Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All I’ve been doing is questions in the text books
(Original post by bimball)
are there even many locked papers?
i'm doing FS1 and D1
anyone found any particularly useful revision resources or techniques?
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ahc1011)
How did you lot find the sample papers, I thought they were pretty easy
People seemed to find the Core Pure ones hard, but I thought the FS1/FP1 papers were very standard, would be happy if I got them as the final thing.

(Edit: I'm talking about the mock set, not the SAMs. The SAMs are imo far too easy compared to the other locked sets.)
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bimball)
are there even many locked papers?
i'm doing FS1 and D1
anyone found any particularly useful revision resources or techniques?
I think there's 2 sets.

I posted a content mapping for FS1 on the FS1 thread. Should make it easier to find questions for topics not on the old spec, for example probability generating functions. I can also make up tricky questions for this thread and the FS1(/FP1) one if people are up for that.
Sinnoh
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Urgent!! I’m self teaching further maths, does anyone have the locked mock papers ???
Not even the boss of Edexcel has them, because nobody has sat the new spec A-level further maths.
There are sample assessments that are publicly available, as well as two pure papers at the end of the textbook.
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Not even the boss of Edexcel has them, because nobody has sat the new spec A-level further maths.
There are sample assessments that are publicly available, as well as two pure papers at the end of the textbook.
They are talking about the mock and specimen papers here.
Ahc1011
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How did you find the papers in the textbook ?
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How did you find the papers in the textbook ?
Haven't done them but I think any practice is good. Some of the challenge questions I've found are quite good, though occasionally Pearson likes ruining them with a "hint". (when often the difficulty comes from figuring out how to start)
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
they've unlocked the edexcel 2018 papers

I think the main takeaway from the examiner reports is that you shouldn't rely on [Edexcel] past papers - a comment on practically every paper with new content was that people didn't know the new stuff or were unprepared for the change in style.

A highlight.
GreenDeath
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am worried about FP1 especially because of timing issues, especially when it comes to the real-world application style questions.
Notnek
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)
they've unlocked the edexcel 2018 papers

I think the main takeaway from the examiner reports is that you shouldn't rely on [Edexcel] past papers - a comment on practically every paper with new content was that people didn't know the new stuff or were unprepared for the change in style.

A highlight.
This is so important. Everyone’s complaining that the exams are so hard now but if I was doing the exams again then I’d see it as a great opportunity.

In the old spec everyone could prepare very well for the exam by trying all of the papers. For the new spec the majority of students won’t be prepared so students can gain an advantage by focusing on new spec questions as much as possible. I know that this is easier said than done with the lack of new spec papers.
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GreenDeath)
I am worried about FP1 especially because of timing issues, especially when it comes to the real-world application style questions.
speed comes with practice. inequality questions in FP1 are ones that are particularly easy to get out quickly, (they basically only come in two flavours) which buys time for the lengthier DEs/coord geo questions.
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Notnek)
This is so important. Everyone’s complaining that the exams are so hard now but if I was doing the exams again then I’d see it as a great opportunity.

In the old spec everyone could prepare very well for the exam by trying all of the papers. For the new spec the majority of students won’t be prepared so students can gain an advantage by focusing on new spec questions as much as possible. I know that this is easier said than done with the lack of new spec papers.
Totally agree and I foresee similar concerns being raised in the report for the 2019 series, particularly with unseen induction. I do unfortunately think with the old spec we've been mollycoddled a tad.

I feel like there's sufficient material out there for people to prepare well, (for example - realistic questions that could come up under "unseen induction" can be found in P6/legacy FP3, or from papers from other exam boards), but that too many people will just go through FP1-3 papers for practice. I'll happily collect appropriate legacy/other exam board questions and put them on the relevant threads.
username2427341
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My tsr maths teacher
Ahc1011
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t think the mocks were that hard, however I struggled with the area of a circle question in core pure 2, so if anyone has a written solution which would help! I’m self teaching btw
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Put together a few old spec induction questions that could come up under "unseen induction". That is not to say you'll get questions like this - that's not really my point, this is to get yourself comfortable with induction as a concept, which is somewhat lacking as you only learn how to do 3 specific types of proof + De Moivre's:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GT...mNwBlkOZHa8Qcs

If people are interested, I'll put together more for other papers/topics and make up a few different/extension questions too.
Lemur14
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Put together a few old spec induction questions that could come up under "unseen induction". That is not to say you'll get questions like this - that's not really my point, this is to get yourself comfortable with induction as a concept, which is somewhat lacking as you only learn how to do 3 specific types of proof + De Moivre's:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GT...mNwBlkOZHa8Qcs

If people are interested, I'll put together more for other papers/topics and make up a few different/extension questions too.
Always interested in anything you put together especially if it's not common on old spec since I feel like that makes them more likely to ask it
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
made another one on modelling with differential equations

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P4...QKX6Z_eCfg6cx6

feedback welcome, can always expand these
CandidateZero
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Excellent work here, and with the induction questions you posted earlier. May I ask if there are any ‘realistic’ roots of unity or volumes of revolution questions in the papers from which these questions have been taken? Thanks!
(Original post by _gcx)
made another one on modelling with differential equations

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P4...QKX6Z_eCfg6cx6

feedback welcome, can always expand these
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CandidateZero)
Excellent work here, and with the induction questions you posted earlier. May I ask if there are any ‘realistic’ roots of unity or volumes of revolution questions in the papers from which these questions have been taken? Thanks!
Yeah I can find some (and sums of series with complex numbers too if you're interested in that) Volumes of revolution used to be in single maths, so it might be a bit harder to find harder questions. (but since further can assume knowledge from single - it did appear every so often)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (352)
30.66%
The paper was reasonable (460)
40.07%
Not feeling great about that exam... (197)
17.16%
It was TERRIBLE (139)
12.11%

Watched Threads