The Student Room Group

What happens if I stop uni becuase of schedule conflict?

If I study Nursing and apply for Student Loan and Migrant Worker Maintenance Loan and don't finish the First year because of exhaustion and can't really find time to satisfy the work requirement for the MW Maintenance Loan, what happens next?

Will I be able to apply again for loans next time when I can finally apply for Student Loan and Maintenance Loan as a home student (after 5 years of living here)?

Is it a risk worth taking? Or should I just wait it out till I can qualify for Maintenance Loan as home student and not a migrant worker?

Thanks for any input..
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
bump
Original post by a0f83w
If I study Nursing and apply for Student Loan and Migrant Worker Maintenance Loan and don't finish the First year because of exhaustion and can't really find time to satisfy the work requirement for the MW Maintenance Loan, what happens next?

Will I be able to apply again for loans next time when I can finally apply for Student Loan and Maintenance Loan as a home student (after 5 years of living here)?

Is it a risk worth taking? Or should I just wait it out till I can qualify for Maintenance Loan as home student and not a migrant worker?

Thanks for any input..

Hi there,

If you don't complete the first year then you would likely need to resit it. You would need to be continuously employed throughout your studies to continue to be eligible for Maintenance Loan as a migrant worker. If you ceased employment at any time during your studies you would no longer be eligible for the Maintenance Loan.

So we can confirm your eligibility to apply as home student can you confirm your nationality?

Thanks, Andy
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Andrew
Hi there,

If you don't complete the first year then you would likely need to resit it. You would need to be continuously employed throughout your studies to continue to be eligible for Maintenance Loan as a migrant worker. If you ceased employment at any time during your studies you would no longer be eligible for the Maintenance Loan.

So we can confirm your eligibility to apply as home student can you confirm your nationality?

Thanks, Andy

What if you don't necessarily quit the job, just dont make enough hours and some absences, but still employed?

Will I still qualify for loans next time?

I am from the EU.

Thanks for any clarifications!
Original post by a0f83w
What if you don't necessarily quit the job, just dont make enough hours and some absences, but still employed?

Will I still qualify for loans next time?

I am from the EU.

Thanks for any clarifications!

Hi there,

You can reduce your hours and still be eligible as a migrant worker however, you need still need to be earning at an acceptable level. There is not set amount but it needs to be considered to be enough to live off of.

As an EU national if you wish to apply for home student funding not as a migrant worker you need to have 5 years residency in the UK immediately prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course.

Thanks, Andy
Reply 6
Hi there,

You can reduce your hours and still be eligible as a migrant worker however, you need still need to be earning at an acceptable level. There is not set amount but it needs to be considered to be enough to live off of.

As an EU national if you wish to apply for home student funding not as a migrant worker you need to have 5 years residency in the UK immediately prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course.

Thanks, Andy

Hello Mr. Andy,

What I wanna know is, if I really can't meet even the minimum hours of work, like I am not earning enough and then i drop out. My question is: If I apply next time as a home student, will i still be able to get both the student loan and maintenance loan?

thanks!
Original post by a0f83w
Hello Mr. Andy,

What I wanna know is, if I really can't meet even the minimum hours of work, like I am not earning enough and then i drop out. My question is: If I apply next time as a home student, will i still be able to get both the student loan and maintenance loan?

thanks!

Hi there,

If you drop out of the course and return again, as long as you are working when you return you will be able to apply for the home student funding.

Thanks, Andy
Reply 8
Hi there,

If you drop out of the course and return again, as long as you are working when you return you will be able to apply for the home student funding.

Thanks, Andy

Employment is still a requirement even if you are applying as a home student? I mean let's say I drop out because I really can't manage to study and work at the same time, and just wait out till I am 5 years living in the UK, so then I apply again for student loan and maintenance loan, not as a migrant worker. I still have to be employed to qualify for funding?
Original post by a0f83w
Employment is still a requirement even if you are applying as a home student? I mean let's say I drop out because I really can't manage to study and work at the same time, and just wait out till I am 5 years living in the UK, so then I apply again for student loan and maintenance loan, not as a migrant worker. I still have to be employed to qualify for funding?

Hi there,

If you withdraw from the course, and then begin a new course and hold the 5 years residency you won't need to be employed to get the home student funding.

Thanks, Andy
Reply 10
Hi there,

If you withdraw from the course, and then begin a new course and hold the 5 years residency you won't need to be employed to get the home student funding.

Thanks, Andy

Ok, so my withdrawal will not affect my future application for funding? That's what I want to know.

I still want to try this year to study nursing and work, but afraid that if I can't manage the workload both uni and work, that I might have to drop out.

If this happen, I can still resume my studies as a home student and not worry about working requirement for my loan?

Can you tell me the minimum hours I have to work to qualify for Migrant Worker Maintenance Allowance?

Thanks!
Original post by a0f83w
Ok, so my withdrawal will not affect my future application for funding? That's what I want to know.

I still want to try this year to study nursing and work, but afraid that if I can't manage the workload both uni and work, that I might have to drop out.

If this happen, I can still resume my studies as a home student and not worry about working requirement for my loan?

Can you tell me the minimum hours I have to work to qualify for Migrant Worker Maintenance Allowance?

Thanks!

Hi there,

If you withdraw from your current course and begin from year one again then you would be classed as a new student. This means if you have five years residency when you go to start again as Andy mentioned above you don't need to be working to be eligible for a Maintenance Loan.

Would you be starting your course from year one again after your withdrawal?

We don't have a minimum amount of hours you need to work, it needs to be enough to be self supporting yourself.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 12
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi there,

If you withdraw from your current course and begin from year one again then you would be classed as a new student. This means if you have five years residency when you go to start again as Andy mentioned above you don't need to be working to be eligible for a Maintenance Loan.

Would you be starting your course from year one again after your withdrawal?

We don't have a minimum amount of hours you need to work, it needs to be enough to be self supporting yourself.

Thanks, Erin

As a migrant worker, what can a maintenance loan help me pay? Rent is my biggest challenge as I pay at least £500 for a room. Then there's food, uni expenses cost.. etc. What exactly does the maintenance loan cover?

I guess if I drop out, that means I have to start from square one?

thanks, Aof
Original post by a0f83w
As a migrant worker, what can a maintenance loan help me pay? Rent is my biggest challenge as I pay at least £500 for a room. Then there's food, uni expenses cost.. etc. What exactly does the maintenance loan cover?

I guess if I drop out, that means I have to start from square one?

thanks, Aof

Hi there,

We provide a Maintenance Loan to help with living costs and this is down to the student whether they use this for accommodation or living expenses.

If you drop out then yes you would need to start from the beginning as a new student.

Thanks, Erin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending