The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Pure Maths 2 - 12th June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnxiousStudent_1
Generally, people tend to struggle on the applied paper (based on examiner reports that I have read). If you do well in the applied paper, it is very likely you will get an A*. (If grade boundaries are as low as I suspect they will be though, your pure grades may be hovering about the A* range :smile:)

Yea, I HATE statistics, and I hope that the paper wont be as difficult as the other ones, I can cope with pure, but stats at this difficulty is a no no for me XD
Feeling super nervous for tomorrow.
I really hope the trend in difficulty of the papers doesn't continue. I found last years applied paper hard enough!
Hopefully we get a question on Venn diagrams and pulleys 🤣🤞🏼
Original post by mnnbv
IMG-20190613-WA0004-compressed.jpg.jpeg

IMG-20190613-WA0005-compressed.jpg.jpeg

can anyone work out part b please?

this is part of stats and mech book 2 chapter 7 mixed ex
this is from the online textbook
apparently it is a new question they added in

thanks

How did you
Original post by mnnbv

thanks

How did you do part a
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTQfD66_hoE

Im not sure which part of the answer has stumped you, but maybe watch the above video, in the first section where he labels the x and y forces.

For the question you gave, you have to find the x and y forces, then find their resultant force on A , if you still dont understand let me know and id be happy to help
Original post by mnnbv

thanks
Original post by steveeem

Im not sure which part of the answer has stumped you, but maybe watch the above video, in the first section where he labels the x and y forces.

For the question you gave, you have to find the x and y forces, then find their resultant force on A , if you still dont understand let me know and id be happy to help

Thanks everyone Haha!

I did manage to do it, I was having a mind blank about the stupid hinge lol
Original post by IWantToDoMaths
I'm worried cos I need A* from maths for both my firm and insurance XD

yeah so do i.how many marks do you think you have so far out of 2 papers. (if you don't want to mention it that's fine I am just interested)
saaaame, I can cope with pure being so difficult, but stats will KILL me, especially Conditional probability, its easy outside, but in the inside, It can bring up some disgusting questions.
Original post by mnnbv
Feeling super nervous for tomorrow.
I really hope the trend in difficulty of the papers doesn't continue. I found last years applied paper hard enough!
Hopefully we get a question on Venn diagrams and pulleys 🤣🤞🏼
Original post by Petar34
How did you do part a

Moments from A along AB x
saaaame, I can cope with pure being so difficult, but stats will KILL me, especially Conditional probability, its easy outside, but in the inside, It can bring up some disgusting questions.

well from your previous posts about what you think you got in pure, you can get 50% and definitely get an A*
(edited 4 years ago)
I think I got about 176 - 174, most of the mistakes I made was calculation, or I just didn't pay enough attention (e.g. in the car question I read 20,30 instead of 30,20 OOF), what do you think you got?

+There comes Further maths, I'm really scared for that one, I am thinking I got like 126 / 150 (84%) so I hope that's an A*
Original post by the cookie
yeah so do i.how many marks do you think you have so far out of 2 papers. (if you don't want to mention it that's fine I am just interested)
this is when the question specifies that your criticals values should be as close to 2.5% something like that. If questions doesnt say that then its the normal way
Original post by Eigene
43C65346-D241-45CB-8F26-386A027EA967.jpg.jpeg0045C02E-ADE5-4AC7-A00C-FC71F8A4F651.jpg.jpeg

Does anyone know why they use the “closer to significance level for one and not the other”, I always thought you just set the critical region where it’s within the significance level
Original post by mnnbv
Moments from A along AB x

why is it not valid to resolve upwards and say Tcos45=40g ?
a lot worse than that. I thought paper1 went quite good for me so I think I got 80-85%. but paper2 ruined me and I only think I got 60-65%.you have nothing to worry about if you thought you got 174-176 that is 87%/88% which is definitely at a*. last years grade boundary for a* was 76%
I think I got about 176 - 174, most of the mistakes I made was calculation, or I just didn't pay enough attention (e.g. in the car question I read 20,30 instead of 30,20 OOF), what do you think you got?

+There comes Further maths, I'm really scared for that one, I am thinking I got like 126 / 150 (84%) so I hope that's an A*
Your missing a couple of forces that act at A, watch the start of this video
Original post by Petar34
why is it not valid to resolve upwards and say Tcos45=40g ?
75% for A* you think? possible but I won't take it for granted XD

I will try my best, and I'm sure you will too, :smile: good luck tomorrow

-everyone:
"THESE PAPERS WERE TOO HARD"
-Edexcel:
"Realised that they made the papers way too hard and now are rushing to make new easier ones just before the exam"

Original post by mnnbv
well from your previous posts about what you think you got in pure, you can get 50% and definitely get an A*
What you think they made changes for paper 3? If thats what you mean, sadly its not possible
75% for A* you think? possible but I won't take it for granted XD

I will try my best, and I'm sure you will too, :smile: good luck tomorrow

-everyone:
"THESE PAPERS WERE TOO HARD"
-Edexcel:
"Realised that they made the papers way too hard and now are rushing to make new easier ones just before the exam"
Your missing a couple of forces that act at A, watch the start of this video

I get what you’re saying but isn’t the rod at right angle to A so there would only be a horizontal reaction force?
Just a Joke XD, I hope the last paper is bit less difficult so people can calm down about all that "I'm getting a U" by now everyone should know that the grade boundaries will be reflected upon the whole country, so if many people think they failed and got really low marks (which seems to be the scenario) then the grade boundaries will be similar, or even LOWER than last years.
What you think they made changes for paper 3? If thats what you mean, sadly its not possible
I think the problem people have is that because over half the papers were too tough for B students and lower, the marks separating a B student and a U student will be small. So both a B student who would’ve done well with the old spec and a U student who would’ve done bad anyway will get similar marks which is unfair and means that a silly mistake can cost a grade.
Just a Joke XD, I hope the last paper is bit less difficult so people can calm down about all that "I'm getting a U" by now everyone should know that the grade boundaries will be reflected upon the whole country, so if many people think they failed and got really low marks (which seems to be the scenario) then the grade boundaries will be similar, or even LOWER than last years.
I may be late to the party but your memory has nothing to do with brain size, it's to do with how many connections you have between neurons. the more you reinforce the connections, the stronger they are and the more you form new connections (learn new things) the more you remember.

chill out and do some revision for tomorrow mate
Original post by hopelessretard
I've literally done no revision for paper 3. I don't get any of this, because I was too busy focusing on paper 1/2

If I had a bigger skull then I would have more memory space, but because my skull is small, my brain memory is limited and can only store a small amount of information

I hate my small skull. My skull is minuscule and tiny, that's why I'm low-IQ.

Why did I have to stunt my growth and get a small skull, I hate my parents for not feeding me properly, then I would be smarter due to having a larger skull.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending