The Student Room Group

Should I change instructor? 100 lessons, failed test.

Hi,

I’m wondering if it would be beneficial or not to change instructors at this point?

I’ve been learning for over 9 months and taken about 100 lessons. I’ve sat my test and failed.

I don’t blame my instructor i should have been able to do it, although it covered topics I wasn’t comfortable in and had had little practice on it.

The reason I’m thinking about switching is because he is often on the phone when we go driving (sometimes 5 mins sometimes 15), sometimes he is late, sometimes he doesn’t show up without warning, sometimes do errands to pick things up in town for him. I don’t think I’ve ever felt confident with him and usually just walk away thinking ‘well he didn’t complain this lesson so I must’ve been fine’. I’ve had issues with it but I persevered to my test and thought I’ll get by it.
Now that I need more lessons, I wonder if it would benefit me going else where for extra judgement, maybe even a confidence boost and a check that I’m definitely test level.

Do you think it would hold me back switching at this stage if I hope to book another test next month (providing instructor agrees I’m ready). Would learning a new car and a new instructor be difficult and be one step forward two back?

He has lots other pupils who have passed with him, so i feel what he’s taught me must be fine. It’s just a bit of a change on principal that he’s a bit neglectful.
(edited 5 years ago)
I would recommend switching. My previous instructor would belittle me and tell me I was incapable of driving and couldn’t pass my test. I booked it and switched driving insitructors. My new instructor said I was test ready but gave me a couple of lessons to work on my confidence and I then went and passed. I think a change could help boost your confidence ready to have another go
Switch. Hes on the phone which is 100% unsafe - if he can't be safe how can he teach you to be? Plus you're wasting time when he no shows or is late. If you aren't confident after 100 hours I don't think the problem is you.
SWITCH. 100 hours and still no license? Spend that money on a different instructor! Your instructor should never be on his phone whilst you're driving - it's unsafe and super unprofessional! Although I already have a full license, I never thought and I never will think that it's a great idea to use my phone whilst driving.

When I failed 3 times, I decided to have some extra lessons with a different instructor in a completely new area to test myself... I just couldn't believe that I'm a horrible driver and I was super keen to learn and pass asap. Turned out I was exiting roundabouts (on last exit) completely wrong which explained why I failed previously on my exams - everything else was fine. After 1 lesson with my new instructor, I never made any mistakes on a roundabout. I never blamed my instructor for my fails, he never belittled me and I never felt angry or sad after my lessons, but it's always a good idea to have a few extra lessons with someone else if you have doubts about your driving. Depends where you live and if you're learning in automatic or manual, but 100 hours is around 2,500 pounds... think about it.
It's illegal for your instructor to be on the phone while teaching you, someone teaching a learner is technically in charge of the vehicle so shouldn't be distracted. 100 hours is a hell of a lot of hours, get a new instructor I say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending