Sadiq Khan criticised for taking holiday in middle of knife crime crisis Watch

Decahedron
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
solve the riddle:

How many stabbings does it take for everyone in London to disappear?
Nearly 9 million?
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This knife crime crisis has been going on for ages. I have no opinion of the dude but come on he's allowed a holiday.
OBaIMA
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There’s been a knife crisis in London for like the past 5 years. Surely the guy needs to go on holiday at some point?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
viffer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
He is recharging his batteries and rejuvenating himself for the fight against the knife crime epidemic. Top man. Brilliant Mayor

#maybenot
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I can't think of any action he could take that requires him to be physically present in the country other than becoming literal batman, so... whatever.
TensorTympani
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just shows the Mayors commitment to London and his job as whole, because he can stay in London to watch the fireworks on year but he can't come back to tackle this problem.
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh get a grip
Do you really think he’d be completely out of contact when he’s away?
What can he do in London that he can’t do away?
Should he don a cape and mask and patrol Del Boy style?
He is legally entitled to a holiday
(Original post by TensorTympani)
Just shows the Mayors commitment to London and his job as whole, because he can stay in London to watch the fireworks on year but he can't come back to tackle this problem.
Letsbereal
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well I doubt this problem is going to be solved within the next 10 years so can’t blame Khan for it as much as I don’t like the man. However, he’s falling victim due to his bad poltciing and grand standing. Absent and silent on violent crime and very vocal on Trump paying a visit to the UK. You’re mayor of London dude. Stay in your lane and deal with things within your remit rather than virtue signal and give time to blimps etc. I may come across here as right wing but thought Boris was also terrible. Only person who treated the role seriously rather than a stepping stone to something else was Ken Livingsstone who I don’t like but did the job he was supposed to do well which was be mayor of london
TensorTympani
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
Oh get a grip
Do you really think he’d be completely out of contact when he’s away?
What can he do in London that he can’t do away?
Should he don a cape and mask and patrol Del Boy style?
He is legally entitled to a holiday
Well if he did not take the holiday he would be in more contact than he would be if he went, common sense?
He is legally entitled to a holiday, but that does not mean he takes holidays in times of crisis like this.
harrowbelowsea
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Khan must have close connections to people in the Muslim community that can help solve this crisis considering how close knit the community is.
viffer
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by OBaIMA)
There’s been a knife crisis in London for like the past 5 years. Surely the guy needs to go on holiday at some point?
I wish he would go on a career break never mind a holiday. He is more interested in political point-scoring soundbites than effective action. You know, his supposed day job
viffer
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
What the **** is he supposed to do?
Something about the crisis gripping 'his' City might be worth considering
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
TSR is turning into the Daily Mail comments section. Some posts are almost word by word.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The crisis that’s been going on for years? And will continue for decades?
(Original post by TensorTympani)
Well if he did not take the holiday he would be in more contact than he would be if he went, common sense?
He is legally entitled to a holiday, but that does not mean he takes holidays in times of crisis like this.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by harrowbelowsea)
Khan must have close connections to people in the Muslim community that can help solve this crisis considering how close knit the community is.
It's mostly black males tho. Most of which are probably not Muslim. The community isn't that "close knit", especially not through the whole of London.
viffer
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by harrowbelowsea)
Are Postcode turf-war knifings the same as communities looking after themselves.

Unless/until the elephant in the room is addressed wrt who is doing what to whom and why it will not get better.

The statistics do not lie.

Ethicity, demographics, colour of the rosettes on the local and national political representatives. eg IC3 males with no positive male influences in their lives in the likes of Hackney, Tottenham, Brixton represented by Labour Councils and the likes Abbott and Lammy

The vast majority of children who experience poverty and lack of economic opportunities do not make the same life(style) choices.

No one twists their arms up their backs.
Last edited by viffer; 1 week ago
yankeedog1953
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I Watched a BBC doc. on your prison system. I came away with the impression that sentences were much too short for the crime. If. you want to reduce crime you are going to have to lengthen your sentences considerably
viffer
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
It's telling that the comments tend to be no more specific that "do something about the problem".
It is indeed telling. You have to be very careful how you word the root of the problem for fear of a TSR mod culling your post (at best) or a knock at the door from the Meeds Police (at worst)
Decahedron
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yankeedog1953)
I Watched a BBC doc. on your prison system. I came away with the impression that sentences were much too short for the crime. If. you want to reduce crime you are going to have to lengthen your sentences considerably
Because crime rates are so much better in the US... :rofl:

The US is at 90 in the world for their murder rate.
The UK is at 174 in the world for their murder rate.
(Out of 230).

Fun Facts:
USA contains 22% of the world's prison population.
0.7% of the population of the US is in prison.
The prison system cost the Gov $74 billion a year.
In the last 40 years there has been more than a 500% increase in the prison population despite crime falling.
yankeedog1953
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Point?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads