You think I qualify for NHS jaw surgery or something? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have an issue with my jaw in regards to the way in which it is positioned in my head; essentially, my jaw is in a very tilted/sloped position, and that has caused other problems. I know that my jaw is tilted because of how it affects my chin and also because my bottom set of teeth are in a very sloped position.

I cannot get my teeth to meet up correctly, and the only teeth that seem to meet are the back teeth on the left side of my bite. When I chew, a sharp pain is generated around my jawline as well. Also, movement of my jaw is awkward as well; the jaw deviates to the left upon opening and closing, and opening it to a wide extent results in the muscles in my head become stiff and tight, and the generation of a sharp pain around my chewing, cheek, jaw joint and neck muscles.

If I open my jaw to a wide extent, such as when I yawn which I tend to do frequently, then it gets stuck; as I manage to get it unstuck and attempt to close it, I hear and feel bone sliding across one another in my head. Also, when I succeed in closing my jaw, it ends up in an even more tilted position than before, which results in me having to use my hand to apply pressure to my right jawline in an attempt to reposition it. This is very limited success, as the jaw becomes tilted again anyway, even when I do not open my mouth.

Moving the jaw anyway causes my facial and neck muscles to become tired easily, and my left jawline is way lower than the right, to the point of pushing against the skin in a very noticeable manner. Also, when I lay down, the muscles around my airway becomes tight, stiff (or just uncomfortable), making it somewhat harder to breathe, and it would appear that I am grinding my teeth at night. I was given a mouthguard for this after a hospital dentist pointed out that I was doing this, and when I do not wear it, I often wake up with a headache, facial pain, tired muscles, etc.

I noticed that I get muscle spasms now, which seem to cause the involuntary movement of my jaw, tongue and even neck (tremors). I also get pain and discomfort all over my face and in various areas on the muscles in my neck and around my spine, such as the feeling of tightness behind the right eye and around and within the right ear. Etc. etc.

So, uh... do you think I qualify for NHS jaw surgery or something similar? In fact, do I even need surgery for this issue. It has really affected my quality of life to a depressing degree, but I feel as if the NHS will ignore it, so I don't know if I would even qualify.
Anonymous #1
I forgot to mention that I often get this odd sensation of liquid in my head. I dunno what that's all about though.
MongoDB
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there, here is my excuse to post my long-awaited orthodontics story.

Not in the exact same position as you but I've had an underbite for donkey's years, conveniently my orthodontist at 14 didn't bother to address it while I had my braces (which made the underbite worse, it was very slight before I got braces) despite mentioning it before I got my braces on.

I considered getting in the process for surgery for fvcking years but refrained, mostly because of familial pressure.

Anyway, just after my 20th birthday I thought fvck it, might as well see if I'm eligible for NHS treatment, booked myself a dentist appointment and asked for a referral to an orthodontics clinic to address my problem; not sure if it was just my dentist, but she was a bit of a ***** about it, saying all I had was a crossbite (*******s, although after doing research I've noticed I do indeed have a crossbite as well as my underbite) and reluctantly said she'd refer me to an orthodontist and would get a letter in the post about it.

Bloody months (at least 4) go by without a single peep about this, I end up assuming the orthodontist didn't even refer me, and start looking up alternative dentists to go to so I can get a referral. Before I end up doing this, however, I get a letter in the mail from an orthodontics clinic miles away asking me to come to an appointment. Long story short, ended up having months and months of appointments talking about avenues and risks of treatment etc, and I was told I am eligible for NHS treatment (although that was pretty self-evident considering I'd had about 6 prior appointments without a single mention from staff about any cost on my behalf).

Currently going through treatment with braces, elastics and eventual surgery, it's pretty chill. Not sure when surgery is, possibly this summer, possibly after. No idea.

From reading your post, your situation sounds about 100 times worse than the one I had and I am eligible for NHS treatment; if you get a referral to an orthodontics clinic and get told you're not eligible, I'd advise writing to the prime minister about it.

Honestly though, I'd advise going to a doctor first, considering your massive range of symptoms.

Note: you'd definitely receive treatment much faster than me: I'm a very low urgency case.

tl;dr - you definitely do, go see a dentist and go see a doctor.
Last edited by MongoDB; 3 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mongodb)
Hi there, here is my excuse to post my long-awaited orthodontics story.

Not in the exact same position as you but I've had an underbite for donkey's years, conveniently my orthodontist at 14 didn't bother to address it while I had my braces (which made the underbite worse, it was very slight before I got braces) despite mentioning it before I got my braces on.

