The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Help would be much appreciated.

Hello all!
I'm starting Glasgow in September to a joint honours in Law and French. I would still like to do French, but what are the chances of them letting me change my other subject (law) to something else?

In my head I can't see why not, since a lot of people will only have chosen only one of their 3 subjects for first year I'm maybe already one step ahead having chosen, and since I'm not changing my whole degree I might be able to change.

However unis never seen to be that simple. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are you wanting to change to? Single French? That shouldn't be a problem at all.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
IThanks for the reply. I'm not EXACTLY sure. I'd like to do something like English Literature but I'm not sure if you can combine that with french. Sociology, history and some others are also options.
Reply 3
You can definately combine the two, EngLit and French, it seems, it's just a case of seeing if they'll do it I suppose. What do you think?
Reply 4
All of those are compatible with French as far as I am aware. In your first year you can basically do whatever you want as long as there is no timetable clash. It might be helpful for you to look up the course catalogue on the website to see the class times and see if any of them clash.
Reply 5
Thanks that's a big help. Any idea how I would go about changing?
Reply 6
You should have an appointment with an advisor of studies in August (I think), that's when you pick your first year courses and ask any questions. If I remember rightly I got a letter from the uni about this. At your appointment just say that you are thinking of changing from joint to single honours and are thinking of not doing law anymore.
Reply 7
Thanks, that's a big help and a bit of a weight off my shoulders :smile:

I'll maybe phone the uni to check everything out, but you have eased my pain haha!

Oooh excited!
Reply 8
Yeah, phoning them would work too, if only to get everything cleared up properly for you. I can't really remember how everything got sorted. Was so long ago, well, not really, but it feels like it!
Reply 9
Did you have to change some stuff when you were starting?

I was through in Glasvegas and loved it last week so I am really keen to get everything sorted as you might be able to tell!
No, well, I had applied to do geography and chemistry. But I sat Advanced chemistry and realised I didn't like it enough to do at uni, the parts I liked I liked a lot, the others I couldn't care less about.

Now I'm just waiting on my exam results to see whether I not I get into Honours geography.
Aw cool... Sorry I'm really stupid. Does that mean you are at Glasgow now?
Yep, currently a second, soon to be third year. My best advice: don't take up the whole path at the change of lectures, don't make noise in the library, don't leave your stuff at a computer in the library and then bugger off for hours at a time, don't piss about on library computers when there are people needing them, and finally, don't take our seats in Jim's Bar in the QM.
TheOneWho
Yep, currently a second, soon to be third year. My best advice: don't take up the whole path at the change of lectures, don't make noise in the library, don't leave your stuff at a computer in the library and then bugger off for hours at a time, don't piss about on library computers when there are people needing them, and finally, don't take our seats in Jim's Bar in the QM.

You're clearly someone who spends too much time in the library :p:
SmilerNuts
You're clearly someone who spends too much time in the library :p:

Hehe, no I spend far, far, far too much time in Jim's. I just have issues with the library. Well, I love the library, not the people who use it.
TheOneWho
Hehe, no I spend far, far, far too much time in Jim's. I just have issues with the library. Well, I love the library, not the people who use it.

I'm gonna resist the urge to twist this into a joke involving Jim the elderly librarian and strange sex toys :p:
Oh dear. I should maybe put more effort into what I post and try and make it joke resistant.
Yeah, at least give me some sort of a challenge ;yes;
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear it shouldn't be much of a problem. Right after exams I am going to get in touch.
Anyone have an idea who the right/person/people to contact would be?
Reply 19
I wasn't under the impression that you study three subjects in first year with law.

Latest

Trending

Trending