GCSE’s for Medicine Watch

Lucypryce
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
What GCSE’s would you say are required to study medicine. I know a lot of university’s state B’s in Maths, English and Science on their entry requirements although in reality you need to do a lot better that this to compete with others. I got 9a’s and 2b’s with the b’s in Physics and Welsh.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
junior.doctor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Your GCSEs are fine.

In general, you need to make sure that you meet the minimum requirements for the places you’re applying.

Then you need to apply to your strengths. Some of the threads at the top of the forum will have details about how each university considers GCSEs once you meet the minimum requirement, and how they score them. There will some some unis that place very little emphasis on overall GCSEs beyond the minimum, and others who score them and count that score as a significant part of your application. But look through some of the medicine documents and threads on the forum and you’ll find that information 🙂
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lucypryce)
What GCSE’s would you say are required to study medicine. I know a lot of university’s state B’s in Maths, English and Science on their entry requirements although in reality you need to do a lot better that this to compete with others. I got 9a’s and 2b’s with the b’s in Physics and Welsh.
You would need to avoid Med Schools who weight heavily using GCSE grades to decide who they interview. There are quite a few and you generally need at least a handful of A* grades to get an interview, or in the extreme 7 or 8 x A* grades (Cardiff).

To your advantage, Liverpool score A grade GCSEs exactly the same as A* grades in their selection, then use UKCAT ranking. A lot of the others use one of the aptitude tests (UKCAT and BMAT) as their sole criteria for selection for interview as long as you meet minimum requirements (which you should do in most cases, if not all). Those using UKCAT in this way include Sheffield, Newcastle, Bristol, Southampton, Manchester, St Georges, Plymouth. Others like Keele and Sunderland have a very low UKCAT threshold, then look more at personal qualities.

When you have your UKCAT result, then post on this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5622970 for advice on where to apply. The thread is quiet at the moment but gets really busy from around July/August until mid October.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?