I considered getting in the process for surgery for fvcking years but refrained, mostly because of familial pressure.

Anyway, just after my 20th birthday I thought fvck it, might as well see if I'm eligible for NHS treatment, booked myself a dentist appointment and asked for a referral to an orthodontics clinic to address my problem; not sure if it was just my dentist, but she was a bit of a ***** about it, saying all I had was a crossbite (*******s, although after doing research I've noticed I do indeed have a crossbite as well as my underbite) and reluctantly said she'd refer me to an orthodontist and would get a letter in the post about it.

Bloody months (at least 4) go by without a single peep about this, I end up assuming the orthodontist didn't even refer me, and start looking up alternative dentists to go to so I can get a referral. Before I end up doing this, however, I get a letter in the mail from an orthodontics clinic miles away asking me to come to an appointment. Long story short, ended up having months and months of appointments talking about avenues and risks of treatment etc, and I was told I am eligible for NHS treatment (although that was pretty self-evident considering I'd had about 6 prior appointments without a single mention from staff about any cost on my behalf).

Currently going through treatment with braces, elastics and eventual surgery, it's pretty chill. Not sure when surgery is, possibly this summer, possibly after. No idea.

From reading your post, your situation sounds about 100 times worse than the one I had and I am eligible for NHS treatment; if you get a referral to an orthodontics clinic and get told you're not eligible, I'd advise writing to the prime minister about it.

Honestly though, I'd advise going to a doctor first, considering your massive range of symptoms.

Note: you'd definitely receive treatment much faster than me: I'm a very low urgency case.

tl;dr - you definitely do, go see a dentist and go see a doctor.
I will then. Thank you.
Fall-Time-Panic
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What had your dentist said about it? Have you been referred to an orthodontist? I have a slight underbite and a problem with the position of my jaw which was discovered when I went to the orthodontist (barely visible upon looking st my profile unless you know it’s there tbh ) and I’ve gone thru four years of braces so far to get my teeth aligned and ready for the surgery (they put my braces on then realised I had a jaw problem, and the braces have been ready for ages to come off but my surgery is next year so they’ve decided there’s no point taking em off to put them straight back on again so I’ve got braces on atm but my teeth r fine as I have to have braces on for the surgery) anyway my point is the orthodontist will notice it and be able to recommend the best route and if I get my treatment free on the nhs then you definitely will as your situation seems a lot worse. Also, if you’ve passed the age of 18 and they say you can’t have it then you can explain the psychological issues surrounding the problem and they will probs let u have the surgery on the nhs
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Fall-Time-Panic)
What had your dentist said about it? Have you been referred to an orthodontist? I have a slight underbite and a problem with the position of my jaw which was discovered when I went to the orthodontist (barely visible upon looking st my profile unless you know it’s there tbh ) and I’ve gone thru four years of braces so far to get my teeth aligned and ready for the surgery (they put my braces on then realised I had a jaw problem, and the braces have been ready for ages to come off but my surgery is next year so they’ve decided there’s no point taking em off to put them straight back on again so I’ve got braces on atm but my teeth r fine as I have to have braces on for the surgery) anyway my point is the orthodontist will notice it and be able to recommend the best route and if I get my treatment free on the nhs then you definitely will as your situation seems a lot worse. Also, if you’ve passed the age of 18 and they say you can’t have it then you can explain the psychological issues surrounding the problem and they will probs let u have the surgery on the nhs
I will talk to a dentist about it, but at the moment, I have gum swelling due to acid from drinks, so I do not know if I will be able to get braces for some time.
Fall-Time-Panic
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah I recommend talking to the dentist as they’ll be able to easily refer you. What drinks are you having that are so acidic that your gums are swelling? I would try to cut down on that or try to drink less of whatver that is as that sounds sore and they won’t do braces or jaw surgery if they’re not confident that you’ll look after it
(Original post by Anonymous)
I will talk to a dentist about it, but at the moment, I have gum swelling due to acid from drinks, so I do not know if I will be able to get braces for some time.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Fall-Time-Panic)
Yeah I recommend talking to the dentist as they’ll be able to easily refer you. What drinks are you having that are so acidic that your gums are swelling? I would try to cut down on that or try to drink less of whatver that is as that sounds sore and they won’t do braces or jaw surgery if they’re not confident that you’ll look after it
Just some regular blackcurrant juice from a bottle, since I do not like fizzy drinks. Though, I have changed my diet some time ago, and now I will just continue to focus on reducing the swelling, using antibacterial (I assume) mouthwash, saltwater, healthier diet, brushing routine improvement and so on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads