Which St Andrews accommodation should I choose? Watch

Ottoline
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I've got a place at St Andrews (already have my A Levels!) but I can't go to the open days to see accommodation because I'm away doing gap year stuff. I went to visit a friend and had a look around but obviously i couldn't go inside any except the one she's in. I'm not looking for self-catered or anything fancy, just an ordinary single room. Of the ones she recommended, I really like the look of St Salvador and McIntosh on the website, and I've seen them both from the outside, but which should I choose? Can anyone tell me what these halls are like and what kind of people end up in each? Also, are there any better halls haven't noticed?

Also, lots of people have been telling me whether or not to ask for an ensuite. I'd rather save the money, but at the same time I'm going to be massively in debt anyway, so is it better to have an ensuite, or does it not make much difference?

Thank you!
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Ottoline)
I've got a place at St Andrews (already have my A Levels!) but I can't go to the open days to see accommodation because I'm away doing gap year stuff. I went to visit a friend and had a look around but obviously i couldn't go inside any except the one she's in. I'm not looking for self-catered or anything fancy, just an ordinary single room. Of the ones she recommended, I really like the look of St Salvador and McIntosh on the website, and I've seen them both from the outside, but which should I choose? Can anyone tell me what these halls are like and what kind of people end up in each? Also, are there any better halls haven't noticed?

Also, lots of people have been telling me whether or not to ask for an ensuite. I'd rather save the money, but at the same time I'm going to be massively in debt anyway, so is it better to have an ensuite, or does it not make much difference?

Thank you!
I'm probably the only person who has stayed in 4 different halls and visited most of the others. much as i've tried to think of a 'best' the reality is each has its own pros and cons which balance out remarkably well. you also can't choose a hall (except Melville if you are a bit less well-off), only a category.

i think ensuite is unnecessary extra expense, you are only otherwise sharing with 5 other people; but you will have to have ensuite if you get DRA/Fife Park etc.
Last edited by A Rolling Stone; 11 months ago
Harlastan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
What's your opinion on catered vs non catered halls?
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
I'm probably the only person who has stayed in 4 different halls and visited most of the others. much as i've tried to think of a 'best' the reality is each has its own pros and cons which balance out remarkably well. you also can't choose a hall (except Melville if you are a bit less well-off), only a category.

i think ensuite is unnecessary extra expense, you are only otherwise sharing with 5 other people; but you will have to have ensuite if you get DRA/Fife Park etc.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Harlastan)
What's your opinion on catered vs non catered halls?
in first year - go with whichever one suits you best

beyond first year - do not live in catered halls. either private accomo or self-catered
Harlastan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
l'm asking bc l don't know what suits me best really. Are groceries cheap and accessible? Is the catered food good nutrition wise? Can you have a second serving? Can you take food to your room? Thanks
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
in first year - go with whichever one suits you best

beyond first year - do not live in catered halls. either private accomo or self-catered
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (133)
59.38%
Yes- I don't like it (10)
4.46%
No- I want it (65)
29.02%
No- I don't want it (16)