Why do people say btecs are easy when you have a ****load of coursework to do? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Why do people say btecs are easy when you have a crapload of coursework to do? Also these new style btecs have exams
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It’s a lot easier than a levels
Anonymous #2
Report 10 months ago
It is much easier than A levels which are only for really clever people. A levels have too many exams that are difficult. There are barely any exams in BTEC and the coursework isn't difficult, it's just a lot of work. Plus A levelss are difficult to get into, you need high grades in your GCSE's. BTEC's are easier to get into, it doesn't matter what your grades are, you can start at a level to suit you.
MongoDB
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I did an access course (combination of exams and coursework equivalent to three a-levels taken in one academic year), the coursework portion of the course (except a module or two taught by a local university lecturer who had little interest in teaching us anything), while it required effort on my part to do it meticulously to guarantee a distinction grade, was laughably easy: all I had to do was read the distinction criteria and do exactly as it said. My brother who did a BTEC level 3 said the exact same thing.

(Original post by Anonymous)
Also these new style btecs have exams
Thank God for that, might make the grades actually mean something.
Last edited by MongoDB; 10 months ago
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Some a-levels such as product design and art have a load of coursework as well and you still have to do exams
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
its because your confusing a difficulty caused by quantity with a difficulty caused by ability.

Say I give you 1 day, and 1000 easy maths questions to do.. it would probably be quite hard, because finishing them all would be a rush and a nightmare! Its so much work...

Then the next day I give you 1 day, and 1 really really hard maths question. One you don't even understand at first and it takes you a whole day to research, find out how to solve it, think through all of the possibilities.. try multiple times to calculate it, and then finally you do it.

Both are difficult tasks, but the difficulty comes from different places.

In general BTECs are at a lower level than Alevels, so the actual content will be easier - and people will be right to say that it is easier...
But that doesn't mean that the difficulty in completing it may not be just as hard if the quantity of work is greater...
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
A larger volume of work doesn't make it harder. That said, some people talk as if an employer would particularly prefer an A level over a BTEC level 3, which is nonsense. They're called "equivalent" for a reason, and some employers may even like the fact that the candidate had to do large volumes of monotonous work to a deadline to get their grade if that's the sort of work the role might entail.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
A larger volume of work doesn't make it harder. That said, some people talk as if an employer would particularly prefer an A level over a BTEC level 3, which is nonsense. They're called "equivalent" for a reason, and some employers may even like the fact that the candidate had to do large volumes of monotonous work to a deadline to get their grade if that's the sort of work the role might entail.
"A larger volume of work doesn't make it harder."

it clearly does though, when time is factored in. Its just that there are different ways in which we define and measure difficulty.

If I ask you cut down 1 tree... and then a week later cut down 10 trees, I am pretty sure the second task will be harder for you (as long as the time-frames are equivalent). Just fatigue alone, physical or mental, makes it harder.. ignoring time pressures and other factors.

take someone who works 30 hours a week behind a desk.. and tell them to work 60... or take someone who works 30 hours a week, and give them twice as much work in the same time... and I am pretty sure they won't believe you when you say that the larger volume of work doesn't make it harder.
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 10 months ago
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)

it clearly does though, when time is factored in. Its just that there are different ways in which we define and measure difficulty.

If I ask you cut down 1 tree... and then a week later cut down 10 trees, I am pretty sure the second task will be harder for you (as long as the time-frames are equivalent). Just fatigue alone, physical or mental, makes it harder.. ignoring time pressures and other factors.

take someone who works 30 hours a week behind a desk.. and tell them to work 60... or take someone who works 30 hours a week, and give them twice as much work in the same time... and I am pretty sure they won't believe you when you say that the larger volume of work doesn't make it harder.
Firstly, the tree analogy doesn't work - of course cutting down 10 trees is going to be harder than cutting down 1, fatigue will start to set in and the later trees will require more exertion to cut due to energy levels being depleted. With mental work, the work itself never actually increases in difficulty as you get through it, it just becomes harder to focus for some people due to boredom, whereas for everyone, cutting down that 10th tree is going to be incredibly hard work and much harder than the first tree. Sure, with desk work, a lot of people are going to have a tough time sticking it out due to the monotony of the work and required sustainment in concentration, but I've already said this would be an admirable trait for many employers and why, bigger picture considered, a BTEC level 3 isn't worth less than an A level to most employers.
HoldThisL
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Because BTECs are done by less intelligent people.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I have experience of both as I did a BTEC for fun alongside my A Levels as an extra. It is a lot of work, but at no point did I feel it was "difficult". Also, with exams, if you fail you fail. Whereas with my BTEC I was handing coursework in and they were giving advice about what to change etc, so I knew for a fact it was going to be a super good grade. There's none of that help or security with A Levels. If you don't perform well in exams then a BTEC could be a fantastic option as an alternative for you.
username4412650
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
What is not easy about having access to text books and internet to do your coursework, no exam conditions, it’s marked and returned to you to do corrections, you have so much time to complete it etc, and you can retake the exam if you fail it the first time. You can literally cheat. Compared to A levels where you have to memorise around 100 Supreme Court cases and rulings, quotes, around 100 different events and the dates of said events, 30 different theories all for a couple of exams. Btecs are easy. Just because you have a lot of coursework it doesn’t make it harder than A levels 😂😂
Last edited by username4412650; 10 months ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
Why do people say btecs are easy when you have a crapload of coursework to do? Also these new style btecs have exams
Because some people find coursework a lot easier than exams.
username4412650
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

