How long did it take you to complete your dissertation?

Watch
Human_bean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(My subject is undergrad Law)

Just wanted an idea on how long it generally takes people to complete theirs. Especially those who got 1sts.

Mine is 10-15,000 words. I’m aiming for closer to 15,000
Last edited by Human_bean; 1 year ago
Moments
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well it's 10-15k words for our engineering ones. Somewhere around 100 pages with diagrams.

Law i imagine would be a higher word count but less visual?

I've been working on mine for 2 days a week for the past month (lab tests/lit review) and i'm about halfway done.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thinking of doing a dissertation next year......

How many credits did your dissertations count for and how much class were you relieved of? At my uni it's 20 credits. So I'm guessing I'll have one very light semester?
Human_bean
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moments)
Well it's 10-15k words for our engineering ones. Somewhere around 100 pages with diagrams.

Law i imagine would be a higher word count but less visual?

I've been working on mine for 2 days a week for the past month (lab tests/lit review) and i'm about halfway done.
Ah no my word count is the same as yours, but you’re correct - no visuals 😪.
Ok, that’s comforting to hear. I’ve been doing about the same (weekends mainly) and I was worried that I’m not working as hard as other students. But I (and I’m sure yourself too!) have so much other work to complete at the same time 🥴.

Good luck with your disso, I hope it goes well and you get a fantastic grade 😁
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Two weeks. I predicted unified/scalable user interfaces between desktops and phones.
Human_bean
Rep:
?
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Thinking of doing a dissertation next year......

How many credits did your dissertations count for and how much class were you relieved of? At my uni it's 20 credits. So I'm guessing I'll have one very light semester?
Hey 👋🏼

Mine is 30 credits, and in total we must make up 120 credits for the year.

In terms of class, do you mean whether we get time off? For us, how it worked out was, we had lectures from Sep-Dec and then we handed in a proposal which was marked and adjusted if necessary, and now from Feb-May we have no classes. Just meetings with supervisors whenever we book them (although I’d like to stress that you’ll be doing a lot of independent work and research as supervisors are notoriously difficult to get a hold of).

What subject are you studying?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Undergrad, maybe 40 hours (marked at 85). Master's, about 50 hours (marked at 86). PhD, 13 months (passed).
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Human_bean)
Hey 👋🏼

Mine is 30 credits, and in total we must make up 120 credits for the year.

In terms of class, do you mean whether we get time off? For us, how it worked out was, we had lectures from Sep-Dec and then we handed in a proposal which was marked and adjusted if necessary, and now from Feb-May we have no classes. Just meetings with supervisors whenever we book them (although I’d like to stress that you’ll be doing a lot of independent work and research as supervisors are notoriously difficult to get a hold of).

What subject are you studying?
Nothing to dramatic, Business Management at a friendly RG

Definitely need to do one though as I'm going straight to masters. Feel like the practice would be beneficial. Possibly in a small amount but still.
GraduateLynx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(My subject is undergrad Law)

Just wanted an idea on how long it generally takes people to complete theirs. Especially those who got 1sts.

Mine is 10-15,000 words. I’m aiming for closer to 15,000
My one took close to 4 weeks because I don’t like to rush things. Rome wasn’t built in a day and so wasn’t my dissertation. Got a good mark though, 68.

P.S It was only 6000 words
Last edited by GraduateLynx; 1 year ago
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GraduateLynx)
My one took close to 4 weeks because I don’t like to rush things. Rome wasn’t built in a day and so was my dissertation. Got a good mark though, 68.

Must not have been a tough uni lol.
Moments
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ah no my word count is the same as yours, but you’re correct - no visuals 😪.
Ok, that’s comforting to hear. I’ve been doing about the same (weekends mainly) and I was worried that I’m not working as hard as other students. But I (and I’m sure yourself too!) have so much other work to complete at the same time 🥴.

Good luck with your disso, I hope it goes well and you get a fantastic grade 😁
Yeah sometimes I have to remember that there are other modules which are worth just as many credits! Have a Geotechnics assignment which is just pages and pages of equations i need to get started on too.

I'd expect a high 1st (85%+) to actually be 20k+ words that is cut back to 15k. If you're doing 2 days a week you should be there by submission.

Good luck to you too, a strong dissertation is definitely something you could bring along to a job interview as supporting documents.
Just a Bloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Six long, panicked, painful days of researching from 7am-2pm, and then writing 2k words from 2pm-10pm. Politics degree! Managed a 76 in the end at least, though it took me weeks to regain my sense of sanity. My girlfriend even complained for days after submission that I would begin walking with my arms held upright and bent in front of me, as if I were typing at my desk.
Human_bean
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tootles)
Two weeks. I predicted unified/scalable user interfaces between desktops and phones.
2 weeks? Wow. Can I be cheeky and ask you what grade you got 😁

Also, I really like the sound of that topic!
Human_bean
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Undergrad, maybe 40 hours (marked at 85). Master's, about 50 hours (marked at 86). PhD, 13 months (passed).
Ah cool! I am aiming on spending a total of 40/50 hours on mine too. Well done with those grades btw!
Human_bean
Rep:
?
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Nothing to dramatic, Business Management at a friendly RG

Definitely need to do one though as I'm going straight to masters. Feel like the practice would be beneficial. Possibly in a small amount but still.
Oh yes I would definitely recommend you do one if you intend to study Masters. I want to study a Masters degree in Law, and I’m hoping to use my dissertation as a selling/talking point. 😁
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ah cool! I am aiming on spending a total of 40/50 hours on mine too. Well done with those grades btw!
It's entirely feasible if you keep on top of things - good luck (I am sure you do not need it!)
Human_bean
Rep:
?
(Original post by GraduateLynx)
My one took close to 4 weeks because I don’t like to rush things. Rome wasn’t built in a day and so wasn’t my dissertation. Got a good mark though, 68.

That was with working every day I assume? Great grade though so well done! 😁
sammyj97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What is a dissertation? Is it required by all courses?
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
2 weeks? Wow. Can I be cheeky and ask you what grade you got 😁

Also, I really like the sound of that topic!
41%. I had a nervous breakdown, had been getting 95% and more until honours year. When I fell over I got no support from the uni, basically my mate pulled me through it by main force.
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I spent a little over 1 month doing fieldwork, then about 5 months writing up the dissertation itself (my subject is geoscience)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (251)
33.92%
No (489)
66.08%

Watched Threads