The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Further Decision 2 - 25th June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

That was harder than D1, for sure.
I completely messed up the last question!
The probability of winning is 3/16 but I miscounted it as 3/15 = 1/5. I had trouble with the last part of this question as well, so I've dropped a lot of marks here. I dropped 4 marks on the flows as well, why even teach the labelling method so extensively if the question is going to tell us in bold to not use it lol

Apart from that, the rest was fine
Reply 41
I'm slightly concerned because I know I have dropped a max of 4 marks on 5, 4 and I have no idea how many on question 7. I hope that doesn't bring me down badly.
Reply 42
Much harder than D1!

Pretty sure the probability for the last Q was 10/216?
I think it's 3/16
16 numbers can be generated by rolling 3 die because 1 and 2 can't (no 0 value) but every other number should have equal chance of being generated. 3 out of those 16 numbers would give the prize.
Reply 44
Don't think every number has equal chance - for example 6,6,6 is the only way to make 18. But 16 can be made with 5,5,6 or 5,6,5 or 6,55 or 4,6,6 or 6,4,6 or 6,6,4 = 6.
Original post by Spookyayu
I think it's 3/16
16 numbers can be generated by rolling 3 die because 1 and 2 can't (no 0 value) but every other number should have equal chance of being generated. 3 out of those 16 numbers would give the prize.
Original post by Schnoop
Don't think every number has equal chance - for example 6,6,6 is the only way to make 18. But 16 can be made with 5,5,6 or 5,6,5 or 6,55 or 4,6,6 or 6,4,6 or 6,6,4 = 6.

Ah I guess that's right, I have no idea how to work out the correct probabilities for the winning combinations
Reply 46
Yeh I think if you scale it up to the number of people doing it this year there's about 60 of us?
Original post by Memecon
Not many people do this exam, my teacher said only 18 people did it last year. As far as I know we could be the only people that have actually done it
Reply 47
7 from ours
Original post by Schnoop
That's so few wow! 4 from my school as well
Reply 48
Honestly I knew my working for question 7 was wrong because I got some ridiculous probabilities like 1/132 and 131/132. I really had no idea what to do on that question.

Ah well. Hopefully I'll still get marks for drawing the tree and working.
6 from our school (their biggest further maths class ever)
Original post by l_bland3
My teacher told my class that only 21 people are taking it this year- 4 from my school
What do you think the grade boundaries will be seeing that only 21 of us took it?
Reply 51
I had a look at the previous boundaries last year. For an A it was 61 I believe. But since it's a new spec they might bring it down slightly. Really it just depends how everyone did overall.
Original post by miacat21
What do you think the grade boundaries will be seeing that only 21 of us took it?
I didn't do very well. Probably in the range of 65 +-2 marks. If most people here post what they think they got, we can calculate realistic grade boundaries (top 30% A star, next 30% A and so on), and if we have like half the total test-takers, then that's a good sample.
Reply 53
Well I know I dropped 9 marks minimum from other questions, and probably lost a lot more (maybe 4-5) from Question 7. So I'll probably say I got a max of 60 if I'm being honest with myself.
I saw some comments regarding the game theory optimisation for player B by the way. The way you solve that is transpose the matrix to change the point of view to player B then you can use dominance arguments to make it a 2x2 game (also because the simplex algorithm gave p2 = 0 so player A only has 2 choices), and use the graphical method + simul equation to solve. A lot of work for 4 marks if I'm honest.
Reply 55
I tried to use dominance but don't think it worked - if that's is the case then I'm just silly and didn't see it lol
I saw some comments regarding the game theory optimisation for player B by the way. The way you solve that is transpose the matrix to change the point of view to player B then you can use dominance arguments to make it a 2x2 game (also because the simplex algorithm gave p2 = 0 so player A only has 2 choices), and use the graphical method + simul equation to solve. A lot of work for 4 marks if I'm honest.
Reply 56
I couldn't find a dominance argument for B either.
Original post by Schnoop
I tried to use dominance but don't think it worked - if that's is the case then I'm just silly and didn't see it lol
there was definitely a dominance for B, unless I am misremembering it badly. There is no other way to solve it that we know of.
Reply 58
Do you remember which column you used for dominance arguments? It might have been something I just missed, which would be annoying.
there was definitely a dominance for B, unless I am misremembering it badly. There is no other way to solve it that we know of.
Original post by Memecon
Do you remember which column you used for dominance arguments? It might have been something I just missed, which would be annoying.

it was the bottom row, pretty sure (I converted the game for B's point of view using matrix transposition)

Quick Reply

Latest