Edexcel A-level Statistics and Mechanics - 14th June 2019 [Exam Discussion] Watch

Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Edexcel A level Statistics and Mechanics
Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:
Date: 14th June
AM/PM:PM
Length:2h
Specification:https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...cification.pdf

Other Resources:
Formula Booklet: https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...mulae_Book.pdf
Sample Assessment Materials: https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...atics-sams.pdf
Maths Study Group (including many resources): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5747896
How to revise for the new specification: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...maths-new-spec
Maths Exam Thread Directory: To be added

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:
chickenhoe
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Guys honestly I haven't started statistics and I find it really hard.How do I study?
Maher1234
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I haven't started too, honestly, I had a mock today which was absolutely ****, but I needed that exam to push me to study for stats. The most effective way I found is looking at questions and whatever I don't know how to answer I use examsolutions.com to revisit the topic as they have videos of the topic and worked examples
(Original post by chickenhoe)
Guys honestly I haven't started statistics and I find it really hard.How do I study?
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There really is no trick to learning the content except cracking open a book or watching a video. Worked examples are fine once you've got the ball rolling, but foundational knowledge is essential, otherwise you may get confused when you come to doing questions by yourself. Examsolutions seems to be a popular site as above. Madasmaths is good for extension material if you want a challenge.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've done this for the other threads so I might as well do it here too...

Content mapping:

Spoiler:
Show

Statistics Year 1
  • Data collection and sampling - S3
  • Measures of location/spread - S1
  • Representation of data - S1
  • Correlation 1 - S1
  • Probability - S1
  • Binomial - S2
  • Binomial hypothesis testing - S2

Mechanics Year 1
  • Modelling - Should pervade questions. Look at eg. MEI papers if you feel Edexcel questions aren't contextual enough.
  • Constant acceleration - M1
  • Forces 1 - M1
  • Variable acceleration in 1D - M2

Statistics Year 2
  • Correlation 2 (PMCC etc.) - S3
  • Conditional probability - Technically S1. Harder questions can be found in S5 and OCR S4.
  • Normal distribution - S1 (probabilities) S2 (use as approximation) S3 (hypothesis testing)

Mechanics Year 2
  • Moments (horizontal/vertical forces only) - M1
  • Resolving forces/friction/inclined planes - M1
  • Projectiles - M2
  • Application of forces - M2
  • Variable acceleration in 2D - M2
yungblood
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do we need to know any other proofs for mechanics besides SUVAT? And for statistics, what do we have to know about the large data set?
Last edited by yungblood; 1 week ago
Ben-2000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yungblood)
Do we need to know any other proofs for mechanics besides SUVAT? And for statistics, what do we have to know about the large data set?
I don't think you need to know any proofs for mechanics? Just how the logic works

With stats, you aren't expected to remember the data itself but the key points of the data set. Such as what the units are, the months covered, why you can't draw yearly conclusions etc.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Xx_InZain_xX
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yungblood)
I think you need to be able to prove the SUVAT equations using a graph.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Xx_InZain_xX)
Yup. Using a graph or using calculus.
Ben-2000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Practice. Lots of it. There isn't really any other ways to get good at it, that's the trouble with maths
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Raucousnews
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If anyone is struggling with stats I cannot recommend the videos on statistics from a youtube channel called 'TLMaths' enough, here's one of his videos. Yesterday I couldn't do a thing with statistics as I hadn't thought about most of it in over a year but after watching some of his videos, I've gone through all the specimen papers for stats and haven't had a problem. Good luck!
Last edited by Raucousnews; 1 week ago
justsomeguy17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You also need to be able to derive the projectile motion formulae.
(Original post by Xx_InZain_xX)
Laser duck
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
This one better be a lot easier than paper 2 or I'm screwed
Mcgreggorrrrrrrr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Who’s relying on paper 3 to get them into uni
TinyTitan
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Mcgreggorrrrrrrr)
Who’s relying on paper 3 to get them into uni
yep
hoping Sheffield's quite lenient
I've managed to put all my eggs in one basket to the point that I might retake/do a foundation year/beg if I don't get my first choice grades
Munrhe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
does someone know the answer to this: of a string is cut and tension removed from an object on an inclined plane which is now decelerating down an inclined plane, thus a is negative. I made this q up so hope this works. I am really mostly interested in whether you deduct friction here still in this case, I presume so as it still moves opposite the main force. And whether you now include a with a negative value on the right side of F=ma as I am not sure how I get a negative on the left. Q: What is the F=ma if mg = 30g, a = -2m/s^2 and angle is 30 degrees and assuming friction coefficient is 0.2? I get sin30*30g = 15g as the force going down. Friction is 0.2*cos30*30g=3sqrt3g. Thus, 15-3sqrt3=9.8g but this is positive.
Notnek
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Some of my personal tips that have been put together from old M1/2 threads. I'll be adding stats tips and possibly more for mechanics today and tomorrow. I'll also be adding tips on how to revise for this paper in this thread. If anyone has any questions about any of these tips then please ask me.

Edexcel Mechanics Tips

Draw big clear diagrams in mechanics. If you’ve been drawing small diagrams since you started A Level mechanics then it will probably be hard to change but from experience, students who draw big diagrams make fewer mistakes when translating the diagram into algebra.

In general a force diagram should only show forces on a single object. So for a particle on a slope the force diagram should show forces acting on the particle and not forces acting on the slope. If there is more than one object that you need to consider then it’s often a good idea to draw a separate force diagram for each. For example, if you have a person in a lift then you don’t want to include the person’s weight and the force exerted by the person on the lift in the same diagram. It’s a better idea to draw separate force diagrams for the person and the lift (and also possibly the combined system of the person and the lift).

In a force diagram only show forces on the object that directly affect the object - it can be useful to imagine what the object "feels". E.g. you might have a particle connected to a string and the string is attached to the wall. Yes there are forces that act on the string at the wall but the particle doesn't care about these forces, all it cares about are the forces that it feels (the tension from the string in this case) so these should be the only forces shown on your diagram. Another example : if a mass is put on top of a rod and you are drawing a force diagram for the rod, don't include the upwards reaction of the rod on the mass. If you put this on your diagram then you may get confused when resolving or finding moments.

Learn the modelling conditions. Questions like : “How have you used the fact that the pulley is smooth?” are easy 1 markers if you learn them. Some key modelling conditions : uniform rod, smooth pulley, light pulley, inextensible string, light string, particle, neglecting air resistance.

The force that an object exerts on a surface is not necessarily equal to the objects weight. The earth exerts a force on an object and the object exerts a force on the surface but this is not a Newton’s third law pair so they may not have equal magnitudes. For example, a person accelerating downwards in a lift will exert a force on the lift that is less than the person’s weight (students often find this hard to understand). The force that the person exerts on a lift (and the vice-versa force) will often be unknown at the start of a lift question.

If connected particles are moving in the same direction then you can treat the whole system as a single particle with a combined mass. This means that you don’t need to consider the forces that interact between these masses e.g. reaction forces. But if you are asked to work out one of these interaction forces then you’ll need to return to looking at the particles individually.

Make sure you learn how to find the force exerted on a pulley by a string. Here's a great video that shows how to do this for the three main types of pulley problems.

Don’t always assume that the friction force satisfies . This will only be the case when a particle is stationary and in limiting equilibrium or is moving. It’s best to start with which is always true and then think about if you can also say . Remember that friction always acts to try to keep an object stationary so if you’re pulling an object horizontally with a force of 2N then the friction force will be 2N in the opposite direction. And this will continue to occur until the pulling force is greater than and when this happens the object will start to move.

Before you start a SUVAT question, make sure you label which direction you are taking as positive and stick to it throughout the question.

For moments questions, try to imagine the real life situation and always check that your answer makes sense. You may be able to get the general area of where you think an unknown force must be to maintain equilibrium for example. For more complicated problems with angles (e.g. ladder problems) it can be a good idea to get used to the two methods for calculating moments: 1) Directly multiply the force by the perp. distance of the line of action to the point, 2) First resolve the force into components. This will give you a choice in the exam so you can revert to a different method if you're struggling.

For vectors questions draw a diagram – so many students don’t. If you show the initial position of a particle and draw an arrow to show the velocity vector then the questions will often become much clearer.

In a vectors/kinematics question the direction of travel is given by the velocity vector not the displacement/position vector. E.g. if you have the position vector and are asked a question about the direction of travel then differentiate first to find the velocity vector.

For constant speed you can use speed = distance / time. For constant acceleration you can use SUVAT equations. For non-constant acceleration you must use calculus. Calculus can be used for any question but the SUVAT equations are there to make your life easier if the acceleration is constant.

Make sure you know how to derive all of the SUVAT equations. This is mentioned in the spec.

For variable acceleration questions where you are asked for distance and you have an equation for velocity, it's always best to sketch the velocity/time graph assuming it's a simple graph like a quadratic or cubic. If the curve goes above and below the axis then you may need to split the area like you're used to in pure maths integration questions.

Look out for the words "speed" and "distance". These are scalar quantities so if you have the velocity/displacement then this may not be the same as the speed/distance.

From the spec : "Derivation of formulae for time of flight, range and greatest height and the derivation of the equation of the path of a projectile may be required." Make sure you are confident with this!

Know the difference between tension and thrust.

Be aware that g is not a universal constant and it depends on location. Questions may specify values other than 9.8 so read the question carefully.
Last edited by Notnek; 5 days ago
euphoricat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Which papers are good for practice / closest to the actual exam? 2018, SAM, mock, CGP, ZigZag (Set A is really similar to the 2018 one), what else?
forgotten_one
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thanks for making this thread!
Notnek
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Here are some old spec stats/mechanics questions that I recommend having a go at. I chose them because they have a focus on modelling and/or they are hard, to prepare you for the difficulty of the new spec.

You can find the mark schemes if you search online. Physics and maths tutor contains links to all of these exams and mark schemes.

OCR MEI M1 June 2016 Q6

OCR MEI M2 June 2009 Q3

OCR MEI June 2011 S1 Q7

OCR MEI June 2012 S2 Q3

OCR MEI Jan 2012 M1 Q7

OCR MEI Jan 2006 S2 Q2

S2 IAL Jan 2015 Q7

M2 IAL Jan 2016 Q3

M2 IAL Jan 2016 Q6
Last edited by Notnek; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (286)
15.17%
The paper was reasonable (1045)
55.44%
Not feeling great about that exam... (409)
21.7%
It was TERRIBLE (145)
7.69%

Watched Threads