Tom___________
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I have my medical for the Royal Air Force coming up to be a medic. I currently have fixed braces and I’ve had them about 9 months. It’s also planned that I’ll have lower jaw surgery in June of this year. I was looking to begin training around September time giving me long enough to finish my studies and recover from my surgery. I’m wondering are fixed braces incompatible with joining the RAF?

Regards,
Tom
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tom___________)
You probably need to ask the AFCO. I seem to recall that they are, and there may also be a longer block on joining after an operation - a year rings a bell. You need to get the facts, and the latest medical facts come from the AFCO.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tom___________)
Hi,

I have my medical for the Royal Air Force coming up to be a medic. I currently have fixed braces and I’ve had them about 9 months. It’s also planned that I’ll have lower jaw surgery in June of this year. I was looking to begin training around September time giving me long enough to finish my studies and recover from my surgery. I’m wondering are fixed braces incompatible with joining the RAF?

Regards,
Tom
Hi Tom

It will depend on what's required from you to go back for your braces and also what surgery you're having. You'll be asked about it during your medical, as you won't be able to get time off from phase one training for dental work etc.

There's a possibility that you may be found Temporarily Medically Unfit at your medical which will mean you'll need to either wait or re-apply once all of your dental treatment is completed. However, your medical will give you full details.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.47%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise