Just a dude in year 13 struggling to cope with life Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,
I am a year 13 student and school is currently playing a huge role in my dejection for life. I study IT, Computer Science and Accounting. To many, these may seem like subjects, but for me, specifically, computer science and accounting are by far the hardest. I am a really slow learner and so I tend to struggle a lot with actually remembering the content. I work really hard to get good grades but I'm just scraping by and it's really putting me off. The exams are close and I am revising but deep down I feel like I am not going to get into uni and if I don't, well, then I will have nothing. My life may as well be over because I'll have let my parents down and myself and I just can't do that anymore. My dream is to study computer science and uni and become a software engineer but at the moment, these dreams only feel like dreams and not something that will become a reality. I am depressed and anxious and don't know what to make of my life and how to be motivated anymore.
ohdahnnyboi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,
I am a year 13 student and school is currently playing a huge role in my dejection for life. I study IT, Computer Science and Accounting. To many, these may seem like subjects, but for me, specifically, computer science and accounting are by far the hardest. I am a really slow learner and so I tend to struggle a lot with actually remembering the content. I work really hard to get good grades but I'm just scraping by and it's really putting me off. The exams are close and I am revising but deep down I feel like I am not going to get into uni and if I don't, well, then I will have nothing. My life may as well be over because I'll have let my parents down and myself and I just can't do that anymore. My dream is to study computer science and uni and become a software engineer but at the moment, these dreams only feel like dreams and not something that will become a reality. I am depressed and anxious and don't know what to make of my life and how to be motivated anymore.
im in y11 and I do GCSE Computer Science, and although it can't be as hard as A level, I get what u mean. All of it. about letting ur parents down, yourself, not getting into uni, i worry about it too.
one thing to remember; you'll learn better if u enjoy the subject. now, since r in y13, it's probably a bit late to change, but weigh up what bits u do and dont like. u dont want to end up going in a career direction that u hate.
also, winners are dreamers who never quit - don't doubt urself, i bet ur amazing, i mean u did gcses, i havent even so lol
just keep working hard, and don't forget to take time out to enjoy yourself and to relax. u sound really stressed, and maybe slowing down a bit might help
good luck
Anonymous #1
Thank You for you response. The thing is I do enjoy my subjects but when I sit down and know I have to study for these exams and that 3 letters will essentially determine whether or not I get into uni is destroying me.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ohdahnnyboi)
im in y11 and I do GCSE Computer Science, and although it can't be as hard as A level, I get what u mean. All of it. about letting ur parents down, yourself, not getting into uni, i worry about it too.
one thing to remember; you'll learn better if u enjoy the subject. now, since r in y13, it's probably a bit late to change, but weigh up what bits u do and dont like. u dont want to end up going in a career direction that u hate.
also, winners are dreamers who never quit - don't doubt urself, i bet ur amazing, i mean u did gcses, i havent even so lol
just keep working hard, and don't forget to take time out to enjoy yourself and to relax. u sound really stressed, and maybe slowing down a bit might help
good luck
Thanks for your response. The thing is that I actually do really enjoy the subjects I do but every time I sit down to study and know that at the end after my exams, there will be 3 letters that determine whether or not I get into uni is destroying me.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ohdahnnyboi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
ikr! a couple letters can determine your life :eek: however, as long as you don't give up, you'll be fine - maybe just think moment by moment, and try not to entertain the fear too much, or else it'll eat at u
Thanks for your response. The thing is that I actually do really enjoy the subjects I do but every time I sit down to study and know that at the end after my exams, there will be 3 letters that determine whether or not I get into uni is destroying me.
shadowdweller
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,
Talk to your teachers about this as soon as possible if you're struggling - the earlier you do that, the more time you will have to make positive changes. It's still relatively early in the year, so the fact that you are struggling now does not mean that you won't be able to get better with it with time and effort, especially if you work with your teachers to find the best way of doing that.

This year, and university in general, are not the be all and end all, however, and not getting in does not mean you have let anyone down, including yourself. There are other options, and other routes into university; there are even other routes into software engineering. That's not to say that you shouldn't work hard and try to get the grades you need, but things aren't over if you don't manage that; nothing is the end of the world, except the end of the world, and everything is fixable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads