Can I do an Engineering Apprenticeship after a foundation year in Engineering?

Watch this thread
craftywizardboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Okay I'm in a bit of a conundrum at the moment. I'm in my final year of college finishing off a BTec in Applied Science. I've done a 30 Credit module in Engineering and a 10 Credit module in Mathematics with the Open University, however, a lot of the Apprenticeships require a BTec in Engineering. Is it possible to do a foundation year in Engineering and then apply for a Degree Apprenticeship?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by craftywizardboy)
Okay I'm in a bit of a conundrum at the moment. I'm in my final year of college finishing off a BTec in Applied Science. I've done a 30 Credit module in Engineering and a 10 Credit module in Mathematics with the Open University, however, a lot of the Apprenticeships require a BTec in Engineering. Is it possible to do a foundation year in Engineering and then apply for a Degree Apprenticeship?
Have you asked the apprenticeship organisers about your OU modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
craftywizardboy
Rep:
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Have you asked the apprenticeship organisers about your OU modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They have looked on it but it only forms a small part of my application. The main qualification they look at is the BTec.
Doones
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
They have looked on it but it only forms a small part of my application. The main qualification they look at is the BTec.
Can you post up a link to it?

I'm going to tag National Careers Service and add a link to the apprenticeships and alternatives to university forum for someone more expert to help
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi there,

It can be possible yes.

Foundation degrees are like doing a level 5 apprenticeship so you would be applying for degree level apprenticeships which are level 6 as this is a progression route for you and should be all funded by the employer.

I hope that helps

Sophie.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by National Careers Service)
Hi there,

It can be possible yes.

Foundation degrees are like doing a level 5 apprenticeship so you would be applying for degree level apprenticeships which are level 6 as this is a progression route for you and should be all funded by the employer.

I hope that helps

Sophie.
OP doesn't mean doing a foundation degree but rather doing a foundation year at a university, which would be a level 3 equivalent.
Last edited by Helloworld_95; 3 years ago
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
OP doesn't mean doing a foundation degree but rather doing a foundation year at a university, which would be a level 3 equivalent.
Hi,

Apologies for the misunderstanding OP!

For many universities, the foundation year in engineering comes as an integrated part of a longer engineering course – however, this is not always the case so speaking with the universities directly will certainly be the most recommended action.

With regards to the apprenticeship opportunities afterwards, again it is best to speak with the apprenticeship offering employer directly to explain your particular situation and get the most accurate details about whether the academic route you are planning to take would be acceptable to apply for the apprenticeship position.

As it is not the most common route, I am unsure if there is a specific ‘golden rule’ with regards to these situation and it may be based more on a case by case basis – you may not have the specific qualifications the employer is asking for but you may be able to demonstrate the appropriate skills needed.

I hope this helps as a starting point!

Thanks

Tom.
Doones
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I'd add that doing a foundation year with the intention of dropping out to do an apprenticeship afterwards is an expensive way of going about it. You will have a year's tuition and maintenance and living costs, albeit somewhat covered by your student loan.

And I'm still not convinced the BTEC you have will actually exclude you from engineering apprenticeships. Is it level 3?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last edited by Doones; 3 years ago
craftywizardboy
Rep:
(Original post by Doonesbury)
I'd add that doing a foundation year with the intention of dropping out to do an apprenticeship afterwards is an expensive way of going about it. You will have a year's tuition and maintenance and living costs, albeit somewhat covered by your student loan.

And I'm still not convinced the BTEC you have will actually exclude you from engineering apprenticeships. Is it level 3?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is a level 3 Extended Diploma but unfortunately, it is in Applied Sciences and not in Engineering. Most of the Universities/Employers I've talked to pretty much require the BTec in Engineering as this is the main level 3 qualification. For the foundation year, Ill be at the University of Birmingham so I should be able to save money by living at home.

Thanks for all the quick replies.
Doones
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It is a level 3 Extended Diploma but unfortunately, it is in Applied Sciences and not in Engineering. Most of the Universities/Employers I've talked to pretty much require the BTec in Engineering as this is the main level 3 qualification. For the foundation year, Ill be at the University of Birmingham so I should be able to save money by living at home.

Thanks for all the quick replies.
Are you applying for degree/higher apprenticeships? Can you provide a link to an example apprenticeship? Would they accept Applied Sciences supplemented by A-level Maths?

Edit: alternatively, why not just complete your degree at Birmingham. You can do a year in industry and summer work placements.
Last edited by Doones; 3 years ago
craftywizardboy
Rep:
(Original post by Doones)
Are you applying for degree/higher apprenticeships? Can you provide a link to an example apprenticeship? Would they accept Applied Sciences supplemented by A-level Maths?

Edit: alternatively, why not just complete your degree at Birmingham. You can do a year in industry and summer work placements.
https://new.siemens.com/uk/en/compan...ticeships.html - Here is one from Siemens that I wanted to do but required BTec Engineering.
I wouldn't mind going to Birmingham, the problem for me would be tuition fee costs and it would be preferable if I didn't stay home due to personal reasons.
BAE systems was another one I wanted to do. Im in my final year of Applied Sciences and I do regret not doing A level Maths.
Doones
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
https://new.siemens.com/uk/en/compan...ticeships.html - Here is one from Siemens that I wanted to do but required BTec Engineering.
I wouldn't mind going to Birmingham, the problem for me would be tuition fee costs and it would be preferable if I didn't stay home due to personal reasons.
BAE systems was another one I wanted to do. Im in my final year of Applied Sciences and I do regret not doing A level Maths.
Yes I saw that one too

The student loan covers your Birmingham tuition fees in full, for all 4 (or 5) years. And it's not means-tested.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (143)
42.18%
Not yet, but I will soon (61)
17.99%
No (135)
39.82%

Watched Threads