The Student Room Group

Partial pressures chemistry help

I am slightly confused as to how you work out the partial pressures of gases given the reation. If you had x + y going to 2a + z as a reaction, if you knew the partial pressure on say a, can you then just work out the partial pressures of everything else, e.g. if pp of a is 4, does the pp of x equal 2 ?
Original post by Bertybassett
I am slightly confused as to how you work out the partial pressures of gases given the reation. If you had x + y going to 2a + z as a reaction, if you knew the partial pressure on say a, can you then just work out the partial pressures of everything else, e.g. if pp of a is 4, does the pp of x equal 2 ?

I think you need a more specific example ...
I don't think you can calculate it that way. It depends on the question but I think you would have to put the reactants and products into the kP equation and rearrange it to calculate the partial pressure you nee (remember to only put gaseous reactants and products in the equation.

Reply 3

If you started with only x and y and at the end of the reaction (or when a equilibrium were reached), if it were a closed system, if the a produced caused a pp of 4, then the pp of z would have to be 2.

Quick Reply

Latest