Nike thinks sports hate women

Watch
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Nike has released a new advert, narrated by Serena Williams, targeting women with the message to take being called crazy as a challenge to achieve it. This is in line with their earlier, more inclusive advert focusing on Colin Kaepernick. However, there's a bit more to the Serena advert.

It starts with videos of our Laura Trott (as she was known then) crying, with the implication that she was shamed for showing her emotions. I for one don't recall her ever being portrayed in a negative light, let alone for being overcome with emotion after her many Olympic victories. It follows with a few other examples of athletes who Serena/Nike allege to be opposed because they are women. I think (from the gist of the video) there's a little girl who wants to play American football with men when she grows up which is obviously stupid, and they even include Caster Semenya as if her abnormally high levels of testosterone didn't make her 'too good'.

Now, obviously they weren't going to use footage of Serena threatening to kill a (female) line judge by ramming a tennis ball down her throat, but are Nike/Serena making fake hurdles for women to overcome? (With the implication being that Nike products are the only way to overcome these additional hurdles)

Is this good or bad for women's sports? On one hand it injects some aggression and determination into someone, but on the other, it has provided many reasons to quit. Not everyone can be the GOAT, and many will accept that by having more modest goals whilst still training and keeping healthy, but the advert has just claimed/implied that there are many things that women will be judged unfavourably for doing as well - is this not a deterrent?
Just my opinion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"It starts with videos of our Laura Trott (as she was known then) crying, with the implication that she was shamed for showing her emotions."

Never mind showing her emotions, I wonder what Nike make of Paula Radcliffe showing her arse and having a crap in the street 😁
Being woke I would have thought they would have used this as an example because Paula got a lot more shaming than Laura.

Having said that im sure if a male marathon runner took a dump in the street in front of all the cameras he would have been shamed too.
Last edited by Just my opinion; 2 years ago
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well people hate serena Williams for no reason. She’s amazingly talented
looloo2134
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think the top sport people like Willians are paid to much that why people dislike her and other top sports people
(Original post by Rainfall)
Well people hate serena Williams for no reason. She’s amazingly talented
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
I think the top sport people like Willians are paid to much that why people dislike her and other top sports people
No I only see her
looloo2134
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Top footballers had to have security their cars checked for bombs after football matches all famous sports people have haters
(Original post by Rainfall)
No I only see her
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's not sports, it's the way sports is reported
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
Top footballers had to have security their cars checked for bombs after football matches all famous sports people have haters
No I only see serena everywhere and that footballer called Raheem
ThomH97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Just my opinion)
"It starts with videos of our Laura Trott (as she was known then) crying, with the implication that she was shamed for showing her emotions."

Never mind showing her emotions, I wonder what Nike make of Paula Radcliffe showing her arse and having a crap in the street 😁
Being woke I would have thought they would have used this as an example because Paula got a lot more shaming than Laura.

Having said that im sure if a male marathon runner took a dump in the street in front of all the cameras he would have been shamed too.
Indeed, I think they have deliberately chosen misrepresentative (and false?) examples and tried to pass them off as being representative.
(Original post by Drewski)
It's not sports, it's the way sports is reported
But is it reported the way Nike/Serena are claiming?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
But is it reported the way Nike/Serena are claiming?
Yes.

It doesn't take much digging to find it.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Yes.

It doesn't take much digging to find it.
You'd certainly have to dig for it.

Regarding Laura Trott, if she is called dramatic it is in a positive way (i.e. the race was worth watching). I can't find anything saying Sam Gordon wants to play against men (she actually helped set up a female league, and wants to transition to 'soccer'), let alone that she's 'nuts' (though it would be, the testosterone advantage is a lot greater in grown men than in the boys she's been playing against). If there really isn't much digging needed, perhaps you can find where the USA women's football team have been called delusional for dreaming of equal opportunity, and the other sexist examples that Nike/Serena claim exist.

Of course, you'd then have to ignore the examples of men losing their cool and being criticised or even docked points as is the norm in Serena's sport. What was certainly crazy was for Serena to smash up her racket and verbally abuse the umpire repeatedly, but think that the sanctions given to her were sexist.
oxscow
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thinking back to her tantrum at the New York Open a while back, I think she just went into a Nike office as said "you don't like me because I'm a mother and that's why you don't give me money you hate me..." and they gave her this ad to make her go away.
looloo2134
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Your problem right the tantrum at the New York Open would give Nike a bad name because of her poor sportsmanship.
(Original post by oxscow)
Thinking back to her tantrum at the New York Open a while back, I think she just went into a Nike office as said "you don't like me because I'm a mother and that's why you don't give me money you hate me..." and they gave her this ad to make her go away.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (338)
83.66%
No (66)
16.34%

Watched Threads