Need help on what engine size I should choose for first car Watch

Erin p
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey, I’ve seen a 2nd hand car 2014 plate 1.4 and another 1.6 engine size, what will insurance be roughly does any one know? I’m 18 and my test is in April, does anyone know roughly don’t mind paying £1500+ a year. Thank you
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Erin p)
Hey, I’ve seen a 2nd hand car 2014 plate 1.4 and another 1.6 engine size, what will insurance be roughly does any one know? I’m 18 and my test is in April, does anyone know roughly don’t mind paying £1500+ a year. Thank you
Not a clue. Too many factors.

You need to run a few quotes on multiple comparison sites for an idea.
Erin p
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)

okay, thank you.
a-spiringmedic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i bought a 1.0 l and tbh it is extremely hard to pick up speed so if you can afford the insurance i'd recommend u get a bigger engine
callum2807
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Basically, smaller the engine. Cheaper the insurance will be, plus a 3 door is also cheaper on insurance than a 5 door weirdly enough. But smaller the engine the slower the car will be and smaller fuel tank meaning you stop for fuel more often. Its down to your choice
Erin p
Rep:
?
(Original post by a-spiringmedic)
i bought a 1.0 l and tbh it is extremely hard to pick up speed so if you can afford the insurance i'd recommend u get a bigger
Its a golf, really low mileage they are good cars and I have money saved, I just find they insurance quote sights hard to read and they give me my provisional liecence insurance instead of what the insurance will be after I’m driving it’s a pain, if u don’t mind me asking how much are you roughly for insurance?
Erin p
Rep:
?
(Original post by callum2807)
Basically, smaller the engine. Cheaper the insurance will be, plus a 3 door is also cheaper on insurance than a 5 door weirdly enough. But smaller the engine the slower the car will be and smaller fuel tank meaning you stop for fuel more often. Its down to your choice
Hey, that’s actually really helpful as I didn’t know either of that, will keep that advise thank you
a-spiringmedic
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Its a golf, really low mileage they are good cars and I have money saved, I just find they insurance quote sights hard to read and they give me my provisional liecence insurance instead of what the insurance will be after I’m driving it’s a pain, if u don’t mind me asking how much are you roughly for insurance?
vw polo, 1.0 litre, bought it brand new and 1.3k without blackbox i was 19 when i got it
when your looking at quotes right now put it in as if u've passed your test (i dont think license number is compulsory in a quote) so you get a rough idea of how much you'll be paying
honestly i was looking at insurance quotes for ages and they would always be different so keep checking especially around the time u want to buy your car and insure it
Erin p
Rep:
?
Okay that’s fab, how do you find vw as a car? Did you find it easy to drive and are they actually good cars?
vw polo, 1.0 litre, bought it brand new and 1.3k without blackbox i was 19 when i got it
when your looking at quotes right now put it in as if u've passed your test (i dont think license number is compulsory in a quote) so you get a rough idea of how much you'll be paying
honestly i was looking at insurance quotes for ages and they would always be different so keep checking especially around the time u want to buy your car and insure it
RoyalSheepy
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by callum2807)
Why does everyone think this... This is really not the reality. It's just a contributing factor.

The fact is a 2.0TDI Golf Golf GTD may be cheaper to insure than a 1.25 N/A Ford Fiesta. The reality is, you have to do many quotes on many different cars to see if your premium is higher or lower.

Insurance doesn't always work in the way everyone else predicts.
Last edited by RoyalSheepy; 2 weeks ago
a-spiringmedic
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
yes
amazing cars well worth investing in
Okay that’s fab, how do you find vw as a car? Did you find it easy to drive and are they actually good cars?
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)

My thoughts exactly.
nevershear
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Why does everyone think this... This is really not the reality. It's just a contributing factor.

The fact is a 2.0TDI Golf Golf GTD may be cheaper to insure than a 1.25 N/A Ford Fiesta. The reality is, you have to do many quotes on many different cars to see if your premium is higher or lower.

Insurance doesn't always work in the way everyone else predicts.
This.

An AMG C63 (4L V8) is cheaper for me to insure than a 1l (3cyl turbo) Ford Fiesta. Admittedly only by £150, but still. I've had my license for just over a year. However multiple ford fiestas get planted into roundabouts around here, but you will never catch another 26 year old in my area in a C63.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
i bought a 1.0 l and tbh it is extremely hard to pick up speed so if you can afford the insurance i'd recommend u get a bigger engine
I second this! my car is only 1L and it's extremely hard to pick up. It takes ages to get from 0-30 mph, especially in the city. I really wish I waited a bit longer and got a 1.2L. However, I only pay £20 for road tax and my petrol cost is really low. You win some and you lose some!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads