School leaving age should be raised

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
In my opinion too many people are leaving school or academic education early, though some do continue after 16. Working class students tend to do btecs and apprenticeships and are more likely to drop out of A levels and higher education. I feel like education after 18 should be compulsory. Working class people who have Working class values say education doesnt get you anywhere and does your head in and if you can't handle the stress then dont study when stress comes with everything.
AlexS101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is absolutely no point in raising the school leaving age if the current finances and structures remain in place. Some people either lack the ability or attitude to succeed at A levels and forcing these people to stay at school would just make life harder for everyone. There is also a need for semi-skilled tradespeople and other jobs that can be better taught through apprenticeships so it is daft to force people to sit through classroom education that will be of little use in their everyday life or careers. Many people are also unsure as to what they want to do at the age of 16 and in many ways, it would be better to have a system that acknowledges this and allows people to gain life experience and return to education at any point in their life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15.1%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
31.88%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.75%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.72%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.7%
I think it's an unfair expectation (74)
24.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.01%

Watched Threads