sophiebailo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I achieved grades... Maths-9 Chemistry-9 Biology-9 Physics-7 Further maths-A Graphics-B English lit-6 English lang-6 Spanish-5 Geography-5 at GCSE and I am currently studying biology, chemistry, ,maths and further maths at A-level. my targets are A* in maths and further maths, then A in biology and chemistry however I think that this is wishful thinking to be honest but I am determined to work for this.I have read on some websites that uni's can look at GCSE results and some want 7 grades 7 or above. I only have 5 so i am worried about this. Does anyone know of any university that I should definitely not apply to because of my GCSE's and have any tips for applying to medicine. I do really want to go to a higher achieving uni such as oxbridge, imperial college or UCL however I'm not sure if this is too high of a goal with my GCSE results. Thank you!
Last edited by sophiebailo; 6 months ago
RoseRouge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by sophiebailo)
I achieved grades... Maths-9 Chemistry-9 Biology-9 Physics-7 Further maths-A Graphics-B English lit-6 English lang-6 Spanish-5 Geography-5 at GCSE and I am currently studying biology, chemistry, ,maths and further maths at A-level. my targets are A* in maths and further maths, then A in biology and chemistry however I think that this is wishful thinking to be honest but I am determined to work for this.I have read on some websites that uni's can look at GCSE results and some want 7 grades 7 or above. I only have 5 so i am worried about this. Does anyone know of any university that I should definitely not apply to because of my GCSE's and have any tips for applying to medicine. I do really want to go to a higher achieving uni such as oxbridge, imperial college or UCL however I'm not sure if this is too high of a goal with my GCSE results. Thank you!
follow your dreams work hard play harder, just ace your A Levels and you'll be fine, yes they do look for perfect gcses but you'll also have an interview and personality and your passion for medicine is also very important! Instead of worring about your grades and concentrate on what you can do now to increase your chances of doing medicine at whatever uni
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you really want to do Medicine then it doesn't really matter where you go.
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Some Med Schools give interviews based heavily on GCSE grades, others base it more on UKCAT or BMAT aptitude tests, some on a combination of the first two mentioned, a couple base it more on personal qualities. You would just have to avoid those who are very heavy on GCSE criteria, although even with some of those a really high UKCAT score may compensate.

There are no higher performing Uni's for medicine - they all teach to the same GMC standard. When you move into training following your degree, it makes no difference at all where you obtained it. You should base your choice firstly on where you are likely to get an interview, then on things like whether you like the course structure, what you thought of the Uni etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?