Edexcel A-Level Core Pure 1 - 3rd June 2019 [Exam Discussion] Watch

_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by number0)
I remember looking through different specs and OCR FP3 also has sums of complex numbers, also it has like the only group theory i could find for anyone taking fp2 this year ( actually OCR MEI has some also)
Haven't seen those, I'll add it to the post.
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Before I go to bed, sum of series with complex numbers. Question 5 I picked out because it looks particularly scary on first sight.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1du..._YDXaW0eR5QXdg
number0
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Before I go to bed, sum of series with complex numbers. Question 5 I picked out because it looks particularly scary on first sight.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1du..._YDXaW0eR5QXdg
Great questions again, its so nice of you to do all this, I could never be bothered to create all these.

For question 5 should it be consider the sum from 0 to n-1 instead of 0 to n? It seems like it just added an unnecessary step but I could defo be wrong.
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Great questions again, its so nice of you to do all this, I could never be bothered to create all these.

For question 5 should it be consider the sum from 0 to n-1 instead of 0 to n? It seems like it just added an unnecessary step but I could defo be wrong.
It just makes the RHS of each a little bit nicer, (having ns instead of n + 1s) so I don't think changing it would materially alter the question.
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thrown all of my packs on blogspot

https://unremarkablemathsblog.blogsp...ion-packs.html

Suggestions welcome as always, and do let me know if I'm being a pain spamming this thread with these :^)
Taran4u
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You really are not, these are absolutely amazing. I just keep wanting more when I'm done with each one of them hahaha. Much appreciated, keep em coming!
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Taran4u)
You really are not, these are absolutely amazing. I just keep wanting more when I'm done with each one of them hahaha. Much appreciated, keep em coming!
Thanks! I've added markschemes and the examiner reports I can find to all of the sheets now. Let me know if any of them aren't hyperlinked properly. (if they link to the wrong thing or wrong page)
thotproduct2
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Thanks! I've added markschemes and the examiner reports I can find to all of the sheets now. Let me know if any of them aren't hyperlinked properly. (if they link to the wrong thing or wrong page)
Not sure if its just me but the sum of series of complex numbers seems to link to the complex loci sheet
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thotproduct2)
Not sure if its just me but the sum of series of complex numbers seems to link to the complex loci sheet
I think I overwrote the wrong one by accident when I updated the complex loci sheet.

Corrected this and both should display the latest version.
sivthasan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You absolute legend!! Thank you so much!
(Original post by _gcx)
Thrown all of my packs on blogspot

https://unremarkablemathsblog.blogsp...ion-packs.html

Suggestions welcome as always, and do let me know if I'm being a pain spamming this thread with these :^)
Ahc1011
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How’s everyone revising for this exam aside from textbook questions ?
Lemur14
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ahc1011)
How’s everyone revising for this exam aside from textbook questions ?
We haven't done any of the Edexcel papers up until recently so currently doing some of those. Madasmaths papers and crashMATHS are on the list to do also though.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
kayla k
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
RE matrices & linear transformations : anybody have any idea if you are required to know rotations that arent centred around the origin? ie using the matrix (cosX, -sinX)
(sinX cosX)
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by kayla k)
RE matrices & linear transformations : anybody have any idea if you are required to know rotations that arent centred around the origin? ie using the matrix (cosX, -sinX)
(sinX cosX)
Rotations about points that aren't the origin are not linear transformations because the origin isn't fixed under them. What you could do to, for example, rotate (1,1) 45 degrees about the point (1,0), you could shift everything to the left one unit so you're rotating (0,1) 45 degrees about the origin. Once you've got this rotated point, you can shift it to the right one unit to get the point you wanted originally. Similar can be done with reflecting through lines that don't pass through the origin.

As to whether it's required - I don't think it's beyond what they could ask but that's just speculation.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 week ago
DeBrevitateVitae
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello I've asked this on the maths forum but not really got many replies. If you have a plane with normal (n1, n2, n3) and are given its distance from some point with coordinates, say, (x, y, z), where x varies, then of course there's two possible values for x depending on whether the parallel plane through that point is closer to or further away from the origin. But using the distance formula is a bit difficult because you have to be careful whether the two planes lie on the same side of the origin, right? i.e. the sign of your k in r.n = k has to be the same as the sign of (x, y, z).(n1, n2, n3) if the distance between the planes is smaller than the distance from just one of the planes to the origin. Because I originally thought you could just do |xn1+yn2+zn3(+-)d|/|n| and it turned out to be wrong
(ps if that doesn't make sense i apologise cus I suck at describing especially with friking vectors)
also i don't get why there's 2 threads for core pure 1 and 2, given that the content for both is the same lol
Last edited by DeBrevitateVitae; 1 week ago
GreenDeath
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey can someone link me the threads for core 2, FP1 and FM1 please I find it diffcult to find them.
number0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DeBrevitateVitae)
Hello I've asked this on the maths forum but not really got many replies. If you have a plane with normal (n1, n2, n3) and are given its distance from some point with coordinates, say, (x, y, z), where x varies, then of course there's two possible values for x depending on whether the parallel plane through that point is closer to or further away from the origin. But using the distance formula is a bit difficult because you have to be careful whether the two planes lie on the same side of the origin, right? i.e. the sign of your k in r.n = k has to be the same as the sign of (x, y, z).(n1, n2, n3) if the distance between the planes is smaller than the distance from just one of the planes to the origin. Because I originally thought you could just do |xn1+yn2+zn3(+-)d|/|n| and it turned out to be wrong
(ps if that doesn't make sense i apologise cus I suck at describing especially with friking vectors)
also i don't get why there's 2 threads for core pure 1 and 2, given that the content for both is the same lol
maybe send the question so we can have a go and try understand?
DeBrevitateVitae
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5952664
maybe send the question so we can have a go and try understand?
DeBrevitateVitae
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you so much for these questions, they're just what I need! Have you got the solutions to the ones without mark schemes?
(Original post by _gcx)
DeBrevitateVitae
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by GreenDeath)
Hey can someone link me the threads for core 2, FP1 and FM1 please I find it diffcult to find them.
All the threads are here
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5827730
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.47%
The paper was reasonable (391)
46%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.47%
It was TERRIBLE (111)
13.06%

Watched Threads