the property (and had a 3/4 bed in it). The shared bathroom wasn't too bad either to be honest! If you're on Auckland Ave. it's pretty nice and same with Cranbrook!
(Original post by Rosieac194)
Ahh thats great thanks so much for that Laura! Ive been offered an extra large room but they weren’t able to offer an ensuite which I’m quite disappointed about but I’m hoping the bathroom sharing situation is alright. My room number is 3, do you know if these room numbers are usually upstairs?

Thanks again

Rosie
Rosieac194
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Oh fab yeah it’s on Auckland Avenue, they said there was parking behind the back as well i think. Is the train station fairly easy to get to from there or is it a bit of a trek do you know? Sorry for the 100 questions 🤣

Rosie
(Original post by Laura896)
Hey,

I think you'll be upstairs! By the sounds of it you'll be in a similar house I was in for first year, the room 3 in my old house was absolutely massive and at the front of the property (and had a 3/4 bed in it). The shared bathroom wasn't too bad either to be honest! If you're on Auckland Ave. it's pretty nice and same with Cranbrook!
Laura896
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
That’s good then! It is a good area! Yeah there’s parking behind, depending where abouts on Auckland you are there will be room for at least 2 cars, be aware that people park on driveways and block you in round Auckland/cranbrook a lot and make sure there are no valuables visible at all just in case. If I walk to the train station it takes me about 45-50 mins depending if I’m walking fast or not but there is a direct bus which takes about 20 mins which runs a lot! Bus number 103/105. There’s a little tesco a few mins away and a big lidl 5 mins away as well Everything is pretty close by.
ShutUpImEvil
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Bus to the station/st stephens is every 15mins and it takes about 20mins to get there
Jademorgan1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Thank you for all your replies it’s been a big help
Rosieac194
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hiya

Im going to be on Auckland too, which number are you?
(Original post by MrNobody123)
Hey, I'm living in a Kexgill house down Auckland next year, do you know which number you're in yet?
Jademorgan1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
No I haven’t decided where I’m staying just yet
ShutUpImEvil
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you're interested, I have a room in Taylor Court that I no longer want
MrNobody123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Ahhh OK, well if you have any more questions about the Kexgill houses (or accommodation in general) just me know. Seems like you've had some really good replies so far though

(Original post by Jademorgan1)
No I haven’t decided where I’m staying just yet
MrNobody123
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey,

I'll be in 35, what about you?
(Original post by Rosieac194)
Hiya

Im going to be on Auckland too, which number are you?
paddymac64
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'll be in 49 Auckland, room 5, anyone know what room 5 would be like? Is there an attic room?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (425)
67.57%
No (204)
32.43%

Watched Threads