The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Pure Maths 2 - 12th June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

I'm not talking about the grade boundaries but just the question where you had to realise that the sum was an integral XD, overall I think the grade boundaries will be similar to last year; may drop by few percent, may increase, no one knows it depends on the stats and mechanics, if its as hard as paper 2 then they will definitely drop a lot.

Sorry if I sounded "narcissistic" whatever that means, I'm not the best person in English as I came to England 5 years ago XD
Original post by AnxiousStudent_1
I can think of a million ways you could have said that without sounding narcissistic AF, and we have accounted for people like you who have done really well, grade boundaries are based on performances of the whole cohort, not just one person individually.
Oh ok, I understand where you are coming from. However, based on these two papers, there is very little indication of the grade boundaries being anything like the ones last year.
Original post by IWantToDoMaths
I'm not talking about the grade boundaries but just the question where you had to realise that the sum was an integral XD, overall I think the grade boundaries will be similar to last year; may drop by few percent, may increase, no one knows it depends on the stats and mechanics, if its as hard as paper 2 then they will definitely drop a lot.

Sorry if I sounded "narcissistic" whatever that means, I'm not the best person in English as I came to England 5 years ago XD
Original post by honeybooooo
Would 51% scrape a B? :frown:

It just might actually
Remember, these are last year's boundaries, and this year is probably going to be lower
my opinion:

A-level isn't just about reading the book, if you do A-level from something it means you really enjoy the subject, and you want to go outside of the book, understanding how something works in mathematics is the most important thing you need for the exam, that's why I think I did so well, I believe I got about 86% from both papers because I did EVERYTHING to understand each topic, sums as integrals was a piece of cake for me XD.

Also, Edexcel sometimes does that, take Further mechanics as for an example, there is a topic covering "collisions in two dimensions" the actual book covers collisions with I axis and J axis, but never with any kind of a vector; however review exercises have a lot of vector collision questions :smile:

I got the question, because I have done some wider reading and it was covered in a book on classical mechanics that I read for my personal statement. But consider this: some people just want to meet their offer and be done with it. A lot of people, in fact. I enjoy the subject and I'm actually interested in mathematics as an academic field, but you and I are probably in the minority here. When it comes to meeting the grade that a university told you to get, knowing what can and can't come up is important. People generally trust that the textbook has everything they need, because you only really get taught a topic once at school.

The further mechanics comparison doesn't really apply - there aren't any questions in any Edexcel textbook that mention integrals being the limit of a sum.
You are right too :smile:

P.S. in the further mechanics I didn't mean collisions and integrals, but collisions with 2D vectors, when the velocity is a vector, In mixed exercise 5 there are questions like that and are not covered by the book itself XD.
Original post by Sinnoh
I got the question, because I have done some wider reading and it was covered in a book on classical mechanics that I read for my personal statement. But consider this: some people just want to meet their offer and be done with it. A lot of people, in fact. I enjoy the subject and I'm actually interested in mathematics as an academic field, but you and I are probably in the minority here. When it comes to meeting the grade that a university told you to get, knowing what can and can't come up is important. People generally trust that the textbook has everything they need, because you only really get taught a topic once at school.

The further mechanics comparison doesn't really apply - there aren't any questions in any Edexcel textbook that mention integrals being the limit of a sum.
Here is question 14 from today and the 'same' question in the January 2014 C34 IAL Edexcel paper. As you can see, there were some slight additions but they're very similar.

Today: 20190612_215336.jpg
2014: 20190612_215129.jpg
That's great, do you want a trophy? XD
my opinion:

A-level isn't just about reading the book, if you do A-level from something it means you really enjoy the subject, and you want to go outside of the book, understanding how something works in mathematics is the most important thing you need for the exam, that's why I think I did so well, I believe I got about 86% from both papers because I did EVERYTHING to understand each topic, sums as integrals was a piece of cake for me XD.

Also, Edexcel sometimes does that, take Further mechanics as for an example, there is a topic covering "collisions in two dimensions" the actual book covers collisions with I axis and J axis, but never with any kind of a vector; however review exercises have a lot of vector collision questions :smile:
Do you have pictures of the paper?
Original post by MathsMeme
Here is question 14 from today and the 'same' question in the January 2014 C34 IAL Edexcel paper. As you can see, there were some slight additions but they're very similar.

With the apparently leaked paper the person who tweeted it clearly made the account just for that purpose and made it anonymous probably so they wouldn’t be held accountable. And when people asked for proof that they got the picture before the date of the exam they refused and made up some excuses like there phone was an android and that they couldn’t take a picture of their phone so it’s probably fake (and I think they said they would delete the tweet because it was getting out of control)

The question that was on a previous paper I think was ok to use because only the first part was the same and they gave you the answer in this paper anyway.
4 wut? XD
Original post by forgotten_one
That's great, do you want a trophy? XD
my opinion:

If you are an average student looking to scrape a C, B or an A, please completely ignore this person. 90% of the country found this paper extremely challenging and they are a minority don’t let them stress you out
Original post by Fighter365
If you are an average student looking to scrape a C, B or an A, please completely ignore this person. 90% of the country found this paper extremely challenging and they are a minority don’t let them stress you out

Unfortunately TSR is dangerous sometimes if you’re not an A* student as some will try and drag your confidence down completely. Don’t let them
Can someone do a worked solution for question 14c pls, I’ve done it several times using different methods and I always end up with literally 3 million years xD
Before you judge anyone's actions you should look at all the messages they write, not just a single one that I wrote...

I always try to improve confidence in others, and in me. I always try to explain to everyone why the grade boundaries will be low. the only point im making there is to justify what Edexcel did with interpreting sum to infinity as an integral.

So please stop insulting people because they got a question right that you didn't get.
Original post by Fighter365
Original post by MathsMeme

I also noticed this and I was very surprised - I expect more originality from exam writers especially since this is a new spec.
I wish I did more past papers, I always thought that they will be unreliable for the new spec, so I just did the practice specimen papers, and book exam questions, it comes out I was wrong XD
Original post by Notnek
I also noticed this and I was very surprised - I expect more originality from exam writers especially since this is a new spec.
I wish I did more past papers, I always thought that they will be unreliable for the new spec, so I just did the practice specimen papers, and book exam questions, it comes out I was wrong XD

Make up for that by doing lots of hard old spec questions for stats and mechanics!
Do you have any of these "hard" type questions?
Original post by Notnek
Make up for that by doing lots of hard old spec questions for stats and mechanics!
yea! I really need an a* so I need to be consistent on my papers. Hopefully the grade boundaries are low, most of the country seemed to hate both papers.

classic Edexcel
P.S https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F1DwH8HX6s <-------
Original post by Notnek
Original post by python_
Do you have any of these "hard" type questions?

Here are some although some have a focus on modelling and are not necessarily "hard":

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=83916128&postcount=20

M2 IAL papers tended to have some very hard questions - look for statics/moments, projectiles (ignore energy) and kinematic questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending