Edexcel A-Level Core Pure 1 - 3rd June 2019 [Exam Discussion] Watch

_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CandidateZero)
Excellent work here, and with the induction questions you posted earlier. May I ask if there are any ‘realistic’ roots of unity or volumes of revolution questions in the papers from which these questions have been taken? Thanks!
is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vh...CnJPEI56oSF-8o
Notnek
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)

Do you have an index for all of these documents you make? They're really useful for FM students.
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Notnek)
Do you have an index for all of these documents you make? They're really useful for FM students.
Glad you think they're useful. They're all just sitting on my overleaf/google drive, not sure where to put them.
CandidateZero
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

These are great, thank you! May I ask where you source the P6 papers from?
(Original post by _gcx)

_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CandidateZero)
Hi,

These are great, thank you! May I ask where you source the P6 papers from?
the MEI P5 papers are from here: http://mei.org.uk/apapers. These also have examiner reports.

The Edexcel P6 papers for the induction questions are from here: https://freeexampapers.com/exam-pape...Maths/Edexcel/ but it's just a directory with sometimes unhelpful filenames so not that nice to navigate. Some of the years have examiner reports but others are missing.

There are also 20-30 induction questions from an old Edexcel P6 textbook I found in my school's library. (have scanned it) Many of which are not one of the three standard flavours of induction proofs. (trig sum proofs, inequalities, and so on)

The problem is that all of the resources are all over the place and it's not very convenient - I want to try to organise them so they're easy to navigate. (I'm also planning on making up my own questions for these sets. Did 2 for FS1 but none for pure)
timif1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)
the MEI P5 papers are from here: http://mei.org.uk/apapers. These also have examiner reports.

The Edexcel P6 papers for the induction questions are from here: https://freeexampapers.com/exam-pape...Maths/Edexcel/ but it's just a directory with sometimes unhelpful filenames so not that nice to navigate. Some of the years have examiner reports but others are missing.

There are also 20-30 induction questions from an old Edexcel P6 textbook I found in my school's library. (have scanned it) Many of which are not one of the three standard flavours of induction proofs. (trig sum proofs, inequalities, and so on)

The problem is that all of the resources are all over the place and it's not very convenient - I want to try to organise them so they're easy to navigate. (I'm also planning on making up my own questions for these sets. Did 2 for FS1 but none for pure)
Thanks for putting all these together and releasing. I think you mentioned earlier that you found the SAMs way easier than the mocks/locked? How so could you elaborate?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by timif1)
Thanks for putting all these together and releasing. I think you mentioned earlier that you found the SAMs way easier than the mocks/locked? How so could you elaborate?
There's still many more to come even for the topics I've already posted! (didn't want to post loads find out people weren't interested )

It was just a general feeling for SAMs. May have been just me but they did not feel much different to old spec questions.
Taran4u
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)
There's still many more to come even for the topics I've already posted! (didn't want to post loads find out people weren't interested )

It was just a general feeling for SAMs. May have been just me but they did not feel much different to old spec questions.
Your resources are actually so helpful, thanks a lot! Also, I agree with you there. The SAMs were much easier than even the textbook questions, in my opinion. The locked mocks are much more difficult than them no doubt.
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Taran4u)
Your resources are actually so helpful, thanks a lot! Also, I agree with you there. The SAMs were much easier than even the textbook questions, in my opinion. The locked mocks are much more difficult than them no doubt.
Thanks. It's lucky (or unlucky for the prepared if you're being cynical) they put an unseen induction question on the mock paper, otherwise people would be throwing at least 6 marks out unnecessarily. Though I don't doubt, if there is a similar question on the real thing, that a lot of people will struggle anyway; because the textbook gives the impression that only three types are examined, and you can just learn the procedure for each. Similar thing applies for invariant lines - I have no idea why that is completely absent from the textbook despite being a point on the spec.
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
New matrices stuff (solving sim equations and invariant lines/points)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14T...T4ZMsLm7h4lpbE

May write up solutions to the induction set. Will include the mark schemes and examiner reports (where applicable) and some commentary. Any other ideas?
Ahc1011
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi thanks for this, is there markschemes?
(Original post by _gcx)

May write up solutions to the induction set. Will include the mark schemes and examiner reports (where applicable) and some commentary. Any other ideas?
Notnek
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)

Excellent resources again.

Maybe further integration like improper integrals / mean value of a function? Stuff that wasn't in old spec.
James 9
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the great practice,you got any contextual/hard vectors questions? since the old spec ones seem pretty routine.

Thanks again
(Original post by _gcx)

_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ahc1011)
Yup, every single question on these sheets that's from past papers has a markscheme and most of them have an examiner report. I was planning to link to them in a solutions document I'd make later. I'll still do that but I'll add a link next to the source bit on the sheet itself too, and update all of them in a moment
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ahc1011)
I have updated the matrices pdf to include them
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Notnek)
Excellent resources again.

Maybe further integration like improper integrals / mean value of a function? Stuff that wasn't in old spec.
I have plenty of ideas for integral questions. Not sure how to make a challenging question around mean value though. (thinking maybe a mechanics-y question with something about mean velocity) AQA FP1 might do it but the integration there is C1/C2 afaik.
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by James 9)
Thanks for the great practice,you got any contextual/hard vectors questions? since the old spec ones seem pretty routine.

Thanks again
Yeah I noticed that too - I've tried to make it so these sets have some hard questions in them. (some of them being the worst answered questions in their respective papers, for example q4 in that matrices set) I'll try to find some, and failing that make up some.
timif1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)

So are all these things that are likely to come up in the exam?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by timif1)
So are all these things that are likely to come up in the exam?
None of these questions are too far fetched in terms of difficulty (Notnek would probably be the best to comment on that), and they are all on spec. I might post extension questions in the future that leave the realms of what you'd realistically be asked slightly. Do remember that with the new spec there are "unseen" questions too, though I've only seen one outside of induction. (a matrices question on the AS specimen that involved a recurrence relation)
number0
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Summary of content mapping:
Spoiler:
Show

C4

• Equations of lines in 3D
  • Scalar product
  • Volumes of revolution
  • Integrate with partial fractions
FP1
  • Arithmetic with complex numbers, mod-arg
  • Sums of finite series
  • Matrix algebra - 2 \times 2
  • Linear transformations
  • Proof by induction (series, divisibility, matrices, though this can be extended to unseen cases)
FP2
  • Complex loci
  • De Moivre's Theorem
  • Method of differences
  • Maclaurin series
  • Polar coordinates
  • Differential Equations
FP3
  • Matrix algebra - 3 \times 3
  • Equations of planes
  • Intersection between lines and planes.
  • Perpendicular distance between line and point, line and line, line and plane.
  • Differentiating inverse trigonometric functions
  • Integrating with inverse trigonometric functions
  • Hyperbolic functions

New
  • Roots of polynomials - IAL F1, OCR FP1, CIE Paper 1
  • Invariant points and lines - AQA FP4
  • Intersection of planes with matrices - AQA FP4, CIE Paper 1
  • Sums of complex numbers - MEI FP2
  • Geometry with complex numbers - MEI FP2
  • Improper integrals - AQA FP1
  • Mean value of functions
  • Modelling with differential equations
  • Paired first-order differential equations - MEI Differential Equations
I remember looking through different specs and OCR FP3 also has sums of complex numbers, also it has like the only group theory i could find for anyone taking fp2 this year ( actually OCR MEI has some also)
Last edited by number0; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (348)
30.66%
The paper was reasonable (454)
40%
Not feeling great about that exam... (196)
17.27%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
12.07%

Watched Threads