Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I was wondering what the best accommodation at Sussex uni is and why
Thanks
username4520852
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They're all fairly similar, only one that needs to be avoided is Park Village. I would say Lewes Court and Brighthelm are the best, can't comment on the new east slope because I've not seen it. Brighthelm has its own washing machines so they don't need to pay to use the laundrette. Northfield is a bit of a trek to get anywhere but that's less of an issue now as they have their own bar. Norwich House rooms and the corner rooms in Lewes Court are bigger than the other rooms on campus. I wouldn't base your choice on ensuite/non-ensuite because most incoming students want ensuite and then later say they would rather have had the extra cash by sharing a bathroom.
Mazza-G
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sk2111)
Hi, I was wondering what the best accommodation at Sussex uni is and why
Thanks
Hi Sk2111!

I am and have been living in Stanmer Court for almost 3 years now and in my opinion it's the best. From my other thread reply, I have pasted other 2 accommodations, but first paragraph is about Stanmer.

Stanmer remains my favourite all these years because you have the train station and bus stop at your doorstep. We are secluded from the rest of the campus, but everything is still quite close - Falmer House is the first thing you'll come across when you head towards campus and that's where the Student Union is, Falmer Bar, Room 76 and other bits and bobs including the Student Union shop which has some food and merchandise. Library is close, it takes me about 4-5 minutes to get to. The blocks have been refurbished over these last 3 years and you have en-suite in each room. We have 24h porters' reception which you can call/come down to in case of any issues. There is also a laundrette, but I don't use it, so I don't know how much it is. You have to download an app. Flat rooms range from 4-6, kitchens are quite large (not for parties though! Read the Tenancy Agreement when you get your offer), so overall it remains my best. It does have a good mix of students normally. I'm a residential advisor (hence I get to live there for 2 years after first year), so I visit a lot of flats and it's usually quite a good mix of students, vast majority of which is usually British.

Swanborough, although I've never been inside, is directly in the middle of campus. You've got Co-op across the road, library is quite close so it's all clustered around. The thing I don't particularly like about it though is that when I have my French class in Fulton which is just in front of it, you can see all the Swanborough windows. Although half of each window is tinted with different colour, personally I wouldn't have enjoyed the idea of everyone being able to see my room. However, it might be one of the few residences that has washing machines (don't quote me on it), so you might save up on laundry.

Lewes Court phase 2 (if that's en-suite, I imagine it would be much easier) is quite further away, around Northfield area at the north half of the campus. I've been to the non en-suite Lewes Court and it's alright, the kitchen is a bit longer, but I don't like that it's further away from everything else.

Hope that helps!
sk2111
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you so much, this has been extremely helpful!!
(Original post by Maria_G)
Hi Sk2111!

I am and have been living in Stanmer Court for almost 3 years now and in my opinion it's the best. From my other thread reply, I have pasted other 2 accommodations, but first paragraph is about Stanmer.

Stanmer remains my favourite all these years because you have the train station and bus stop at your doorstep. We are secluded from the rest of the campus, but everything is still quite close - Falmer House is the first thing you'll come across when you head towards campus and that's where the Student Union is, Falmer Bar, Room 76 and other bits and bobs including the Student Union shop which has some food and merchandise. Library is close, it takes me about 4-5 minutes to get to. The blocks have been refurbished over these last 3 years and you have en-suite in each room. We have 24h porters' reception which you can call/come down to in case of any issues. There is also a laundrette, but I don't use it, so I don't know how much it is. You have to download an app. Flat rooms range from 4-6, kitchens are quite large (not for parties though! Read the Tenancy Agreement when you get your offer), so overall it remains my best. It does have a good mix of students normally. I'm a residential advisor (hence I get to live there for 2 years after first year), so I visit a lot of flats and it's usually quite a good mix of students, vast majority of which is usually British.

Swanborough, although I've never been inside, is directly in the middle of campus. You've got Co-op across the road, library is quite close so it's all clustered around. The thing I don't particularly like about it though is that when I have my French class in Fulton which is just in front of it, you can see all the Swanborough windows. Although half of each window is tinted with different colour, personally I wouldn't have enjoyed the idea of everyone being able to see my room. However, it might be one of the few residences that has washing machines (don't quote me on it), so you might save up on laundry.

Lewes Court phase 2 (if that's en-suite, I imagine it would be much easier) is quite further away, around Northfield area at the north half of the campus. I've been to the non en-suite Lewes Court and it's alright, the kitchen is a bit longer, but I don't like that it's further away from everything else.

Hope that helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (24)
16.78%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (48)
33.57%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.79%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (14)
9.79%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.9%
I think it's an unfair expectation (33)
23.08%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2.1%

Watched Threads