vantaek
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i’ve got offers for both, with a contextual offer at manchester so i’d only have to achieve AAB if i put them as my firm instead of AAA to meet it. york also accept AAA equivalents such as A*AB and A*A*C. i like both universities although the only thing putting me off york is that it’s less diverse than manchester and seems a little more boring in terms of social life but overall i wouldn’t mind ending up at either. i’m just unsure about which to put down as my firm to study law :/
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How do you know that?
Arisapo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vantaek)
i’ve got offers for both, with a contextual offer at manchester so i’d only have to achieve AAB if i put them as my firm instead of AAA to meet it. york also accept AAA equivalents such as A*AB and A*A*C. i like both universities although the only thing putting me off york is that it’s less diverse than manchester and seems a little more boring in terms of social life but overall i wouldn’t mind ending up at either. i’m just unsure about which to put down as my firm to study law :/
Both are pretty much alike in terms of reputation and employability so it’s more down to what your personal preference is.

You’re right in the sense that Manchester is more diverse and a party city compared to York, so if that’s what you prefer then Manchester is a good choice; York will still have plenty to do but imagine the nightlife is less varied.

York’s PBL is a big selling point to a lot of prospective students so you may find that a reason to choose them.

In terms of the contextual offer, I wouldn’t factor that in too much because if you firm York I almost guarantee you’d also be let in if you achieved AAB.

They are both very good unis to study law so it’s more down to where you’d feel at home to study for 3 years of your life.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Manchester likely is better on paper (spanks York in global rankings), is in the top 10 highfliers research for graduate employability (what if you decide not to be a lawyer) and is a far larger university and attached to a more lively area.

If you want a more small town feel and a campus based uni then go to York.

But in all reality Manchester is the far more prestigious place...
Arisapo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Manchester likely is better on paper (spanks York in global rankings), is in the top 10 highfliers research for graduate employability (what if you decide not to be a lawyer) and is a far larger university and attached to a more lively area.

Notoriety can confirm this but I’d hardly say it’s far more prestigious.

Both are very good law schools and going to Manchester over York isn’t going to place you in a significantly better position.

Manchester is higher than York on global rankings purely because it is a well known and big city which attracts a lot of internationals.

And if we’re going by QS global rankings, the 2018 one had Essex as the 47th best law school in the world, above the likes of Bristol, Durham, Leeds, Glasgow and York.

Would you rather Essex than Durham?
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)

It is very difficult to keep a straight face when someone is talking about prestige outside of the Golden Triangle unis. In reality, York is the more selective uni with the better students. If you are going to go Manchester because it has an association with Nobel Prize winners in the sciences, then you're welcome to that -- but you're a bit of a muppet.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't think I have seen him post owt law related. Must be secretive about it and not want it out. Which is why it's so nice of you to tag him in this thread hahaha.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh yeah, my mate Andrew definitely studies there. Seems he's very much enjoying it and wishing him the best of luck with his upcoming exams.
aspiringlawyerNW
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vantaek)
Sorry- just seen this!

York is campus based. So it's not like being in a big city (I'm from Manchester and I've lived in Liverpool for six years), but it's probably more social because there isn't SO many people. I have a friend at Manchester who barely knows the people on her course because there are just so many. Whereas we do a lot of small group work where you see the same faces. It may not be as diverse as Manchester, but it's definitely diverse. In my firm there is a girl from Hong Kong, a girl from Kenya, a guy from Lebanon and a guy from Cyprus.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (101)
13.4%
I'm not sure (32)
4.24%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (236)
31.3%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.39%
I'm not a current university student (367)
48.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed