Product vs Industry

Watch this thread
SaucyStiglitz
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What gives the best experience/exit opps? From what I’ve seen at the analyst level product groups is better for doing the actual execution but only really if your in M&A or levfin, ECM and DCM seem quite limited on their exit opps.
I would think that industry groups would be good for getting the overall experience of IBD and experience with all the different parts but it seems this isn’t the case and you mainly pitch to clients for the deals but don’t actually execute the deal and have to outsource it to the product groups (aside from GS)
Just curious if anyone could let me know what generally is seen better at the analyst level for giving you the best exit opps/experience
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
exit opps to what? this question is dependent on the end goal.

if you want to be a career banker - capital markets (ECM/DCM) by a large margin imo to optimise on work/life balance (but this is dependent on your definition which can't really be achieved unless you've worked for a number of years)

if you want to leave for PE (M&A/Coverage/LevFin) are about on par, each firm will have slightly varying setups - these divisions give you pretty much similar skillsets in terms of ppt, xls, modeling, client interaction, industry & product knowledge.
SaucyStiglitz
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
exit opps to what? this question is dependent on the end goal.

if you want to be a career banker - capital markets (ECM/DCM) by a large margin imo to optimise on work/life balance (but this is dependent on your definition which can't really be achieved unless you've worked for a number of years)

if you want to leave for PE (M&A/Coverage/LevFin) are about on par, each firm will have slightly varying setups - these divisions give you pretty much similar skillsets in terms of ppt, xls, modeling, client interaction, industry & product knowledge.
Sorry missed the most important part, exit opps as in prob PE after the 2 years, can’t see me sticking it as a career banker, I’ve found like you said it’s really dependant on the firm and how they’re setup for example GS TMT doing all their valuation/modelling etc themselves whereas other firms who outsource to the m&a team
Do you have any insight on ER as in work life/exit opps etc, seems to have a stigma attached, perhaps because the work is seen as boring? I know a lot from ER move over to HF which I think could be interesting but not sure on my path after IB tbh so difficult to decide
gr8wizard10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
i'm not too clued up. take a look at M&I articles
username738914
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
haven't heard of many standalone m&a groups in london but might be wrong. standard choices are coverage/m&a/levfin/sponsors
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads