Fayeeeee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What is the contrast between a fountain and a cistern?

Could I say that a fountain is pure and a cistern is dirty
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Faye,

You should not say that, you would be absolutely wrong.
The context of the converstaion between Othello and Desdemona and Othello's belief that she has been false towards him
If "Fountain" is from Act 4 Sc 2 L. 60 then the meaning is source of his love for her.
If "Cistern" is from Act 4 Sc 2 L. 62 then the meaning is also a reference of his love for her. However in this case Desdemona's betrayal also colours Othello's love for her. Both refer to his love for Desdamona and both contrast how Othello sees Desdamona.

Both are metaphors.
Fayeeeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamesg2)
Faye,

You should not say that, you would be absolutely wrong.
The context of the converstaion between Othello and Desdemona and Othello's belief that she has been false towards him
If "Fountain" is from Act 4 Sc 2 L. 60 then the meaning is source of his love for her.
If "Cistern" is from Act 4 Sc 2 L. 62 then the meaning is also a reference of his love for her. However in this case Desdemona's betrayal also colours Othello's love for her. Both refer to his love for Desdamona and both contrast how Othello sees Desdamona.

Both are metaphors.
So his love for her was the fountain and because of her betrayal it is degraded into the cistern?
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, and no. Metaphors can be difficult.
While Othello believed Desdamon's love for him was pure and genuine then he saw her love like fountain - the source for all his love for her and something that is positive.
When Othello believes she has betrayed him the fountain - a positive term - becomes negative, just like Othello's love for her has changed. Now it is a "cistern". Yes still a water source - i.e. a sourve for his love - but now this source is negative. The use of the "cistern" image implies that in Othello's eyes he believes Desdamon's love for him is also currupt.
Last edited by jamesg2; 1 year ago
Fayeeeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamesg2)
Yes, and no. Metaphors can be difficult.
While Othello believed Desdamon's love for him was pure and genuine then he saw her love like fountain - the source for all his love for her and something that is positive.
When Othello believes she has betrayed him the fountain - a positive term - becomes negative, just like Othello's love for her has changed. Now it is a "cistern". Yes still a water source - i.e. a sourve for his love - but now this source is negative. The use of the "cistern" image implies that in Othello's eyes he believes Desdamon's love for him is also currupt.
Okay thank youu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.32%
I'm not sure (3)
2.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (41)
32.28%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.67%

Watched Threads