The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

INTit
How about "Computer science" I can't believe those nerds think using msn and word is is a "science" a monkey could do that degree.

That's proper sarcasm.

You fools of Tooks couldn't notice the first entry in the Bumper Book of Sarcasm eh?
Master Polhem
Yeah that might be the politically correct way of going about Higher Education, no one will ever respect you though. Bummer.

But surely if you're taking a degree in something so incredibly random, you'll be employed as something incredibly random and therefore your degree is of use?

I'm not saying that the incredibly stupid degrees are a good thing, but some that people call 'Mickey Mouse' degrees are just as important as other degrees.

But this discussion has been done to death: there's still a 20 page thread running currently and nobody is ever going to agree so why continue chasing our own tails?
Reply 42
stryker101
yeah you can study 3 years full time in OUTDOOR ADVENTURE at Marjon i think it is.
quoting the prospectus cos i found it so funny something like

"many of the alumi go on to work in outdoot adventure centers and many go on to further study" - i mean wtf do they offer a PHD in outdoor adventure too?

That is what my cousin did, I dn if it was at Marjon, i dn where that is, but it was at some uni up near Hull.
Reply 43
I heard that as part of a degree in Public Services they were doing a module on studying the training benifits of indoor grenade ranges...

:wink:
agricultural studies - a degree in farming
Reply 45
All BA degrees are useless.

/joke
Reply 46
PhD in Air Guitar!

(and all arts subjects.......)
Reply 47
When they take an art and call the degree "[art] Science."

Like sport science, football science, language sciences, sandwich-making science...

:grr:

Oh and the obligatory 'Dairy Herd Management' of course.
greeny11
Yes, that does seem like a useless degree, although if your friend wants to do it, it's their choice.

The phD in waves made me laugh though! :biggrin:

see thats what i thought, then when i READ the course modules etc...you realise you can't judge a course by its name

basically, its a LOT of sport science, eg performance, psychology, biomechanics etc and then theres like 1-2 modules in oceanography, navigation etc

here's a link...

http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/coursetypes/undergraduate/BScHonsWaterSportsScience/downloads/filetodownload,76626,en.pdf

oh and its portsmouth not plymouth

seriously, don't judge a course by its name...
Sexual Health Studies :wink:
INTit
How about "Computer science" I can't believe those nerds think using msn and word is is a "science" a monkey could do that degree.

Its not ICT, honestly....

Really its just a maths degree involving how to program a computer. You could leave a CS degree and not be able to turn a computer on. Seriously.
Reply 51
stryker101
yeah you can study 3 years full time in OUTDOOR ADVENTURE at Marjon i think it is.
quoting the prospectus cos i found it so funny something like

"many of the alumi go on to work in outdoot adventure centers and many go on to further study" - i mean wtf do they offer a PHD in outdoor adventure too?

Friend of mine did this course at FD level, he earns £30k and spends his time mucking about with kids in canoes, rock climbing etc. Hardly a useless degree:rolleyes:
Reply 52
A Stranger in Moscow
Sexual Health Studies :wink:

Where can you do that? :wink:
greeny11
Yes, that does seem like a useless degree, although if your friend wants to do it, it's their choice.

The phD in waves made me laugh though! :biggrin:

More sophisticated people call it particle physics phemonology. Now that can be a nasty subject...
Reply 55
Gemz87
Friend of mine did this course at FD level, he earns £30k and spends his time mucking about with kids in canoes, rock climbing etc. Hardly a useless degree:rolleyes:

Wow, he must be a pretty savvy chap if the police haven't cottoned on yet! :biggrin:
Reply 56
you can get an air conditioning degree at anglia ruskin
HCD
Wow, he must be a pretty savvy chap if the police haven't cottoned on yet! :biggrin:

:rofl:
Reply 58
INTit

Such ignorance...:rolleyes:
Reply 59
benbread
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/694451.stm

It's actually a football culture degree with a major part involving the life of DB - Definitely stupid!

My degree involves a module next year centred on Robin Hood. Is that stupid?

Latest