hi guys I'm really stuck on this question, someone please help me. Thank you

Watch
thilly27
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Evaluate the extent to which all coastlines can be protected using sustainable management approaches.

Hi guys I'm really stuck on this question , someone please help me. Thank you
Last edited by thilly27; 2 years ago
lyalucy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Okay, so I’m assuming this is to do with erosion? How many marks is the question worth? We haven’t studied this for a while, but as far as I can remember you’d be talking about things like groynes, sea walls, rock armour, dune regeneration, beach nourishment etc. To evaluate different methods, you’d have to outline a few different strategies and then compare them to each other, weighing advantages and disadvantages of things like cost and effectiveness, and then to conclude, say overall which methods you think are the best.

Hope this helps!

(Original post by thilly27)
Evaluate the extent to which all coastlines can be protected using sustainable management approaches.

Hi guys I'm really stuck on this question , someone please help me. Thank you
thilly27
Rep:
?
(Original post by htoombs47)
Okay, so I’m assuming this is to do with erosion? How many marks is the question worth? We haven’t studied this for a while, but as far as I can remember you’d be talking about things like groynes, sea walls, rock armour, dune regeneration, beach nourishment etc. To evaluate different methods, you’d have to outline a few different strategies and then compare them to each other, weighing advantages and disadvantages of things like cost and effectiveness, and then to conclude, say overall which methods you think are the best.

Hope this helps!
its a 20 mark question , thank you very much
fish finger fan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Think about different methods of coastal management, both hard engineering ( e.g groynes and sea walls), and soft engineering (e.g beach nourishment), are they sustainable approaches to protecting the coastline, how much do they cost, do they work well, do they harm the environment. Could they be used for all of the coastline, or will they be hard to put in place in some areas. The question says evaluate the extent, which tends to mean both sides of the argument.

Little bit of an example, sea walls are expensive to build, but do work very well in terms of lowering the effects of erosion. However, they are hard to install in some places.

Hope that this has been helpful.
potatohouse
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So this is how i would plan it:
1. Intro, define the key words (sustainability, sustainable management plans- hold the line, managed retreat, do nothibg) and talk breifly about why coastlines need to be protected (so erosion)
I would then do a paragraph on each of the sustainable managment plans
2. Could be on hold the line so talk about groynes and other defences. Talk about how soft engineering is generally more sustainable than hard engineering etc. Use Point, evidence, explain, link back (PEEL). Point could be a long the lines of how holding the line isn’t a very sustainable approach but soft engineering could make it more so. Evidence should be a case study (eg swanage hard hard engineering defences in place to hold the line) explain should be explaining how it’s Relevant. Then link should be summing up and answering the question in approx one sentence.
2. Do the same for managed retreat
3. Do the same for do nothing
4. Do the same for advance the line
5. Make a conclusion, concluded which is the most sustainable option etc.

Edit: sorry about the bad grammar and typos cant be bothered to change it
Last edited by potatohouse; 2 years ago
thilly27
Rep:
?
(Original post by potatohouse)
So this is how i would plan it:
1. Intro, define the key words (sustainability, sustainable management plans- hold the line, managed retreat, do nothibg) and talk breifly about why coastlines need to be protected (so erosion)
I would then do a paragraph on each of the sustainable managment plans
2. Could be on hold the line so talk about groynes and other defences. Talk about how soft engineering is generally more sustainable than hard engineering etc. Use Point, evidence, explain, link back (PEEL). Point could be a long the lines of how holding the line isn’t a very sustainable approach but soft engineering could make it more so. Evidence should be a case study (eg swanage hard hard engineering defences in place to hold the line) explain should be explaining how it’s Relevant. Then link should be summing up and answering the question in approx one sentence.
2. Do the same for managed retreat
3. Do the same for do nothing
4. Do the same for advance the line
5. Make a conclusion, concluded which is the most sustainable option etc.

Edit: sorry about the bad grammar and typos cant be bothered to change it
Thank you very much , really helpful.
thilly27
Rep:
?
Thank you
(Original post by fish finger fan)
Think about different methods of coastal management, both hard engineering ( e.g groynes and sea walls), and soft engineering (e.g beach nourishment), are they sustainable approaches to protecting the coastline, how much do they cost, do they work well, do they harm the environment. Could they be used for all of the coastline, or will they be hard to put in place in some areas. The question says evaluate the extent, which tends to mean both sides of the argument.

Little bit of an example, sea walls are expensive to build, but do work very well in terms of lowering the effects of erosion. However, they are hard to install in some places.

Hope that this has been helpful.
lyalucy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
its a 20 mark question , thank you very much
Ooh damn, that’s tough! How did it go?
thilly27
Rep:
?
Ooh damn, that’s tough! How did it go?
haven't done it yet
lyalucy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh, okay, let me know!
haven't done it yet
thilly27
Rep:
?
sure
Oh, okay, let me know!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (267)
57.54%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (63)
13.58%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.34%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (41)
8.84%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.39%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.31%

Watched Threads