auha54321
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Right so i'm currently in a bit of a dilemma. I'm wanting to apply for medicine but i'm not sure if i should. The problem is that my GCSE's are quite abysmal (for medicine) i got 8,7,6,6,6,6,5,5 and one A. If i get AAA (or above) in A-levels and a high Bmat or Ukat is there any point of applying ?
Dizgurl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by auha54321)
Right so i'm currently in a bit of a dilemma. I'm wanting to apply for medicine but i'm not sure if i should. The problem is that my GCSE's are quite abysmal (for medicine) i got 8,7,6,6,6,6,5,5 and one A. If i get AAA (or above) in A-levels and a high Bmat or Ukat is there any point of applying ?
It depends what your 5's are in! I think a lot of uni's need above a 6 for English and Maths so if you have those you should be good to go ( along with work experience ofcourse)
ax12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If medicine is what you want to do, check their entry requirements and see which ones you fill based on your GCSEs. Then of those look at how they score applicants and aim for those which you’re more likely to do well in and get through to interview.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
auha54321
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thank you for the response, so i got 6's in chem,bio,maths and english lang with an 8 in lit.
(Original post by Dizgurl)
It depends what your 5's are in! I think a lot of uni's need above a 6 for English and Maths so if you have those you should be good to go ( along with work experience ofcourse)
Dizgurl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thank you for the response, so i got 6's in chem,bio,maths and english lang with an 8 in lit.
I think that should be OK. As the other poster said do check the specific entry requirements of the universities as well, and I would personally avoid the universities that place a heavy emphasis on GCSE's (Oxford, Cardiff come to mind). However a good UKCAT and BMAT would keep you in a good position.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?