A larger quantity of coursework does not make it harder 😂 you have so much time to do it in, you have the internet, books, your notes etc. The coursework itself is not difficult and you can practically cheat, your teacher can mark it and give it back to you for you to do corrections. You get coursework for A Levels too you know... I dont history, literature and English language and we get 5000 word essays for all of them that goes to 20% of the final grade, on top of all our other work.
Becky_x56
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I take a level physics chemistry and maths and I have friends who take btecs and our work load is so different, they never do work during frees but I don’t have enough time to do work. They can spend a few hours doing hw a week and still be into date where as I spend hours each day and am still behind. My work is so much more difficult also.
HobbinsE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
All the time btec students should spend on their assignments/coursework is the time a level students should spend revising for their exams. It’s a similar work load just with different assessment methods. BTEC is seen as easier because you get a second chance on assignments for some courses where as a level exams are final. Personally remembering all the information needed for an exam (a level) is harder than having the answers in front of me and writing an essay/assignment (btec/access to he). But it really depends on your learning style and how you manage your time while on the course. If you manage your time well and put the work in a btec doesn’t have to be hard at all.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
Firstly, the tree analogy doesn't work - of course cutting down 10 trees is going to be harder than cutting down 1, fatigue will start to set in and the later trees will require more exertion to cut due to energy levels being depleted. With mental work, the work itself never actually increases in difficulty as you get through it, it just becomes harder to focus for some people due to boredom, whereas for everyone, cutting down that 10th tree is going to be incredibly hard work and much harder than the first tree. Sure, with desk work, a lot of people are going to have a tough time sticking it out due to the monotony of the work and required sustainment in concentration, but I've already said this would be an admirable trait for many employers and why, bigger picture considered, a BTEC level 3 isn't worth less than an A level to most employers.
"fatigue will start to set in and the later trees will require more exertion to cut due to energy levels being depleted."

"With mental work, the work itself never actually increases in difficulty as you get through it, it just becomes harder...."

Ignorning that mental fatigue is just as real as physical fatigue.. you clearly say "it just becomes harder..." and gave me a reason why.

you intiially said:

Now you say:

"it just becomes harder...."

---

I think you've just realized you were wrong.

I agree that physical work has a much steeper curve of difficulty over time then mental work. (e.g. the gap between 2 hours and 8 hours of physical work, is much greater then the gap between 2/8 of mental) but that's besides the point. I took issue with you saying that volume doesn't make it harder.. which it does, and now you have said it does.
Ibby_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
unpopular opinion but a levels are easier than btecs. Only difference is no exams
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by anonONE1)
A larger quantity of coursework does not make it harder 😂 you have so much time to do it in, you have the internet, books, your notes etc. The coursework itself is not difficult and you can practically cheat, your teacher can mark it and give it back to you for you to do corrections. You get coursework for A Levels too you know... I dont history, literature and English language and we get 5000 word essays for all of them that goes to 20% of the final grade, on top of all our other work.
if I give you the choice between 1 exam, or 100 pieces of coursework, both to be completed within 2 weeks..

what will you choose?

If I give you a choice between 10 exams or 1 piece of coursework, both to be completed within 2 weeks..

What will you choose?

If your a normal person, then your answer is all the demonstration you need to prove that quantity of work, does increase the difficulty you face, as long as time is consistent.

The specifics of BTECs and what you can/cant do within their courses is irrelevant to the post you quoted of mine, which was just me taking issue with someone claiming that difficulty doesn't increase when your workload increases.
username4412650
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
if I give you the choice between 1 exam, or 100 pieces of coursework, both to be completed within 2 weeks..

what will you choose?

If I give you a choice between 10 exams or 1 piece of coursework, both to be completed within 2 weeks..

What will you choose?

If your a normal person, then your answer is all the demonstration you need to prove that quantity of work, does increase the difficulty you face, as long as time is consistent.

The specifics of BTECs and what you can/cant do within their courses is irrelevant to the post you quoted of mine, which was just me taking issue with someone claiming that difficulty doesn't increase when your workload increases.
No no no don’t give me some weird analogy... that doesn’t work and can’t be applied to this situation! “If I give you 10 exams”??? When’s that happening? You’re not getting 10 exams? Where’s that come from? Give me a real example of A Level and Btec work and then I might listen to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (82)
13.67%
1 (81)
13.5%
2 (78)
13%
19.83%
21.5%
18.5%

Watched Threads