The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Further Mechanics 1 - 20th June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Edexcel A level Further Mechanics 1

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:
Date: 20th June
AM/PM:AM
Length:1h30
Specification:https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-further-mathematics-specification.pdf

Other Resources:
Formula Booklet: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/Pearson_Edexcel_A_Level_GCE_in_Mathematics_Formulae_Book.pdf
Sample Assessment Materials: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-further-mathematics-sams.pdf
Maths Study Group (including many resources): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5747896
How to revise for the new specification: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/exams/how-to-revise-a-level-maths-new-spec
Maths Exam Thread Directory: To be added

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:

Scroll to see replies

Summary of content mapping:

Spoiler

Reply 2
So how is everyone preparing?
Reply 3
reading textbook, doing examples, challenge questions, then will start old spec exam papers
what about you
Original post by Taran4u
So how is everyone preparing?
Reply 4
looking back, the textbooks were completely useless for the core papers, nothing like the exam. how are you guys gonna go about revising for fm1 (and 2 if ur doing it)? also does anyone have access to any of the specimen papers that havent been released yet? (for fm1/2 d1 or reg maths stats/mech, pure)
Reply 5
I'd disagree with that tbh, the pure paper exam questions at the back were very similar to what came up in the exam. Particularly if you look at the simultaneous differentials question its almost identical to the one in paper 1. Although i do get your point with fm1 as the textbook questions are very simple compared to the spec paper etc.
Original post by boi_
looking back, the textbooks were completely useless for the core papers, nothing like the exam. how are you guys gonna go about revising for fm1 (and 2 if ur doing it)? also does anyone have access to any of the specimen papers that havent been released yet? (for fm1/2 d1 or reg maths stats/mech, pure)
The exam style practice was almost identical to the real papers (it even had 2 differentials over two papers), and all the other questions were in the review exercises, just with different numbers. There are 4 specimen papers for both fm1 and d1.
Original post by boi_
Reply 7
Has your school subscribed to the AMSP (Advanced Mathematics Support Project)? It provides access to Integral support videos and via your teacher to a full set of further mechanics worksheets and answers. I subscribed for my school and have printed these all off for my FM students.

Access is free for the school; it just needs a teacher to register and then he/she can provide you with a student login. But the papers and tests are only visible to teachers, so you'll have to ask for copies of them either on paper or electronically. It's a great way to access Integral resources without the school having to pay for them. It only gives access to single maths applied and to all further maths modules.
Original post by boi_
Reply 8
Does anyone know if pulleys are part of the spec?
Reply 9
4?
There is 1 specimen set, 1 mock set, and 1 sample assessment set. Are you counting the exam style practice at the end of the textbooks as well?
Original post by Andrejcouture27
The exam style practice was almost identical to the real papers (it even had 2 differentials over two papers), and all the other questions were in the review exercises, just with different numbers. There are 4 specimen papers for both fm1 and d1.
There are 4 practice papers(similar to the two release for core). There is also the specimen and the ones in the book mate.
Original post by Taran4u
4?
There is 1 specimen set, 1 mock set, and 1 sample assessment set. Are you counting the exam style practice at the end of the textbooks as well?
4 practice papers? Those questions have been taken from past paper questions. They don't count.
Original post by Andrejcouture27
There are 4 practice papers(similar to the two release for core). There is also the specimen and the ones in the book mate.
Reply 12
is it the same content on both fm1 and fm2 like core pure 1 and core pure 2?
Lol, no. M2 has centres of mass, kinematics and circular motion. M1 is just random stuff.
Original post by mmonk
Reply 14
will a2 students who are doing fm1 be doing the same exam as as students who are doing fm1?
Original post by Taran4u
Lol, no. M2 has centres of mass, kinematics and circular motion. M1 is just random stuff.
You don't make sense, man.
Original post by mmonk
will a2 students who are doing fm1 be doing the same exam as as students who are doing fm1?
Reply 16
i am doing both the fm1 and fm2 exams,
i was wondering if i need to know the content of fm2 for the fm1 exam and vice versa?
as this was the case for the core pure exams.

Additionally dont AS students do applied modules as well,
so will our fm1 exam be the same as theirs or will theirs be easier etc, btw have they done their mechanics exam yet?
thanks
Original post by Taran4u
You don't make sense, man.
How did you find the first two core Pure exams? What mark you going for in them and how are you finding FM1 prep?
Original post by mmonk
Reply 18
the core pure exams were ok, hope to achieve top grades, fm1 seems straightforward enough,
what about you?
Original post by AkinedGuys
How did you find the first two core Pure exams? What mark you going for in them and how are you finding FM1 prep?
You are doing fm2 as well? And you don't even know the content of fm2? Have you not covered the whole module? Damn, that is either badass or stupid.
And no, you do not need to know fm2 content for fm1. They are separate modules, but you do need to know fm1 content for fm2. So why don't you know what fm2 actually is, especially since the exam is 2 weeks from now? Do you do other modules? Lol
And the AS people only do the AS content of each of the modules (duh) and the A2 ppl do the whole module.
Original post by mmonk
i am doing both the fm1 and fm2 exams,
i was wondering if i need to know the content of fm2 for the fm1 exam and vice versa?
as this was the case for the core pure exams.

Additionally dont AS students do applied modules as well,
so will our fm1 exam be the same as theirs or will theirs be easier etc, btw have they done their mechanics exam yet?
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest