polpo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What is the difference between automatic resulting trusts and normal resulting trusts, and what are the theories associated with it? I'm really confused on this, and can only find small paragraphs of information in textbooks etc.
polpo
Rep:
?
Bump
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
From my notes:

Denning MR: "The distinction between the two categories of resulting trusts is
important because they operate in different ways. Putting it shortly, in the first category,
subject to any provisions in the instrument, the matter is one of intention, with the
rebuttable presumption of a resulting trust applying if the intention is not made
manifest. For the second category, there is no mention of any expression of intention in
any instrument, or of any presumption of a resulting trust: the resulting trust takes
effect by operation of law, and so appears to be automatic. What a man fails effectually
to dispose of remains automatically vested in him, and no question of any mere
presumption can arise. The two categories are thus of presumed resulting trusts and
automatic resulting trusts. The first question must therefore be into which category any
given case falls; and to determine this one must know what is the distinction between
the two categories."

Can't even be bothered to fix the lines.
polpo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
From my notes:

important because they operate in different ways. Putting it shortly, in the first category,
subject to any provisions in the instrument, the matter is one of intention, with the
rebuttable presumption of a resulting trust applying if the intention is not made
manifest. For the second category, there is no mention of any expression of intention in
any instrument, or of any presumption of a resulting trust: the resulting trust takes
effect by operation of law, and so appears to be automatic. What a man fails effectually
presumption can arise. The two categories are thus of presumed resulting trusts and
automatic resulting trusts. The first question must therefore be into which category any
given case falls; and to determine this one must know what is the distinction between
the two categories."

Thanks a lot!πŸ˜πŸ‘
polpo
Rep:
?
From my notes:

the two categories."

So the resulting trusts are those with an intention which fails for some reason, and automatic resulting trusts occur even if there is no intention?
polpo
Rep:
?
From my notes:

the two categories."

So the resulting trusts are those with an intention which fails for some reason, and automatic resulting trusts occur even if there is no intention?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If Denning can't explain it to you, I ain't gonna be able to.

Auto -- by operation of law. Presumption -- by rebuttable presumption (e.g. giving legal property; there would be a rebuttable presumption that you're to retain the beneficial title, Re Vandervell No 2, as espoused by Mr Megarry).
polpo
Rep:
?
If Denning can't explain it to you, I ain't gonna be able to.

Auto -- by operation of law. Presumption -- by rebuttable presumption (e.g. giving legal property; there would be a rebuttable presumption that you're to retain the beneficial title, Re Vandervell No 2, as espoused by Mr Megarry).
Fair enough lolπŸ˜‚ thanks for the help πŸ‘
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (186)
29.06%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.56%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.06%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.44%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.97%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.94%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.13%

Watched Threads